Dismiss Notice
This Section is READ ONLY - All Posts Are Archived

People wonder why I Hate Auto (and Free) attack so much . . . . .

Discussion in 'Release 22 Feedback' started by Weins201, Sep 30, 2015.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Weins201

Weins201 Avatar

Well I fell it is a complete joke that doing nothing (not playing the game) by just hitting a button and letting the game just shoot (at least 3 times faster doing more damage) than using skills which I have trained up. I have my ranged skills all above 70 and the innates 50 for ranged and above 30 in all th rest.

So how and why is it that when I go out and attack Bears that the Auto attack actually works better easier than my hard earned skills?

Auto attack should only do MINIMAL damage and should NOT shoot (hit) 2 times or faster than Skills.

All it tells me is I have completely wasted my time training thses skills, buying the better arrows when I can do more just letting some in game innate AI just wail away at the target :-(

Weak sorry, but that is not playing at all :-(

2. Sold and gone

Sold and gone Avatar

Somewhere underground waiting to get you!
    I agree. This is a skill for people that are watching movies while playing. But we have to understand, that is todays generation, little effort for a lot of gain. Not sure how we can overcome this.

Soulicide likes this.
  3. Godfrey

Godfrey Avatar

Not everyone wants to be a twitch baby. Choices.

4. Sold and gone

Sold and gone Avatar

I am not in favor of twitch by any means. I think there has to be a better solution.

5. Weins201

Weins201 Avatar

What is a twitch baby? If all you do is play with auto attack you are not even "playing" the game. I know some don't have fast connections and at times you get spun around and have to run away and shooting while retreating is OK, but all I am saying is this should NOT be the Go To way to fight. ATM there are way to many people who this is all they do. :-( And they choose it because it actually works better than training a skill, planning and building a good deck and using those skills.

6. Godfrey

Godfrey Avatar

Why? We already have two ways to play. Why pigeon-hole players into one style? Let people play the way they want.

I thought people wanted free attack for added challenge and now people are complaining because it's harder? :eek:

Ravicus Domdred likes this.
  7. Sold and gone

Sold and gone Avatar

for one thing I am not "people" and I have my own opinion. I was busy in RL when all this stuff was happening. I am not trying to pigeon hole anyone. I am just stating my opinion :). If we are going to have 2 ways to play do you not think they should be balanced?

Weins201 likes this.
  8. Godfrey

Godfrey Avatar

No, that's not my understanding of why players wanted the free attack option. The impression I got was that people (I mean, in general) thought auto was too easy and wanted something more challenging so it seems odd to me that now they want it to be just as easy as auto. I really don't care one way of another, but it just seems odd to me.

9. Weins201

Weins201 Avatar

Different ways t play is not what I am talking about I am talking about the fact that Auto Attack and free attack just hit the target irrigardless of the skill training and setup of a player that took a lot of thought, time, and planning to make his template. As it stands now ANY archer can just use Auto Attack, and not worry about training any other skills and just sit there. the only thing you have to do is have a target in front of you. It does as much if not more damage than a fully skilled decked out player. Works the same for any of the combat skills. I do not know about magery since the spells are different.

But the FACT that auto attack (free) attack are Go To play styles tells me that there si something wrong and WAY out of balance.

Again my point is that somthign that just hits over and over without using ANY skills should NOT be able to even come close to w fully trained (>50) player.

FrostII and 4EverLost like this.
  10. Godfrey

Godfrey Avatar

With the exception of magic, your weapon should be your primary damage dealer and the skills are just augmentations (hit a bit harder, faster, or stun the target, etc.). I think of skills as moves that can turn the tide in a fight, not be the main course.

The problem is that mobs can be killed too quickly and the solution is to make them do less damage and have more health so the fight takes longer and you can think about using your skills strategically. My guess is they will balance them as time goes on.

11. FrostII

FrostII Bug Hunter

Exactly! ;)

After getting a lot of skills up into the 60's/70's, I can ALWAYS do much more damage by just ignoring all my glyphs, hit T, face the target and stay within range.

Why did I spend all that time raising those skills again???? :confused:

The irony is - with what I have invested in skills - I should be doing the damage that AutoAttack is - AND I AM NOT.
    Something is off..............

devourerofmemes and himmelweiss like this.
  12. himmelweiss

himmelweiss Avatar

You sir nailed it!

FrostII likes this.
  13. Lord_Darkmoon

Lord_Darkmoon Avatar

Basically you not even have to look at the enemy with auto-attack enabled. Just watch the sky or some plants behind you by moving the camera around, push 1,2,3,4 from now and then... Ah, the thrill of combat! ;)

14. Godfrey

Godfrey Avatar

Again, the answer isn't to make auto less powerful or skills more powerful. Mobs need more longevity to give us the chance to think about using skills strategically.

The immediate reaction for players to gravitate to the nerf/buff solution to skills and powers in MMOs is why the games become so screwed up. IMO:
    • Your weapon should be the most powerful. That means if you have auto attack, it will do the most damage
    • Skills are augmentations, not damage dealers in and of themselves. They should enhance combat, not be the primary source of damage. They should provide subtle, unexpected changes during combat, which also makes PvP more unpredictable and exciting.
    • Extending the longevity of mobs allows you to have to think strategically about what you are doing and what skills you are going to use, instead of having these 5-second battles. Nerfing attacks or buffing skills won't solve that problem. It will just change what kills the mob in 5 seconds. It still winds up being a boring, tedious, 5-second battle.

15. Lord_Darkmoon

Lord_Darkmoon Avatar

The whole system doesn't work. What is so exciting about the the combat system we have now when I can look at the sky instead of having to react to the enemy, jump aside, hammer my sword at him, dodge, bring up my shield to block...?
    Oh well, then I'm back to watching flowers and the sky and push 1,2,3,4,5 occassionally while waiting for the enemy to drop to the ground...

Last edited: Oct 1, 2015
  16. Drocis the Devious

Drocis the Devious Avatar

I think the game should either be full auto-attack or no auto-attack. It's not something that can be balanced for pvp if you have both options.

KuBaTRiZeS and galdrmadhr like this.
  17. Godfrey

Godfrey Avatar

I'll agree with that.
    Only one should be allowed in PvP.

For everything else, you should have a choice.

18. Arkah EMPstrike

Arkah EMPstrike Avatar

In weapon trees, skills should not be your primary source of damage. The skills apply damage and an additional affect to allow you or your team an advantage, the bulk of your damage with a bow or weapon SHOULD coem from hitting things with the weapon.

For bows, Aim'ed shot is intended to be a high damage burst shot with a better chance to hit.

Also, things still need to be balanced.

19. Lord_Darkmoon

Lord_Darkmoon Avatar

Why do we need so many skills in the first place? Why not just have the regular attacks and defenses and a few really special attacks?

20. StrangerDiamond

StrangerDiamond Avatar

The amount of things I would change in this game before even talking about balancing... I'm still open to deliver anti-latency algorythms for free to the devs if asked like a gentleman. I'm really not asking anything in return I want everyone to have fun :(

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.