Performance issue on Linux

Discussion in 'New Player Welcome' started by hulahula, Sep 21, 2018.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. hulahula

hulahula Avatar

Hello i just bought SotA via Steam on Linux and i'm experiencing some performance issues.
    The specs: GeForce GTX 1070 Ti, Intel i7-5930K, 32 GB Ram, INTEL SSDPEDMW800G4 (SSD), latest 396 nvidia driver, on current Manjaro XFCE with a 250MBit Internet connection.

I tried all detail settings (low/mid/high), but all behave the same: if i move the view arround, it seems, like the game is trying to load stuff and hangs for about 0.5-1.0 second. Even chaning the resolution does not help.

Any hints what i could try?

Sentinel2 and Feeyo like this.
  2. Alley Oop

Alley Oop Bug Hunter Bug Moderator

there's been hitching reported on multiple OSes since R54, it's not just us manjaroos. i do recommend installing cuda, if you haven't. it's been some years since i did it but i saw a big bump in framerate when i did. ...that won't help the hitching, though. it is likely a unity bug, and port just has to wait.

3. Vladamir Begemot

Vladamir Begemot Avatar

Maybe we'll get lucky and the hitching will become less (all OS's) next Thursday, when R58 comes out.

On Windows the hitching builds up over time for me, so a reset of the client every now and then helps a lot.

4. Sentinel2

Sentinel2 Avatar

I'll mess around with the QA server the next few days. I noticed hitching occurred FAR less on QA in previous releases than production release. I've wondered if it's related to active population at the time. Just a suspicion. Some element affecting it.

5. hulahula

hulahula Avatar

Thanks for the info. Then let's wait for next Thursday ... Now at least, the game is unplayable

Feeyo likes this.
  6. Feeyo

Feeyo Avatar

Sentinel2 and Jaesun like this.
  7. Sorthious

Sorthious Avatar

This has been an ongoing issue for many of us. It predates r54, but that is the release where it got really bad. Developers continue to leave us in the dark about what the cause may be, or what they are doing to correct it. I've basically given up on ever having it fixed. It's a shame too, because this is a really great game, aside from the performance issues. Yet, rather than fix the issue, or at least let us know what the issue is, new stuff gets churned out every month without any fixes for hitching, not to mention the constant drain on memory. It makes no sense that it works nearly hitch free on the QA server and is barely playable on the production server. As @Sentinel2 said, it seems like it may be related to the amount of players on the server at a given time. Less players on QA seem to equate to less hitching. Oh well, enough of my rant. I wouldn't get your hopes up too high for any change to the hitching issue.

Feeyo and Jaesun like this.
  8. Sorthious

Sorthious Avatar

Only problem with the idea of it being solely a Unity bug is that it doesn't explain why the performance on QA is so much better than Production. If it were just a Unity bug then one would expect it to be present on both QA/Production.

Feeyo likes this.
  9. Alley Oop

Alley Oop Bug Hunter Bug Moderator

if it were a matter of server load, it wouldn't hitch in offline, though, and it does.

Sorthious, Jaesun and Feeyo like this.
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.