PERMADEATH

Discussion in 'Skills and Combat' started by mikeaw1101, Feb 23, 2015.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. mikeaw1101

mikeaw1101 Avatar

Wow, I just had a thought... Maybe the biggest PK and PvP haters on here are planning to play Shroud with self-imposed "permadeath" rules? Like, enforced by their guild or something? At least, that could explain their unreasonable loathing for everything player vs. player related. Probably wrong, just trying to see the argument from all sides; just a thought.

Tahru and Morkul like this.
  2. Burzmali

Burzmali Avatar

A proportion of players of any game are irredeemable asshats that want nothing more than to make as many of their fellow players as miserable as possible. PvP gives them a direct means to do so, especially if it causes the target to suffer some harsh penalty like getting looted. Ergo, arguing for more power to PvP is the same as arguing to enable more griefing. Plenty of PvPers aren't asshats, but then again folks seem to be camping moongates en masse from time to time so clearly the griefer hold sway at the moment.

3. Kain3

Kain3 Avatar

If only some pvp-rs werent so...well....so into destroying the gaming experience of their fellow players, pvp would have been more popular. I love pvp and especially rp-pvp where there is an actual story that flows even if you lose and get captured by your attackers prompting a whole scenario.

4. Damian Killingsworth

Damian Killingsworth Avatar

this thread is already doomed

MalakBrightpalm, Lord Lonn and Tahru like this.
  5. Ristra

Ristra Avatar

Permadeath threads never die. O.O

6. Lord Tachys al`Fahn

Lord Tachys al`Fahn Avatar

I think you hit it on the nail with the first few words of your "thought"... let's skip over PvP (because no one truly has a problem with true pvpers), and focus on PK.

OF COURSE people hate PKers... they have been the bane of MMORPG existence since UO helped birth them into existence as a playstyle!!!!

It is a playstyle that has at it's heart the NEED to ruin other's enjoyment of a game for it to be entertaining. PKers are not enjoying themselves unless they know that on the other side of the internet connection, someone is raging or whining because they just got jumped and dry-looted. They live for leaving something on the side of a doorway for some unsuspecting but curious fop to go "Ooooh... I wonder what's inside it..." so the massively deadly trap inside it can pop and instantly drop them, hopefully with some awesome loot that the PKer was at ZERO risk to acquire.

I hear that mantra chanted over and over, risk vs reward... and PKers are the ones chanting it the loudest. The irony is thick with this one, as there is no other playstyle that engages in less risk for potentially monumental reward.

Over... and over... and over... until they have scammed/griefed/spawn-camped/etc everyone else out of "existence". Then they whine to all the gods that be about how boring this game is and how much it sucks because they have no one else to "fight" and scam.

I think it is disingenuous of you to even proffer the possibility of players that would normally have no desire for a permadeath playstyle as desiring to play this game in such a manner, and then ascribe to them an loathing and hatred bordering on insanity for PvP related topics when it is the PKers that create such a mindset.

I know I am not speaking for the majority of non-PvPers, because I thoroughly intend to engage in that activity, but I can say with a particular degree of certainty that those who are most vehemently opposed to PvP topics, are that way because they do not wish to engage the PK playstyle, not because they dislike PvP or PvPers.

7. E n v y

E n v y Avatar

Permadeath.......that thing where it would only ever work if it applied to every player in the game (regardless of PvM/PvP etc). That thing where the entire economy would have to be restructured, that thing where levelling mechanisms would have to be eased..........or no one would play, many probably wouldn't anyway because it has such limited appeal.

Or just make it voluntary so everyone can choose not you have it....... Given the option why would anyone choose to have it.

MalakBrightpalm and Tahru like this.
  8. Isaiah

Isaiah Avatar

I have an idea why not look at it from the Shroud of the Avatar perspective. You have to willingly opt into PvP. So why is any of this relevant?

9. Tahru

Tahru Avatar

If possible, I would like to double down on this.

10. rune_74

rune_74 Avatar

The op was already doomed.

11. Themo Lock

Themo Lock Avatar

People are never going to like something that they feel they have 0 chance of winning, no matter how it is packaged. Simple and sad fact is that this is the internet... a place of anonymity where people do not feel accountable for their actions and therefore will do their very worst. PvP is a litmus test for real life virtues.

12. MalakBrightpalm

MalakBrightpalm Avatar

Troll (Internet)

From Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia
    For a Wikipedia essay on the topic, see meta:What is a troll?
    "Trolling" redirects here. For other uses, see Troll (disambiguation).
    In Internet slang, a troll (/ˈtrl/, /ˈtrɒl/) is a person who sows discord on the Internet by starting arguments or upsetting people,[1] by posting inflammatory,[2] extraneous, or off-topic messages in an online community (such as a newsgroup, forum, chat room, or blog) with the deliberate intent of provoking readers into an emotional response[3] or of otherwise disrupting normal on-topic discussion.[4]

13. Isaiah

Isaiah Avatar

Maybe it is not a troll issue but a medication change issue, or a psychotic episode. Unless somebody else took over the account in question, they have changed from a person who has been apart of the community for quite a while, to a person who is trying to wreck the Story of Britannia in three words thread and creating troll threads.

Honestly I don't know but I'm trying to come up with options.

EDIT: I'm just trying to make light of the issue. I don't know nor do I care if it is inflammatory.

14. Themo Lock

Themo Lock Avatar

Mikeaw has always had sporadic outbursts of randomness and trolling heh

15. TimeLord Smith

TimeLord Smith Avatar

No. No, that's exactly what they would be expecting us to say. There is no problem here.

It is a simple case of single account syndrom. This is quite common among humans. Especially humans who visit websites that have forums. Single account syndrom manifests when people who are effected by the disease write posts from one perspective, and then they write crazy posts that should be done from an alt account so others are not shocked in the Dr. Jekyll and Mr. Hyde type behavior.

Single account syndrom is simply resolved by creating an alt account by which you post your crazy side. That way if you know you are going to go crazy, missed a pill, or smoke something crazy you should log on with your Hyde account. If you know you took all your meds and aren't smoking something crazy you can log on your Jekyll account.
    That's how to resolve single account syndrom. HAHAHAHAhahahahaha

Future DUKE mikeaw1101 and Tahru like this.
  16. Arkah EMPstrike

Arkah EMPstrike Avatar

Thats due to the only PvP zoen having a moongate at the moment holding host to a nightly event where 5 PvPers gather to massacre each other and get ganekd by 50 brittanian mining company guys

Tahru likes this.
  17. Themo Lock

Themo Lock Avatar

hey i killed my share of BMC ... SPAAAAAARTAAAAA!

Tahru likes this.
  18. mikeaw1101

mikeaw1101 Avatar

It's not a game mechanic, I've played games with "permadeath" guilds where players agreed, voluntarily, to delete their characters if they die. Don't ask me, I don't know why anyone would choose to do that either, but it happens and I was just questioning if that was a reason for all the anti-PvP sentiment on these forums, with the role-playing aspect and all.

Tahru likes this.
  19. mikeaw1101

mikeaw1101 Avatar

Wow guys, I re-read this thread now and I'm flattered by all the great responses... especially the incredibly insightful psychoanalysis and medication speculations :D

Honestly, I'm not trying to troll anyone, that was serious question since I have actually seen these "permadeath" guilds recruiting before (DDO); it really is "a thing". OK well maybe semi-serious.

"Single account syndrome", hehe that one really made me grin lots. :D

Maybe I should create an alternate account in future, but that could be considered 'cheating'.

Of course, there is always the chance that I am just off my medication.

Either way,
    Cheers!

Tahru and Themo Lock like this.
  20. MalakBrightpalm

MalakBrightpalm Avatar

No, mike, that has NOTHING to do with the so called anti-PvP sentiment.
    The anti-PvP sentiment comes from people who do not want to be forced to PvP, and jerks who want so badly to force non-PvPers to be targets that they are willing to burn SotA to the ground to get it.

These two groups have been voicing their opinions loudly, and that's the ENTIRE debate in PvP right now, and for the last year. I go into that thread regularly looking for interesting threads, and the top five are ALWAYS bad clones of the neverending and oft dev-locked "Everyone should have to PvP!" "Full Loot Open World PvP or this game SUCKS" "Nuh uh, I'll quit!" "You cannot make me, I don't wanna!" thread.

The vast majority of players have NO problem with PvP, as long as neither of those two groups gets to design it.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.