Petition for Open PVP Slider Mode

Discussion in 'PvP Gameplay' started by Duke Crachazz, Apr 17, 2013.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Duke Crachazz

Duke Crachazz Avatar

Please give us a game mode that allows us to play a bit like we did play UO!

Honestly, I decided to pledge after Richard said in his interview that they want to please everybody INCLUDING the open pvp crowd. And I was happy with that, I am not looking to grieve or kill thousands of newbs.

All I want is to play TOGETHER with like minded people, who happen to want to live in an open pvp world... Like we did in UO (back in it's glory days).

I do not understand all this talk that is about how you could implement game mechanics to make everybody happy, like "meaningful pvp through quests" and all that, just give us what we want too.

I really don't care about the storyline or whoever writes it and so on. I want to play in an open world, with open pvp. Make it a new slider setting, and we all can be happy.

Thanks!

dsmwookie likes this.
  2. Lord_Darkmoon

Lord_Darkmoon Avatar

I fear that it won't be this easy.
    They could include an Open-PvP-Slider if this PvP-mode would not affect the game world. For example just doing battles with other players, be it duels or larger battles between groups of players would be possible, imho. But if this goes into changing the world like controlling territories and certain areas of the world it would not work as this would affect PvE-players as well.

I think a PvP-flag would be the best solution. You flag yourself for PvP and then you see other PvP-players and can engage in a fight with them. Players who are not flagged for PvP would not see PvP-players and the other way around.

3. Duke Crachazz

Duke Crachazz Avatar

And how does that work then with your example of controlling territories? What's the difference? UO also had factions who were "controlling" territories, without any effect on players outside of factions.

I think in the end it does not matter if it's now a flag or a slider option, but what I mean and want to see is that the players who chose to, can play in an open pvp world.

4. Lord_Darkmoon

Lord_Darkmoon Avatar

It all comes down to the fact that PvP should not have an impact on non-PvP-players. If there are areas on the map I cannot enter due to open-PvP and maybe I even cannot finish a quest in this area there is a huge impact on those players.
    So PvP-players should be in a mode where they only see other PvP-players. And non-PvP-players should only see non-PvP-players. And all that PvP-players do in the game should not affect the world in such a way that non-PvP-players would have a disadvantage from it.

5. Duke Crachazz

Duke Crachazz Avatar

You just repeated my original post basically :)

6. Ultima Aficionado

Ultima Aficionado Avatar

@Crachazz:

It has been stated several times in live dev chat that there will be PvP in certain areas within the game. The devs have also said that there will not be flags within those areas. Players should be aware before they enter them that they are indeed PvP. That aside, there should be an option for open PvP with real consequences (full loot). If not, the players can simply turn their slider down and avoid areas that are explicitly stated as PvP.

7. Duke Crachazz

Duke Crachazz Avatar

That is exactly what I mean... I know many people who want full-loot and open PVP, I am one of them. Give us a new slider setting for full loot and open pvp!

I don't care for zoned PVP. I want the real deal.

8. Ultima Aficionado

Ultima Aficionado Avatar

@Duke Crachazz:

Yeah, I think zoned PvP is pretty lame. But, then you'll have people on here to absolutely refuse to play the game. The PvPers seem to act more like adults than that IMHO. So, there's a dilemma between giving the "carebears" what they want and the PvP players what they want. In a sandbox game I think the game should be slated towards the PvPers, while creating PvE fun. The devs seem to be approaching it from the opposite direction.

The "zones" if that's the case have even been argued against (although not reasonably) by the ******** community here. They feel they should have complete control of the world and there should be no zones to which they should have to PvP. Again, I think this is unreasonable. Now, they are attempting to argue for features which are part of the PvP portion of the game and beginning to create bogus arguments why there should be NO PvP whatsoever, EVEN with a slider.

I, for one, will not play this game OPO if it does not feature OPEN, FULL LOOT PVP with the slider option.

dsmwookie likes this.
  9. Duke Crachazz

Duke Crachazz Avatar

You speak wonderful words Ultima Aficionado :D I like the sound of that.

Alls I want is that Portalarium gives us our own slider option, give us what we crave for. Let the "carebears" have their world where everything is like they want it to be, and give us our world (This dark place where everything is open, and if you get killed you lose everything in your little bagpack!)

10. Ultima Aficionado

Ultima Aficionado Avatar

@Crachazz:

I couldn't agree more man, I hope this is the case. I'm just curious as to why no other games have done it?

I'm going to reference WoW again (as much as I hate that game). There are servers that clearly distinguish between PVE and PVP. Why on the PVP servers is not an open, full loot PVP world and a watered-down version of PVP?

I'm sure a server like that would have been very successful as clearly demonstrated by the large PvP niche community

11. Duke Crachazz

Duke Crachazz Avatar

It's probably simply a question of making the game appealing to the broad masses to make the biggest possible profit, and not the best possible game. :D

12. Lord_Darkmoon

Lord_Darkmoon Avatar

So good=PvP, bad=non-PvP?

13. Caledor

Caledor Avatar

I think they are truly trying to make this game work for all play styles. There are going to have to be some compromises on both sides for this. If that means zones that are PvP only and other zones that are PvE only, we might have to accept it.

14. Duke Crachazz

Duke Crachazz Avatar

I am more than willing to make compromises, as long as that means that there will be full-loot as well as open pvp for those who want that. If it's zones or whatever... (I would prefer the slider setting tho, so that we have the whole world where we can pvp and the non-pvp folk too without having us on their backs)

@Lord_Darkmoon, yes... you do realize this is the PVP forum right ;o)

15. Ultima Aficionado

Ultima Aficionado Avatar

@Crachazz:

Yeah, if they are going to create completely consensual PVP then there's open PVP with the slider. I am willing to make that compromise, as much as I would love to see a world like Ultima Online circa T2A. There are several reasons why a game like that, if done well, will thrive. That aside, for players who are interested in PVP then we have access to the whole world as PVP with the slider option. That is more than a fair compromise.

**I'd still like to see "consequences" for the reds. I think a red player should be branded as an outcast an unable to enter town, this fits in well with the virtue system. There should be safe zones for PK's and towns (Buccaneer's Den) which provide them access to a bank. I can see some potential problems if there is rampant PKing in every town on the map.

16. LordSlack

LordSlack Avatar

+1 for the maximum PvP slider.

What affect would this have on the game's economy though? Sure, we could have sliders to only show other players who are on the same setting, but won't the economy be universal for all sliders? Will PvP slider folks be able to shop at PvE player vendors whom they cannot see? PvE crafters will freely mine resources and sell their craft to the always broke PvP community in another dimension. Why would you enable the PvP slider and go mine resources? Will the PvP slider mode offer better resources? Seems like it could get out of wack.

17. Ultima Aficionado

Ultima Aficionado Avatar

@LordSlack:

I agree with the PVP slider getting out of whack. I think the PVE players will eventually get bored of playing against only AI opponents. I know that I sure would, but I cannot speak for all of them. I do think there should be some sort of incentive for PVP. I am glad you brought out some of the possible flaws because I've been thinking on it as well, any suggestions as to how the problem could in some way be alleviated?

18. Phredicon

Phredicon Avatar

The problem with an "open PvP world" is that non-PvPer's have to live there too. It's going to be only <i>ONE</i> world.

I think the devs have the right idea in trying to give everyone the experience they want, if not the world they want - for example if someone wants to have full loot open PvP then I assume that all they will see are other people who they can kill and be killed by, and receive the rewards that everyone expects from it. If someone never wants to be killed by another player, then that will be their experience.

As for LordSlack's concerns about the economy, there will be only one economy as well, but I dont see it as a boon for the PvE types - according to many people posting there are crafters that want PvP also to add the excitement. Not all PvPers are anti-crafting, I assume. Likewise, since everyone will see ALL the vendors, those of PvPers and PvErs, there will be trade between them regardless and both groups should benefit.

19. LordSlack

LordSlack Avatar

I am wondering if there will be no slider at all for PvP and the starting areas and initial zones will be safe, like WoW does it. Then once you get further out everything is open PvP depending on a pivotal choice you have to make.

You might have to make a choice in the main story if you are going to open yourself up to the risk of PvP. It could be part of a quest where you can either PvP to protect the caravan, or take the PvE safe route through a secret cave or something.

I hope you have to make a firm choice on whether you are into PvP or not at a certain stage, but be able to do a decently lengthy quest to "toggle" your world back and forth to PvE, sortof like changing sides in EQ2. It should not be too easy to flip the switch back and forth, but it should still be possible.

20. Lord_Darkmoon

Lord_Darkmoon Avatar

In the latest dev hangout it has now been confirmed that there will not be Open-PvP in OPO but that you can adjust to see only PvP-players if you want, so that you know who is willing to fight you.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.