Petition for Open PVP Slider Mode

Discussion in 'PvP Gameplay' started by Duke Crachazz, Apr 17, 2013.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. AndiZ275

AndiZ275 Avatar

@Ara: this incentives in better rewards is one of the reason, WoW is how it is; raid content was always the preferred playstyle there and was rewarded with the best gear => even PvP players were forced to do raid content, when they wanted to compete with the others. Don't think this should be the way they are heading (and I don't think, that is what you meant ;-) ). I'm all for a balanced gaming experience

2. jondavis

jondavis Avatar

*signs the petition*
    I think we need to discuss the modes we want on this slider.
    But yea I'm for a Felucca UO style or an open pvp, open looting, with a criminal system mode.
    Other modes are welcomed.

3. InsaneMembrane

InsaneMembrane Avatar

I thought that the magicpvpsliderbarthingy(TM) was already a given. PvP on / PvP off, everybody is happy...

DavenRock likes this.
  4. Owain

Owain Avatar

I don't think an exact mechanism has been discussed. A range of PvP activity has been mentioned, but how you select you position on that PvP continuum is unknown. It might be a slider, it might be a series of check boxes (my preference, since it's unlikely I'll be taking part in duels or arena fights, but I will certainly take part in guild wars and open PvP if available, so a check box would be nice so I don't get spammed for duels), or it might me something else altogether.

5. Silent Strider

Silent Strider Avatar

I think it will be the "something else altogether". RG apparently doesn't want immersion-breaking UI toggles, and from the descriptions I believe there will be multiple immersive ways to become "flagged" for PvP, including accepting PvP-enabled missions and taking part in PvP-enabled events.

Also, for players that want to be always "flagged" for PvP, one way is more or less already disclosed; guilds will be able, through some yet unknown mechanism, to declare themselves as full time PvP.

6. jondavis

jondavis Avatar

Yea that is what I'm getting at, it seems there are many different ways people want to PVP.
    Either a slider or check box or something would be nice.
    Having to do a quest all the time would make it hard to stay in the mode you want.
    And I've never been big on doing quests to start with.

7. Guerrilla

Guerrilla Avatar

You've got my signature,

8. Silent Strider

Silent Strider Avatar

What I meant is that, for those that want to stay in PvP mode all the time, there will likely be some fire-and-forget way to achieve that. Not necessarily an UI toggle, but something you do only once and will keep you in PvP mode until you intentionally reverse it. Being part of a PvP guild is an already disclosed way to do that, but I don't think it will be the only one.

The PvP quests, and other temporary ways to become PvP flagged, are likely meant more as a stepping stone to get players uncomfortable with the whole PvP concept to try it.

9. Hard Koar

Hard Koar Avatar

Felucca.

10. DavenRock

DavenRock Avatar

The topic of pvp, although flared at times, is a necessary one. In fact, much of a game's pvp concepts could make or break a game depending on how the player "feels" at time of being flagged. I'll use an example: I was playing Star Wars the old republic, and upon entering the enemy territory, I had 10 seconds to exit the region or be flagged for pvp, of which is quite scary at low levels. In the same respect, I was in a quest inside some undergound dungeon type place, and an imperial who was flagged for pvp entered the place, and proceeded to stick to my side until i cast an area of effect spell, which the game considers an attack on the pvp flagged person, and consequentially flagged me for pvp and i was then graciously pk'd. I am thankful that that type of pvp does not allow full looting as that would have been quite the setback. Especially since there is no other way to gain money other than questing and modding your gear. No gear, no quests, no money, no gaming = no playing at all because of the concept.

The pvp slider mode should only be accessible through the slider, and not encounters or accidental AoE damage done to passers-by. imo

dsmwookie and Gunga Din [Pax] like this.
  11. Umbrae

Umbrae Avatar

DavenRock likes this.
  12. Silver Sterling

Silver Sterling Avatar

There won't be open PvP, simply because of this:

So we can avoid already PvP by selecting friends and single player online. I am good with this, was aswell one of the reason i got here, because i am not the player who like PvP very much. For the PvP trigger. We already have the ability to trigger only friends. Giving the option to seperate PvP and PvE in 2 groups who see only each others would be a good way how i think. Otherwise many PvE player would often switch to Friends Play Online and are aswell gone. So they can play in a large friends group and interact and don't need to PvP if they don't want.

Umbrae likes this.
  13. Owain

Owain Avatar

I don't agree that there will be no open pvp. In OPO, it can still be possible to flag yourself for open pvp, which may be done by joining a guild that specifies that all members are open PvP, or declare war against another guild, or there may be an individual flag for Open PvP. In that case, the server will match you up with people who are similarly flagged. If I am so flagged, I will only see other players who are also flagged, which violates none of the announced modes of play, including OPO.

14. Silver Sterling

Silver Sterling Avatar

Well, actually something like this could be possible. But this should be your decision, if you join such a guild and you should be warned before you do so. Then its your fault, if you join in a PvP guild and become a war target.

15. Owain

Owain Avatar

Absolutely. If you join such a guild with one or more PvP flags set, the system should be warn you of that. If the guild changes a flag setting after you've joined, you should also be warned so that you can have informed consent to participate, or drop guild membership if you don't want to participate.

16. Silver Sterling

Silver Sterling Avatar

Yea, nobody should be upset, if he don't read it or do it regardless.

17. Archaaz

Archaaz Avatar

Born and raised in Texas. Currently in India.
    I am not much of a PvPer, but I did like the thrill of having PKs and full loot in the world. I think an option at character creation for PvP/Full Loot would be a nice inclusion, or perhaps even better an option to select PvP/Full Loot at a later time. This would work just like the other filters, but one that could not be changed (as I think that going back and forth between PvP and PvE would be a bit unbalanced). The character would then remain permanently PvP/Open Loot flagged unless deleted. If the player wished to try a new play style she would merely delete the PvP character and create a new character.

18. Seneth

Seneth Avatar

I don't think there's any way to prevent people from switching between PvE and PvP by the way Garriott has described the game he wants to make. For one thing, he's said from the beginning that he wants people to be able to play offline using their online characters. He also wants people to be able to always be able to play with their friends, which means PvPers would have to be able to switch off if they had non-PvP friends. You'll almost certainly have to be in a safe zone like a city to make the switch so you couldn't just turn your flag off when you saw trouble coming, but being permanently and irrevocably set in one mode isn't in the cards.

19. jondavis

jondavis Avatar

If we start off with no friends and only make friends in the open pvp open loot mode then we should have no problem with that setting. Yea we still want guard protection in some cities.
    But your right if we are able to switch back and forth and friends come first then having non pvp friends will prevent us from ever going pvp.
    I guess I better choose friends who like to play like I do.

20. Sinclair

Sinclair Avatar

How do you know that the consequences are full loot? I haven't read this yet from official side. But anyway, i like the option to decide by yourself via a slider/switch joining the PvP mode or not

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.