PETITION/POLL: Please Portalarium put a hard cap on sales of Player Owned Towns

Discussion in 'Player Owned Towns' started by Spoon, Jul 15, 2015.

?

What do you think?

1. Yes put in a hard cap @250

88 vote(s)
    65.2%
  2. Yes put in a hard cap @275

2 vote(s)
    1.5%
  3. Yes put in a hard cap @300

3 vote(s)
    2.2%
  4. No cap is necessary, the more the merrier.

26 vote(s)
    19.3%
  5. Who cares?

16 vote(s)
    11.9%
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Satan Himself

Satan Himself Avatar

Just relieved to know that zero out of 112 people so far think the hard cap should be at 275 POTs. I mean, that would have been a disaster. 230 or 300 might be OK though. But 275 ....... madness. :eek:

Caliya, Ice Queen, Arianna and 5 others like this.
  2. rune_74

rune_74 Avatar

So strange...I was wprried about this problem way back when they announced these towns....now look:)

Ravicus Domdred likes this.
  3. Bubonic

Bubonic Avatar

I have a feeling a lot of people would have voted for the "um, no, please return and refund the last 150 POTs sold"

;)

Vyrin, Duchess Wyldemane and Budner like this.
  4. Curt

Curt Avatar

To bad this problem was not noted when we initial discusssed player owned towns, hard to do much now.
    Could we have some PoT's connected so if you come from north (on the overworld map) you got into town 1 east town 2 south town 3 and west town 4?

5. rune_74

rune_74 Avatar

It was noted and brought up many times.....ignored.

Caliya and sn0tub like this.
  6. Bubonic

Bubonic Avatar

They hired a new artist and coder just to work on POTs?

Vyrin likes this.
  7. Bubonic

Bubonic Avatar

Myrcello, thank you for that very long and detailed post.

I agree with pretty much every single thing you said.

(but it's Spock, not Spoke. Just sayin'.)

Vyrin, Miracle Dragon and Myrcello like this.
  8. mdsota152

mdsota152 Avatar

Neither one of us knows who was hired to do what... but at least when I actually take the time to check the Standup Corner I don't see those massive amounts of time being wasted on POT's that everyone is clamoring about.

9. Bubonic

Bubonic Avatar

That editor must be programming itself then ;)

Caliya and Vyrin like this.
  10. mdsota152

mdsota152 Avatar

Probably is, it's the new AI they hired ... but then nobody's been working on POT's since Tues according to the stand up corner... slackers... :p

Duchess Wyldemane likes this.
  11. rune_74

rune_74 Avatar

I disagree with this theory. If you agree with the moves they have made then I can see why you would be ok with moving away from what they promised in the kickstarter. But what if you liked what they were selling you at the start, the game they originally envisioned? What if you didn't want this new MMO they have made now? Should we just sit back and say, "Hey, that's great, you guys know what I want..."

I think it is very important to use the original kickstarter as what was supposed to be instead of letting this morph into what ever the crowd mind would like.

Caliya, Ice Queen and Miracle Dragon like this.
  12. Fionwyn Wyldemane

Fionwyn Wyldemane Avatar

Anyone who has access to the *Founders Developer Blog* and the *Standup Corner* thread can see exactly who is working on what at any given time. This has been true since Friday June 14, 2013.

I can't say much else other than to comment that concerns about people being pulled away from other things (or money being spent to hire even more people to to work on PoTs to satisfy a minority of players at the expense of the majority) is greatly exaggerated.

Let's not forget that we have seen an increasing amount of creatures being added, Zombies and Trolls for example, new architecture such as the Obsidian, ongoing combat loving, the re-texturing of armor, dyes, tweaking of skills, on and on and on. I know it's hard to believe, but from what is reported in the Standup Corner, there is just no way that the game is being delayed to any significant extent because of work on PoT's.

The issue of having too many PoTs, which the poll is trying to address, is really a different matter altogether.

***Edited for clarity

Last edited: Jul 24, 2015
  13. Sold and gone

Sold and gone Avatar

Somewhere underground waiting to get you!
    I know they were looking for world builders to speed up that process. Maybe they found one to hire. :)

cartodude and Duchess Wyldemane like this.
  14. Fionwyn Wyldemane

Fionwyn Wyldemane Avatar

What you and others see as *moving away from Kickstarter* I see as *expanding upon Kickstarter*. I am not alone in that perspective. Doesn't mean my perspective is right. It just means that I don't view building a crowd funded game as rigid matter of moving from point A to point B with no deviations. I've looked at the Kickstarter page and I can't really find much that was promised there that isn't already in the game. As for what they envisioned, visions get expanded on all the time. If they didn't, we'd all still be 28K dial up, we'd still be playing games that look like Ultima 1 and we'd still have rotary dial phones instead of cell phones. I think when visions get expanded on that's called *progress*. :p

Whatever delays there have been in getting the game completed, I'm fairly sure has little to do with PoTs being added *after* Kickstarter. I know this isn't going to convince you of anything and that's fine, but I really believe that putting such an onus on one aspect of what the devs are implementing prior to launch is placing blame where it should not be.

15. rune_74

rune_74 Avatar

I don't think POTs is the one reason we are delayed...I think it is the move to full MMO that caused it....the game changed since it was announced to a closer version of UO2, even if that's not what it was announced as. I don't think they have implemented everything they had mentioned in the kickstarter yet, unless you count rudimentary coverage of certain areas as meeting the goal. I am willing to wait until release to see how the story aspects line up for that game, but I remain skeptical that they will meet the goal of having a good story based game.

What my post was about was ignoring the kickstarter and looking at the future and the pitfalls with going that route.

Ice Queen and Duchess Wyldemane like this.
  16. Bubonic

Bubonic Avatar

Except for...

• Seasonal Weather
    • Interactive Music Instruments
    • New "Mysterious Island" content (unless, of course, that is now supposed to be the hidden vale area we have seen since day one, which would be quite disappointing)
    • Arctic Scenes
    • The Lost Vale (again, hidden vale? This is supposed to only be visible during special astronomical events)
    • "Massive, interconnected underworld with a story and ecology all its own"
    • Castle Siege mechanics
    Which, all told, is a pretty large percentage of the original stretch goals.

Vyrin and Miracle Dragon like this.
  17. Sold and gone

Sold and gone Avatar

RELEASE 21, August 27, 2015:
    • Weather: Weather will make a first appearance with rain and snow linked to seasonal changes.

RELEASE 22, September 25, 2015
      • Musical Instruments: Players can play music in the game with a variety of instruments.
      New "Mysterious Island" content (unless, of course, that is now supposed to be the hidden vale area we have seen since day one, which would be quite disappointing) - This probably is the Hidden Vale - It is one problem with being a alpha beta tester knowing some of the secrets. Most people however that join after launch will not know.

Arctic Scenes - are in game already, there probably will be more.
      Vertas Pass

[​IMG]

Vertas Pass is a snowy mountain pass under the control of elves.

Players can take control of the pass by defeating the elves and standing near the control point banner. This will cause waves of elves to attempt to defeat them and regain control of their valley.

"Massive, interconnected underworld with a story and ecology all its own" - Not sure but I remember that it has been mentioned, I cannot remember where at this point but it was recently.

Castle Siege mechanics - I have been waiting for this too! :D

18. Bubonic

Bubonic Avatar

I take it back, you are right, there is one Arctic scene.

Unfortunately, you can't count something that is on the schedule for the future. After all, those things are not in the game at this point, and every single release sees items removed from the list before the release launch.

19. Sold and gone

Sold and gone Avatar

I would complain if the game was done. Its not done though.

20. Bubonic

Bubonic Avatar

I think that was kind of the point ;)

Ice Queen and Vyrin like this.
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.