Plate and chain armor resistances

Discussion in 'Skills and Combat' started by DAKelam1, May 16, 2018.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Cordelayne

Cordelayne Bug Hunter

Exactly right, it makes you wonder, "What is the point?"

discipleofweb and Almar like this.
  2. Halfwitte

Halfwitte Avatar

Hardly seems worth it? The .3 DR is almost nothing. What does 2% avoidance really equate to with the new math? Before with the old system 2% was a significant amount, but now I feel it's nothing to write home about and certainly not worth the added 15% in fizzle chance.

3. DAKelam1

DAKelam1 Avatar

So on to day 3 no response. As a small side note I do think if you look at rewards for previous postmortems/live streams, it is very telling that more or less every time if there was a plate armor reward it was always one of the highest money totals. Plate has also appeared quite a lot less than cloth or leather as a reward period. Which again, true or not, the optics present a case that the developers really could care less about any other armor type other than cloth/leather and occasionally chain.

Last edited: May 18, 2018
    Almar likes this.
  4. Nikko

Nikko Avatar

People will take your posts a lot more seriously if you try to use sentences and punctuation. I'm not trying to be an a-hole. It is just true. It is really hard to read this post. Please don't take this the wrong way.

Jaesun, Almar, Baratan and 1 other person like this.
  5. DAKelam1

DAKelam1 Avatar

Fixed its what happens when you post on a cell phone. So back to the task at hand is a developer or preferably Chris going to answer. I want to know the formula for avoidance. I want to know why you insist on hiding information from players. I want to know why you make changes and don't update your in game information. I want to know why you think outdated information is ok to spout as a reason for not fixing something. I want an answer even if its a big F*** YOU PLATE WEARERS.

Cordelayne and discipleofweb like this.
  6. Baratan

Baratan Avatar

Games can't really balance full plate armour against other armour types and also be realistic. That's like asking them to balance modern firearms to middle age weapons. There is no competition. I'd like realistic plate armour myself, as a plate user. But I don't think users of other types would appreciate that lol.

Also, you can't make a suit of plate armour with cast iron either and that's something else games never get right.

fragmeister13 likes this.
  7. Elrond

Elrond Avatar

Dont know if its worth it or not just keep in mind its only 1 piece...5 pieces means more avoid resist.

8. DAKelam1

DAKelam1 Avatar

I can give up realism for balance and to be clear I think the fizzle rates are good. To Elronds point even with 5 pieces it's not enough to make a difference. Especially factoring in that what you see on the character sheet and items is essentially an exaggeration of actual mechanics.

Baratan likes this.
  9. Floors

Floors Avatar

Hmmmm. This thread makes me sad.

10. Yipp

Yipp Avatar

@DAKelam1 @Elrond The problem is we are all expressing our opinions.

How does Damage Avoidance actually work?
    How is the Armor based DA skill calculated in the current formula?
    Is it give the same weight (or less/more) than a abilities damage avoidance?
    etc...

Unless we as a community decide to take the time to test all armor types in a controlled environment with players at ZERO Heavy/Light armor skills and with GM Heavy/Light armor skills against different types of attacks, we are only speculating.

I am willing to participate in testing if there are other like minded individuals who wish to figure this all out.

Bigg likes this.
  11. Floors

Floors Avatar

We can test it out in my PvP arena basement anytime. I'm in Brekken Bay, entrance 4, go to the basement hatch by Katrina's grave.

Jaesun and fragmeister13 like this.
  12. Yipp

Yipp Avatar

We need a set of every armor type without masterworks and enchants and players with ZERO and GM Heavy and Light Armor skills to test.

Nikko likes this.
  13. Diab Blackbow

Diab Blackbow Avatar

I posted this on another thread. 1 point in heavy armor. All armor is founder armor except my bone armor.

[​IMG]

Elnoth likes this.
  14. DAKelam1

DAKelam1 Avatar

@Yipp I agree that we don't have the proper information. That is one of my primary requests in this thread. The formulas were changed and never explained. The in game information presented to the player is confusing at best and totally false at worst.

The thought that we as players should spend untold hours of our time testing and prodding, to figure out something that should be clearly and concisely presented to us is ridiculous.

If @Chris wants to claim that the avoidance really makes a difference then prove it. How many times in the last 53 releases has he found "math errors". Look no further than rapid shot or hamstring.

The developers rely far to much on secrecy and confusion, and once something is tested through hundreds of hours by players they react very harshly. Players have been discouraged from intense testing because it always leads to massive nerfing not balancing.

I want clarity on this issue as the title suggests. I want a developer that responds to a question and concerns instead of hiding in the shadows. Hell with all the "broken math" I want programming with a math level of that above what appears to be a 6th grader.

We as a community should not be expected to test things because of poor communication. We are no longer in a "testing" phase of development we are "released". It's time for clarification and explanation instead of "oh plate is better cuz avoidance which you have no idea how it works lulz".

Innascual Inch and Cordelayne like this.
  15. Yipp

Yipp Avatar

@Diab Blackbow
    I saw your posting before. The information is fine for what it is, thank you. However without testing to see the practical effects in the game its does not really tell us much. For example what is the difference between a DR of 5 and a DR of 4. for all we know the difference between the two could be minimal or gigantic depending upon the scale used to measure the difference between 5 and 4

@DAKelam1
    I think the only way to get reliable information in most games is to take what developers tell you and then test it for yourself to generate facts. I am not opposed to testing, if you are that is your choice friend

fragmeister13 likes this.
  16. Barugon

Barugon Avatar

Open your character window, hover the mouse over Resist and read the tooltip.

17. Yipp

Yipp Avatar

Friend that is telling you only a piece of the puzzle and is incomplete at best.

18. DAKelam1

DAKelam1 Avatar

We know exactly the difference because we have been told. A DR of 5 reduces a hit by 5 damage unless 5 is greater than your maximum DR percentage. A DR of 4 reduces a hit by 4 damage unless 4 is greater than your maximum DR percentage. We know this because we have seen it in action, but more importantly the game and the developers have clearly laid it out.

Now as far as avoidance goes, which is a completely different statistic, it used to be clearer. Avoidance used to be if you had 50% avoidance, you received a glancing blow on 50% of hits. The problem with that was people were easily able to achieve 100% avoidance, and thusly receive a glancing blow 100% of the time.

@Chris a few release ago changed the combat math completely, specifically avoidance making it part of a formula. So now without massive testing of thousands of hours, there would be no way to determine just what an extra 10% of avoidance on a piece of armor actually means.

For @Chris to use this as his argument for why plate shouldn't be looked at is bullshit. Even before the change 10% would not have made a big enough difference. Now for all we know, and judging by Portalarium's history of "fixes", it makes even less of a difference, because it's most likely been nerfed into oblivion.

However without the numbers we don't know and honestly no amount of testing by us will magically reveal a complex math formula. A math formula that past experience probably resembles 2 + 2 = 1.32754

19. Yipp

Yipp Avatar

This is the problem right here. "We have been told by the developers, they have laid it out, so we know. No testing needed". The truth is not everything the developers have told us is accurate

However, friend I can see you are just very unhappy at circumstances with plate and I have no wish again engage in a further discussion of opinion unsupported by facts . If anyone is interesting in gathering facts please feel free to DM me via forums or in game

Diab Blackbow likes this.
  20. Diab Blackbow

Diab Blackbow Avatar

The last telethon the Chris said crit has always been Dex/400 yet the formulas he has given us in the past state it was dex/1000 or dex/2000. This is just an example of the Devs not being a good source of accurate information.

Yipp, Spinok and MrBlight like this.
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.