Plate and chain armor resistances

Discussion in 'Skills and Combat' started by DAKelam1, May 16, 2018.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. DAKelam1

DAKelam1 Avatar

I presented facts to you, you just refuse to see them as facts, you have this conspiracy theory that we should not believe numbers presented to us that we can clearly and easily see in action. You sir are not providing anything meaningful to the conversation other than telling us to "test" it. WE SHOULD NOT HAVE TO TEST A GODDAMN THING IN A RELEASED GAME. We need for the developers to get off their high horse stop making fluffy bull crap for the add on store and fix the game so we can play without confusion as to what plate armor actually provides us over chain.

2. DAKelam1

DAKelam1 Avatar

I agree their math is equivalent to that of a 6th grader. However some exposition is better than the none we are currently getting now.

3. Arkah EMPstrike

Arkah EMPstrike Avatar

When chris talked about the avoidance change, it was the same idea as all other defenses: that it should never reach true 100%.

You could just try both sets of armor and look at how often you get glancing blows. If you look too hard at the math you wont see what actually happens.

Theres a couple of stats most folks think do something that they dont do. because they heard math, they will swear undeniably its happening

4. Diab Blackbow

Diab Blackbow Avatar

Not if it is wrong.

Spinok likes this.
  5. DAKelam1

DAKelam1 Avatar

Btw day 4 with no response. Funny how @Chris can post about a relatively meaningless performance patch, but can't stop by here.

MrBlight likes this.
  6. MrBlight

MrBlight Avatar

Not touching rest of thread, but i used to run pure crit archer.
    When they changed crit math, it made pine and supple useless. And it was def /1000 and /2000.. with blades having extra base crit ..
    I remember it being 150? Ish dex u needed before supple armors crit chance MATCHED average dmg of just going maple and fortified lol.
    I tested hell outa that. .. and there was tons of confusion over tool tips saying %crit chance.. but some ( not all ) meaning that % of your base. So 30% could mean 1.5%.

7. Anvar

Anvar Avatar

Well I hope he doesnt respond to you now.
    a) its the weekend now give the guy a break
    b) if u think everyone crashing at 98% wasnt worth fixing I think ull find alot of ppl in disagreement with you

other than that Im mostly in agreement with your original statement, plate indeed needs some love, but not reduced fizzle chance.

8. DAKelam1

DAKelam1 Avatar

This has nothing to do with the 98% crashing issue.

9. Anvar

Anvar Avatar

But it was, the performance increase was part of the 98% crashing issue fix and the patch was only released due to the 98% bug.

Sara Dreygon and Oyjord Hansen like this.
  10. Rada Torment

Rada Torment Community Ambassador (ES)

Try to respond 100 quotes every day = game over your efficiency at work :D

Jaesun and FrostII like this.
  11. Barugon

Barugon Avatar

What would you like? A signed certificate of accuracy? Perhaps they could do like other games and not give you any information at all.

Nikko and Sara Dreygon like this.
  12. Yipp

Yipp Avatar

No would not trust anything not tested by players in game for themselves. I have played enough games where information provided is not what ends up in live. The fact so many players instead of being curious as to finding out how things actually work in game, instead attack community members willing to actually take the time to test things, is pretty hilarious.

We have several tests going at the moment which are providing findings that are different than the in game tool tips. We will post them when we have gone through our list of comparisons.

13. DAKelam1

DAKelam1 Avatar

So......day 5............sigh

14. Baratan

Baratan Avatar

and how is your testing coming along?

Sara Dreygon likes this.
  15. Sara Dreygon

Sara Dreygon Avatar

I wear plate and it suits me perfectly. I usually run berserker stance and don't cast anything and I want the most damage possible so plate is definitely perfect for me.

Maybe a plate wearer who doesn't cast anything is too much an edge case but if I wanted to cast anything and the fizzle was too high with plate I'd move to chain or a mix of both. If the fizzle was still too high based on the magic I choose to cast in that I'd move to a mix of chain and leather and so on down the line. I believe this is in line with Chris' planned approach.

Boris Mondragon, Tsumo2 and Lazlo like this.
  16. Lazlo

Lazlo Avatar

I actually don't think it's even that much of an edge case. I mean, not too many people use no magic at all, but I'm sure there's a lot of people that don't use much magic other than heals and earth buffs. There are also a lot of group scenarios where it makes sense for someone to be as tanky as possible and leave the magic to other people.

I don't think all armor types are balanced in all slots, but I also don't think plate is useless. I still use full plate a large portion of the time, because I can still cast everything that I want to anyway, so there isn't much reason not to.

17. Talimar

Talimar Avatar

The key differences in stats between chain and plate in regards to bonuses outside of avoidance and fizzle is the materials for quantity.

Essentially Augmented plate vs. augmented chainmail is:

Chestpiece:

strap: +2 for plate
    Sheet/coil: -1 for plate
    binding: -2 for plate.

Gauntlets:
    Sheet/coil: null
    strap: null

Boots:
    sheet/coil: null
    strap: null

Helm:
    strap: +1 for plate
    binding: -1 for plate

Leggings:
    strap: +1 for plate
    binding: -2 for plate

The tldr is that for a min/max build of the materials used for plate, you can get better material stats from chainmail.

Basically for a full set, you get to loose 2 material bonus points if you make plate, but you get more fizzle and higher base avoidance. This essentially means that plate wearers will have a lower max offensive output. (barely.)

Relative cost of making them however is 33% more ores for plate armor.

As a choice for leveling plate masterwork, I make bucket helms for a reason.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.