Player Basics - Not all Maps work for every scene in the game currently

Discussion in 'Player Created Resources' started by Anpu, Sep 10, 2020.

1. Anpu

Anpu Bug Hunter

Many areas do not have maps and many do. Currently only a few areas you enter in will have a map, when you press the (default) map key m (if it is not already on).

We currently do not have a fully functioning map system for all areas in the game. There is no known ETA when or if this will be added.

Almost every new player or returning player will always ask this question or notice this, and many players just wonder if they are doing something wrong, and you are not doing anything wrong or do not have some option set. Simply put, for now, some scenes have maps, and some do not. There is nothing at all you can do.

I will however go over the information about this as best as I can, based on the information we do know currently.

Previously, we did have a working map system for most all scenes, but this required the loading of an external (Non Unity) .DLL file to make that system work. When Chris would report various issues and crashing to the Unity Developers, the Unity Developers would report back and tell Chris the cause of these issues (or crashes) is because of loading an external (non unity) .dll file.*

Because of this, Chris had no other option and had to completely remove the old map system and the loading of this external .DLL file completely from the game. And this is now where we currently are at.

A new map system may or may not be added to the game in the future. There is currently no known ETA when or if this will ever be added.

I am providing this information to the community as this is one of the most commonly asked question by almost all new and returning players.

SUGGESTION: A mention that some scenes do or do not have maps could possibly be added to the Known Issues.

----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
    *This information comes from a stream several years ago when Chris discussed why he had to remove the old map system. I do not have a link to this stream, however, you can at any time, ask Chris about this in any of the livestreams. The Catnip Developers are always open to discussing many various topics in the weekly streams.

2. Browncoat Jayson

Browncoat Jayson Legend of the Hearth

I think we need more than this. We need a list of scenes where maps are not currently available, which we can see visibly diminish as they are added.

"Some scenes" does not tell the player experiencing the issue enough; are they in one of those scenes, and if so, why doesnt the map work when they move over one scene (which also doesn't have one).

FrostII and Anpu like this.
  3. FrostII

FrostII Bug Hunter

Does anyone know what, exactly, is involved in making a working map of any scene ?

Alleine Dragonfyre likes this.
  4. Alleine Dragonfyre

Alleine Dragonfyre Avatar

Let us all share a moment of silence for the map system so that we may gather all the good vibes towards getting a new one!

Anpu likes this.