Player Created Content - Some humble requests

Discussion in 'Player Created Resources' started by Parson Barr, Apr 5, 2020.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Parson Barr

Parson Barr Avatar

Hello All,

Back with some suggestions for the player created content. I'm currently designing my first big adventure and I've come to the conclusion we need a couple of features. I hope these are not too difficult to develop. Without them I fear player created content will be unsatisfying. Most of these are Inky related.

Critical

Write to quest journal: requires the ability to start a quest, add updates via Inky, and specify closure. QOL feature.

Ability to give/receive something to/from NPC (repeatable daily or one-time): Charge COTOS for this as a gold sink. An NPC needs to be able to give items/gold/XP to incentivize players or move the story along. It must be conditional, of course. If you have talked to X then give player OBJECT.

NPC must be able to see if you have the required object to continue dialog.

Keys to Chest: Single use keys to a chest. Not much to say about this.

Important

Triggers: Objects or NPCs should be able to trigger an object or other NPC (open door when book is opened, NPC disappears after certain dialog). Nothing too fancy is needed. But for starters you should be able to open doors/chests and move objects to reveal hidden items.

Totems in non-dungeon areas: Use the same tech for roaming goats and cats. I'd like to use mobs to protect a chest in a house.

Specify drops from totems. They can have a percentage chance of dropping. Charge a COTO fee to mass produce the item. Used to provide a key or something needed for a quest.

Nice to have

Change appearance of NPC like via New You. Variety is the spice of life.

Mob Dialogue: Allow around 1k words per mob for custom phrases. It'd be fun to have a Thug mob spew something specific to your quest as you fight him.

2. Vladamir Begemot

Vladamir Begemot Avatar

I hope more work goes into these. And if it got dropped due to low sales, they should consider the quality/quantity of NPCs they provided as perhaps the cause.

3. majoria70

majoria70 Avatar

I love your ideas. In my opinion one thing that keeps some players from player quests and activities is social anxieties. If we can take a lot of that out of the equation then player quests become game quests and less fearful. One thing this game is sadly missing is a variety of things to do that are task related, solo achievable, and goal oriented. Forced grouping is not for everyone. Still a timed, quested Battlegroud situation is safer imo that queues up and can be entered and completed with less fuss and social. Even though you're with a group of players you don't have to know them all that much and can return to solo life after the event.

Also we should have A knowledge journal and it should list with tabs all events and quests plus things to do in the game such as control points, music and syncing music, housing, crafting, owning and using a vendor, taming, etc. Players should not have to hunt for information of things to do and these should be way more plentiful than they currently are.

We need to get a grip. If players can provide this in a system that mimics game quests then I'm all for it. Take away that safeguard and the player quests will be way less of a viable alternative and many just won't participate.

Last edited: Apr 9, 2020
  4. Belladonna Rose

Belladonna Rose Bug Hunter

One would think that the information stuff like guides and such could be posted on bulletin boards in NPC towns. That way new players can click on the boards that can refer them to here on the forums or if the info is on a website like some folks have they can link to it and read all about it. Those pesky kids in Aerie that hawk the news could even be placed in all NPC towns. But i agree more needs to be done to help the players make player created content. Too many new players dont /wont use discord and many dont think to navigate around the Sota website enough to find the forums so they miss out on alot in important info.

5. majoria70

majoria70 Avatar

Yes NPC town bulletin boards exist in some towns like Aerie but the ball was definitely dropped on providing functionality that made a difference. I always wanted them to be task boards and as boards so players could gather maybe pick up a quest/task or two, see who was selling what and where, perhaps list there event there too. Players would have needed to know to look at these boards since many do not even point at signs to read them. Many also walk right by bulletin boards in any town. I have posted 'how to' information on the board in Wizards Rest. Hopefully some will check and it will help them.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.