please go multi-guild

Discussion in 'Archived Topics' started by ThurisazSheol, Jan 26, 2015.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Reviled

Reviled Avatar

There's a danger in having too accessible a system for multiple guilds. Guild Wars 2 freely allowed you to join many guilds and represent one at a time to earn guild levels/perks. Ultimately what ended up happening was that any serious guild would demand that you represent only them, 100% of the time, permanently- it would be a condition for membership when recruiting. In turn, that would lock out new guilds from having a shot at leveling themselves, becoming better recognized and posing a challenge to the others- since the older guilds that survived would demand full rep, the newer guilds, who'd depend on members with multiple memberships, would never actively be repped by many of the players who joined them early on. It was an unintentional mess.

Guild Wars: Factions on the other hand introduced Alliances to great success. An alliance didn't give a player full free choice, but instead required that the players of one guild enter a shared pact with others. Each guild in an alliance generally expected some form of stability from the others, and it allowed smaller 'group of friends' guilds to quest and PvP with larger, gameplay focused guilds- or to specialize heavily in some form of gameplay guild (PvE, RP, PVP).

I wouldn't support a guild system in SotA that carved the weight of being a guildie out of the experience, like the former- the latter, however, would be a great idea. Alliances could open up tremendous potential, and unlike GWF, we need not constrain a guild to one alliance- if it worked in practice, there's no reason not to consider a guild with multiple alliances that each pertain to some focus. Guilds are already full of politics in themselves, so multiple alliances could take guilds in a very interesting direction- even if that direction were akin to a game like EVE Online.

2. Barnabas Znick

Barnabas Znick Avatar

I'm against multiple guilds, but would like to see a new channel called "community" added. So while we could only be in one "guild", we would declare our home and have access to a chat for that area.

So if we own property in a town we're a part of that community, and if we don't own any property we could still declare 1 town as our "home".

This way we could be in a guild that we have our loyalty to and be the people we play with the most/etc., but we would still be a part of a city or town as well.

It could work in a RP sense, because while I might be part of a group/guild of fighters, merchants or tailors, I would still have an allegiance to my community and the people I live near.

A Ghost likes this.
  3. Dasilva

Dasilva Avatar

why would they go multiguild?> this game isnt going to have the numbers, your going to have what about 100k members or so? there really is no valid reason to go multiguild with those numbers, and on top of that since this is a kickback to the 1980's guild loyalty will be a lot more important, if I were running a guild in a game back in those days and you had alts in another guild? id kick you and tell you go join that guild then, cause your not loyal to our guild, multiguilds just gives an excuse to not be loyal to you teammates, its all part of the modern day mentality of loyalty to no one but myself that goes on way to much, ESO for example is failing misterably, and the multiguilds is one of the reasons

4. Curt

Curt Avatar

Would like to see a set of Keywords that's would describe a guild and to make it possible to be in two guilds ONLY if they shared no keyword.

5. Tahru

Tahru Avatar

The main problem with this thread is people keep talking past each other without reading what others are saying.

The biggest mistake is the title. Instead of multi-guild, it should say "add services to support multiple social groups, similar to what guilds have", such as chat groups.

A Ghost likes this.
  6. ThurisazSheol

ThurisazSheol Avatar

can't edit the subject of the OP, but i did add this at the front of it:

EDIT: this thread has morphed into JUST a multi-GUILD request. Please read the entirety of page 2, to see what it has now become, before responding. thank you.

maybe that'll help..

7. A Ghost

A Ghost Avatar

Agreed.

Folks, let's request that this thread be locked for changes so that we can move the discussion to another page. I'll post the complete text of the Tech Write-up there, for those that care.
    Here's the newly created thread.

Mods, please lock this thread. Thanks.

Tahru likes this.
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.