Please put street names in English

Discussion in 'Archived Topics' started by Satan Himself, Apr 15, 2015.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Tahru

Tahru Avatar

For shops and places of interest, I sorta expect there will be universally recognized symbols on them.

[​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

2. Xi_

Xi_ Avatar

I expect to see this in game or i am selling my account!

Greyhaven and Tahru like this.
  3. Satan Himself

Satan Himself Avatar

So let me guess:

1) The Phallus Martini
    2) Skateboard Wheels Depot
    3) Mount This
    4) Screw Your Wrench
    5) Traffic Ticket Bureau
    6) The Broken Chamber Pot

4. Lord Marshal Half Heal

Lord Marshal Half Heal Avatar

I like the statement you play the game your way and I play the game my way. SOTA with the hover that gives me my English translations and without taking away from players immersion to only read in SOTA alphabet. Kudos to SOTA for such a solution that caters to both groups!

Group hug.....

Gabriel Nightshadow and FrostII like this.
  5. FrostII

FrostII Bug Hunter

Yup, I agree with the perfect solution via hover....
    Glance down at the Runic when you hover to get the street name and you'll realize you don't have to learn them all. Some are virtually identical to the English alphabet....
    Who knows, we might all learn Runic, eventually - by osmosis if nothing else.
    That would be great! ;)

6. Weins201

Weins201 Avatar

what about German, Spanish, Italina, French, etc.

7. Quenton

Quenton Avatar

Here's a different perspective: I can read runic, but only if I stop and look at it carefully enough to translate each letter. A word might take 5-10 seconds. I might get held up on one letter and have to guess.

So if I'm running around trying to figure out where I am, what's going to happen with my play experience if I have to stop and translate as well?

It might work, it might not.

If there's a tooltip there, it's a safe bet I'm looking at that first (even if I can translate it quickly). I imagine that "more important" words on artifacts or whatever won't have ready-translations.
    X

8. Net

Net Avatar

Well, if you are trying to figure out where you are, it might be good idea to stop and look around, not to run around:) And stopping to read street name is nto such a bad thing.

Besides maps are in runic as well, so you can compare runic to runic without the actual translation.

Balec Fares deCani and Arianna like this.
  9. FrostII

FrostII Bug Hunter

Good point, and one that I should have thought of myself... My bad.
    But then again, all the menu's are in English - are they not?
    Soo........

10. Quenton

Quenton Avatar

But the thought process changes from stop-look around-read sign-move to stop-look around-read sign-start translating for up to 10 seconds-move.

And with the runic on the maps, I haven't yet translated a single word on those yet. I look for the squares representing buildings and that's it.

11. FrostII

FrostII Bug Hunter

So, what's the rush?

12. Haukeye

Haukeye Avatar

People try so hard to force their opinions on others. Honestly it is a simple solution as others have said. Add a box to allow for the runic or English text. Or the hover box. to debate it is honestly childish. No matter how many posts or pages this goes it all comes down to two groups, those who want it, and those who do not. The solution is easy :)

13. Lord Marshal Half Heal

Lord Marshal Half Heal Avatar

The thread is useless, SOTA has already implemented a solution, that handles BOTH game play styles. This is the "restricted property setting" issue all over again.

SOTA has implemented, SOTA has spoken, so get over it and move on. There are far more important topics to discuss on this game that might actually get SOTA to alter game play then this. Your beating a dead horse, guys and gals.

14. Greyfox

Greyfox Avatar

Please stop trying to enforce a perceived attempt at immersion upon everyone. The first "game" that makes me learn a new alphabet and language just to find my way around is one that I will delete. I game to be entertained, not to be forced into learning a new language. I'd rather spend my limited free time learning something of value like Hindi.

Really anyone supporting forcing this nonsense upon others needs to get a JOB and/or a life outside a virtual world. I have both, and no way is there time or desire to learn how to read runic. Even in the early Ultima games when I was a bored and lonely school boy, I didn't find a value in learning an imaginary language. Sorry LB, love you, but I spent my time learning Assembly, C, and BASIC which helped me to get my JOB.

15. Amber Raine

Amber Raine Community Ambassador (FR)

~looks at the runic sign sideways. . Then moves closer. Her eyes narrowing as she reads it.

A smile slowly caresses her lips as she proceeds to hug it~

I LOVE the runic signs. . BTW I also have a job. .it's called avatars radio :) (believe me it is more full time then some full time jobs)

I also like the English tool tip. . Perhaps thoughts on Quenya for the elves while at it? JS! (/sarcasm)

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.