Please Tell Me Im Just Misunderstanding The Player Vendors...

Discussion in 'New Player Welcome' started by Ookla, Oct 22, 2018.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Anpu

Anpu Avatar

Agreed! Just use your Guild or Governor Vendors instead.

2. Sean Silverfoot

Sean Silverfoot Avatar

I don't know, to me, if running a store is your thing then I'd just buy a CF vendor, support the game or hopefully they are available on the in-game COTO vendor and one can work their way to it. Or as suggested use that wonderful smartphone our heads are always glued to and make use of the calendar and notifications. Hell perhaps someone can develop an app for use. I can understand the pain of losing an item, but all the warning signs are there. Perhaps it's better to not always trust a shady street vendor <g>.

Just my opinion, I don't play the game as a merchant and when I need to sell PaxLair has 3 or 4 CF vendors that are available for residents to make use of.

3. shadtek

shadtek Avatar

How's a new player going to know that? How are they going to already be in a guild? Nobody tells anyone this, and it is not in the player guide that I know of... I lost a handful of items 1 time, and yeah I was pissed. I don't use them at all now, in fact, only noobs really use them anyway-BECAUSE THEY DON'T KNOW BETTER. Anyone who has used them once does not use them at all anymore, a few exceptions of course but for the most part, the concept is already dead. as in, not being used how the coders intended. Just not being used at all....

Xandra7, Gorthyn, Aeryk and 1 other person like this.
  4. Anpu

Anpu Avatar

You ask questions on the forum?

Elwyn and Sean Silverfoot like this.
  5. Barugon

Barugon Avatar

Thanks everyone for the warm and friendly comments here in the New Player Welcome forum.

Jason_M, Gorthyn, Aeryk and 1 other person like this.
  6. Ookla

Ookla Avatar

Yes they do charge for listings, or at least they charge me anyhow. Every single time ive ever posted an item with them, when i sign for the listing at the end of the transaction, theres a box in the upper left corner of it that says how much hes charging me to sell the item. Thats part of the reason i hate this stupid way of auctioning that they use here. If the item doesnt sell they not only keep the item & pay me a little chicken **** pittance amount for the item, but thet have charged me for the posting in the first place. Im really surprised, for a game i thought was well planned out & that favored the player i was very wrong, it actually punishes or screws over the players in quiet a few ways. Between the crappy chest end rewards from quests, all the problems with the recipe crafting like the unavailability of almost any recipe above standard/stock items except in "supply bundles" which of course are either very expensive or need cash to buy them & the fact that evidently sometime in the past the crafting system was redone but all the game sites having to do with SotA still have the WRONG/old information about it, the growling guards, the player screwing public vendors, the NPC's that arent around as soon as the sun starts to go down to the trainers who wander off as soon as you get the Training menu up yet hardly ever move until then, im really shocked this game still has players & hasnt closed yet. An from what i understand this is all after it was in beta for 5 years. My god what did they do for that 5 years, go on 8 hour a day coffee breaks or was it that the game was so messed up from the start that these are the glitches or poor choices that made it through the beta?.......[​IMG]

Xandra7 likes this.
  7. kaeshiva

kaeshiva Avatar

Well....honestly....

It seems that the "public vendor" is likely a feature that can be retired.

From this feedback, I see:

- creates problem for new players who dont know better
    - takes your stuff
    - charges you to sell your item when free alternatives exist and are abundant
    - no way to know/understand functionality without engaging forums outside of game or if you've met/run into people alraedy to warn you off using them

They are also limited space, limited time, and regional. If they were a GLOBAL listing, I could kinda see paying a commission cost and having to monitor the time your item sits. Of course then it would just be full of adverts for people to go buy things in xx instead. I think a public bulletin board would make a lot more sense in that case.

Other than a very few select towns, most of these vendors are 100% completely empty every time I check them.

They have seemed pointless for a long, long time.

Perhaps a step would be to make them regional rather than local, ie, public vendors on perennial coast share inventory, public vendors on hidden vale share inventory, etc. That might help them have more appeal

8. shadtek

shadtek Avatar

I get it, in Video Games the economy never works right because of greed. (people are really, REALLY proud of their stuff)
    What I don't get is why they leave it when it's not working out? See I heard that the items lost were supposed to appear as loot, and that would be really cool.
    But if it didn't get implemented and serves no purpose other than to screw over new players, I personally would correct that. We need more players, don't we?
    If even 1 player quits over some kind of snafu, then that's one too many.

Xandra7 likes this.
  9. Elwyn

Elwyn Avatar

I think simply making No Value items be returned instead of 1 gold would be the simplest possible fix. But even that may have its problems, in that it could lead to loss through complacency.

Aeryk likes this.
  10. Floors

Floors Avatar

Supply bundles have player items.

11. Kara Brae

Kara Brae Avatar

Comments like “read the fine print” or “I started out with nothing and became a millionaire in game” or “people should set alarms in their cell phones for retiring items” make sense logically, but I would find them to be discouraging if I were a new player. The mechanics of losing items on public vendors are painful and the only people they favor are those who own competing private vendors. Let’s not forget that the game’s original concept was that the number of landed elite with private vendors was supposed to be a tiny percentage of the entire player base. These mechanics are simply punishing to that base and do nothing to attract new players. Sniffing the air, I sense another “quality of life” change coming.

Gorthyn likes this.
  12. Steevodeevo

Steevodeevo Avatar

Excellent and ballaced points but one thing Kara - the original game concept of the landed elite merchants and an underclass of feisty, upwardly mobile peasants, farmers, hero's, adventurers and robbers is gone. Port has clearly changed the commercial driver such that every soul in the game is encouraged and steered to own property and a vendor, maybe not tax free. They simply were driven that way by player dynamics and demand and, importantly because they seriously needed the cash.

Kara Brae and Gorthyn like this.
  13. Duke William of Serenite

Duke William of Serenite Avatar

My guild offers 6 player vendors to new members. You will never have that problem with us. I am sure most guilds do the same, there are 100 of empty towns waiting for someone like you to come setup shop, the world is your oyster..

14. Black FjP

Black FjP Avatar

Just get rid of them. They are intentionally bad value but accessible becuase you are supposed to be motivated to get to a better place in the game and to give you something to work for. There are many resources provided by players in the game that make the vendors unneccesary.

Gorthyn likes this.
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.