PLZ change the type of CATCHA on the site..

Discussion in 'General Discussion' started by Odyssey2001, Aug 17, 2016.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Odyssey2001

Odyssey2001 Avatar

It took be 5 tries to get on to the board just now as I keep missing the catcha..I realize this is a security measure but there are other messures out there that are just as good but are clearer and easier to read..

You can also alternatively add a Voice option so we can click to hear the characters for those finding it difficult to read..

2. Greyfox

Greyfox Avatar

Amen,

5 tries, you are doing better than me.

If changed so your PC is recognized on subsequent visits the current system works.

Lord Bankee, Krohon, Rothana and 2 others like this.
  3. Whyterose Flowers

Whyterose Flowers Avatar

Yes I agree its VERY annoying and it needs to be changed.

4. Gideon Thrax

Gideon Thrax Avatar

5. Duncan O. McDermott

Duncan O. McDermott Avatar

I am confused by this post. I have ignored the captcha thing each time I log in and get to my account without a problem. Am I doing something wrong or is this not really working and everyone is annoyed at the button?

Duke Avery and Tahru like this.
  6. Earl Atogrim von Draken

Earl Atogrim von Draken Avatar

LuL what?
    Got to try this.
    Beside that: yes change it. It's terrible.

blaquerogue, Sir Cabirus and Tahru like this.
  7. majoria70

majoria70 Avatar

Hmm, I am having good luck with it so far. I am having to do it on my phone ATM and I just enlarge the screen and some letters are caps and some are not. I have found it not to be as complex as other capchas I have used. But just imo. If someone has a better idea that is ok too;)

Moiseyev Trueden likes this.
  8. Halvard

Halvard Avatar

First couple I answered was so easy I was amazed and pleased.

1 hour later and I can't get in because of this annoying thingy in my way :eek:

9. Valdor

Valdor Avatar

I posted a similar thread earlier. Maybe @DarkStarr can comment? I have to admit though, I haven't tried ignoring it. Will have to try that the next time I log in.

10. gensicke

gensicke Avatar

agree it sucks

Ice Queen likes this.
  11. Odyssey2001

Odyssey2001 Avatar

If we can ignore it then its not working as intended.. I guess they will fix it. though it would be nice if then could also take "greyfox" suggestion and have the PC recognized on subsequent visits" MAC address could be taking and compared to username and password given which would reduce the amount of catcha being displayed..

12. Sir Cabirus

Sir Cabirus Avatar

To ignore it doesn't work. BTW - it took me seven tries to log in last time *sigh* @Portalarium please change the captcha :)

13. yarnevk

yarnevk Avatar

Captchas are incredibly annoying, but did you ever wonder why they are increasingly so complex? It is because if spammers cannot solve it with pattern recognition automation, it forces the spammers to hire third world (possibly slave/child) labor to get thru. If it takes you 5x as long to get in, it takes them 5x as long which means their daily hit rate plummets to a weekly hit rate and no longer cost effective.

On other boards that have had similar posts about annoying captchas, while the posts went up about how annoying they are, the spammers become very rare and easily caught by moderators. It briefly annoying you for the first time login ( just keep the forum up), so that they constantly annoy the spammers into moving on. Since the board just got attacked by cracked passwords, I think captchas are needed.

14. Celthon

Celthon Avatar

The one's saying it can be ignored are not logging out of the forums nor their account page on the main SoTA Site page, I think.

After reading that earlier in this thread I tried multiple ways to "ignore" it, and the only way that works is if I do not log out of the forum, I can shut off the computer, then turn it back on and come to the forum page and I am not required to log in again nor use the captcha, because I am still logged in to the forum. Same with the Main SoTA page...linked via the SoTA Icon at very top-left of this page...if I do not log out, I can return to the account page a day later, without having to re-enter my password and without using the captcha. But if I log out properly, I must go through the captcha to log back in.

Admittedly not knowledgeable regarding computers, but I would question the security of keeping oneself logged into your account on a site that has publicly admitted to having hackers trying to break in.

For the ones having trouble with the captcha -- what I do is look at what it wants me to retype, and if I cannot read it easily I just hit the refresh button on my browser -- usually get an easier to read one on second or third refresh. Takes less than 2 seconds. I am nearing 60 years of age and wear bifocals, so some of the captcha sequences are hard to make out, but having to lock and unlock my house door while carrying groceries, etc. is sometimes inconvenient also...but that's life.

Last edited: Aug 17, 2016
    Whyterose Flowers likes this.
  15. Jace3

Jace3 Avatar

Yes I tired to follow this advice and found what you found. As long as I was logged into the forum I could ignore the capcha. Once I logged out of the forum I had to use the capcha or I couldn't progress. Good to know it worked.

16. Enziet

Enziet Avatar

My progress to post this message. fdjhkslfjls tab tab fjdklsfjlsk tab tab fsjklafjskl tab tab fjsdklfdjks tab tab jfdlksajfks tab tab fjiosifosm tab tab fjdslkifgoe tab tab fjdsnfdsio tab tab nvdosfondis tab tab fjdlsoipsijfp tab tab fndsoingdsa tab tab vmnosdndfkls tab tab fndisofdiso tab tab ngmsdolnvio tab tab.......... See how annoying it is?? Get rid of the stupid captcha thing.

17. Jatvardur

Jatvardur Avatar

2FA would be better but I'm sure people would complain about 2FA to read the forum, although surely less annoying than a CAPTCHA. The more recent version of the CAPTCHA mechanism, reCAPTCHA, is less annoying too. Some anti-automation defense mechanism is necessary, especially for the higher pledge levels. It is easy to moan about them now, but after a series of high profile breaches people will moan that not enough was done. Some of us have been asking for better security for years.

18. 2112Starman

2112Starman Avatar

We all agree that 2 form factor authentication is needed but really, you guys did it in the most terrible way. I've never had to do that to log into anything in my life every time I want to go into forums and I've been in IT for 25 years working for the federal government in NERC SIP environments.

Ice Queen and Whyterose Flowers like this.
  19. Roodolf

Roodolf Avatar

takes me at least 3 tries everytime to login. i understand the need for the captcha, but it's an annoyance. would welcome 2FA instead.

20. Onyx

Onyx Avatar

I agree that I would rather have a Yobikey but captcha is infinitely better than having nothing. By the way, it is not case sensitive.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.