[POLL] do you consiter looting the undead to be grave robbing?

Discussion in 'General Discussion' started by redrumdrake, Dec 24, 2013.

?

do you consiter looting the undead too be grave robbing?

1. No

65.2%
  2. Yes

26.1%
  3. Not Shure

8.7%
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. redrumdrake

redrumdrake Avatar

i was playing Skyrim again and after i cleared out a room of undead and started looting. I felt like i was a grave robber because i was taking the gold and other treasure they had on them, that clearly there family given them as a final gift. yes they did come back and fight me but i was invading the tomb too start with. so i was wondering what everyone here thinks about looting the undead.

2. High Baron O`Sullivan

High Baron O`Sullivan Avatar

If they were undead then it would be fair game considering they are not dead and can defend themselves. An ant has no quarrel with a boot.

3. Isaiah

Isaiah Avatar

can't be grave robbing when they willfully left the grave. They gave up their rights to rest in peace when they picked up and walked away. Loot at will. Don't let it affect your conscience.

OSullivan likes this.
  4. jondavis

jondavis Avatar

5. Eriador

Eriador Avatar

Well, thinking in a RPG way, "grave robbing" is bad because your are robbing and broking a holy place. But undeads are not holy at all.

6. Eriador

Eriador Avatar

Maybe you are even good because you are making them to "rest in peace"! ;)

7. Isaiah

Isaiah Avatar

True! if they were in their graves and pop out because you walked in then that becomes self-defense! Then it is grave robbery.

I was thinking if they were hanging out in some creepy castle they took over, but if you are walking through a crypt and you get attacked by some undead they could be just protecting their homes.

On another note they could be extraterrestrials that opened up a rift in space-time and are trying to inhabit bodies because their world is dying and they are trapped in a gaseous form. In which case destroying them might be of utmost importance. However a quest like this might lead to us getting a replica of Dr. Who's sonic screwdriver for being a hero for helping fix the rift in space-time.

Gabriel Nightshadow likes this.
  8. Eriador

Eriador Avatar

Other point of view is that Im going there to kill unholy creatures (remember, undead are unholy, it depends of the unvierse, but normally they are made by evil powers and to be evil), like a brave and nice warrior. Technically could be grave robbery, but morally... Anyway I think that "moral problem" should be worse in a dungeon or cave. You go there and you steal their treasures to alive creatures. And they also have families, alive families that maybe they have to feed. :p

Are we playing in the wrong side?

9. Duke Gréagóir

Duke Gréagóir Legend of the Hearth

Dracula is not evil. He was just hungry.

Wolfman is not evil, He was just following his instincts.

Frankenstein is not evil. He was misunderstood.

Mummy is not evil. He does not like to be looted by grave robbers.

LOL

jondavis likes this.
  10. redfish

redfish Avatar

I remember in one of the barrows, someone gives you permission to take the items from his ancestors. So the devs were at least thinking about this issue.

Kuno Brauer and Eriador like this.
  11. Eriador

Eriador Avatar

"I'm not bad. I'm just drawn that way."

-Jessica Rabbit

XD

Lord Gréagóir likes this.
  12. BillRoy

BillRoy Avatar

Make all the excuses you want, but if you decide to take items and possessions that aren't yours then you are committing a crime.
    It doesn't matter if those things belong to a creature that is "living impaired" or if it has what we would consider a "low-level" of sentience, when you go to it's dwelling place or lair and invade it with the intent of robbery and killing anything that tries to stop you, you are a villain of the darkest dye and deserve no sympathy.

If you loot a creature that sought you out then that's recompensation, but if you are the aggressor then you are the bad one.

jondavis and Grayhawk like this.
  13. Ashlynn [Pax]

Ashlynn [Pax] Avatar

Yes it is graverobbing. But in the gaming world we're not much further beyond entering someone's house and looting all the chests in it. Skyrim just adds the "owned" tag to items in a home now but it doesn't seem to mind you robbing the resting places of resident's ancestors. =P

14. sakuraba

sakuraba Avatar

You play Skyrim with a conscience? Whoa! :)
    You are definitely helping those lost souls sleep eternally and I'm sure for that they would want to reward you if they could...... :)

Time Lord likes this.
  15. Dermott

Dermott Avatar

Grave robbing requires a grave.

Of course given enough time, it magically turns into "archaeology".

16. Sir_Hemlock

Sir_Hemlock Avatar

If its dead, I'm stealing it :)

17. Owain

Owain Avatar

No more than I consider killing them to be murder.

Sir_Hemlock likes this.
  18. Ashlynn [Pax]

Ashlynn [Pax] Avatar

I'm assuming the OP is referring to where you visit one of the many barrows and tombs around the province, kill some draugr and then loot anything of value you can find. These resting places of the dead are clearly known to the people of the province but no one ever seems to mind you bringing back the latest haul of ancient nordic artifacts to sell or whatever. Which then of course makes you wonder why the places hadn't been stripped clean long before you arrived.

To put a more modern fantastical spin on it: imagine there's something haunting the mausoleum at a cemetery in a well to do area in town. You go be all heroic and deal with the problem for whatever reason. Then you begin looting anything of potential value you can find from fancy urns containing ashes of the deceased, to perhaps even the plaques on some of the walls. I'm sure the family of the interred won't mind you desecrating the place like that.

But SotA is going to be in the spirit of an Ultima game. Perhaps there will be moral conundrums like that. Do you loot everything not nailed down or not? What influence does that have on your character's "virtue"?

BillRoy, smack and Grayhawk like this.
  19. smack

smack Avatar

In the context of this game's lore as it has been revealed so far, the undead have arisen because of the Obsidian Sorcerers. They have raised them to fight and now they've run amuck since they can't be controlled and will fight anyone, including those that raised them.

Who are you, as an avatar, an outlander, to pass judgement on whether or not they are good or evil? Are we entering a time of civil war and must now choose sides?

Regarding the poll, at face value robbing is taking that which is not yours, especially more so from a place that you do not own. So yes, technically, looting the undead's tombs, barrows, graves, is robbing them of their possessions placed with them for their "afterlife" or whatever.

Will the game have something to say about this? I hope so. Will it always be a negative impact to virtue? That would be interesting to find out. There may be quests to retrieve items that have been stolen previously and we're asked to retrieve them from these tombs. Or perhaps we're being played. If so, for what purpose, and by whom? I'm anxious to find out!

Sir Frank and Grayhawk like this.
  20. tuchaka

tuchaka Avatar

undead not grave robbing , I am just not gonna walk away from loot regardless which made Ultima IV really interesting for me since I couldn't pillage at will.

Sir_Hemlock likes this.
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.