[POLL] How did you feel about the length of the day/night cycle in Pre-Alpha Release 1?

Discussion in 'General Discussion' started by smack, Dec 15, 2013.

?

How did you feel about the length of the day/night cycle in Pre-Alpha Release 1?

1. Too short

75.0%
  2. Too long

6.3%
  3. Just right

18.8%
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. smack

smack Avatar

It looks like the current timing is about 30 minutes per day/night cycle. How did you feel about that length of time? Vote above and comment below!

BONUS QUESTIONS: Did you think the night was too bright or too dark? What about the darkness of the nighttime sky or the brightness of the daytime sky?

Time Lord, Kuno Brauer and Mordecai like this.
  2. NirAntae

NirAntae Avatar

I think it was much, much too short... I understand the theory to make sure casual players can experience both day and night, but if, for instance, you are on some sort of mission that requires one or the other, you would hardly have time to do anything.

Kuno Brauer, Lord Albert and smack like this.
  3. Miganarchine

Miganarchine Avatar

Yes make it longer, You could always sleep until night etc for specific missions, Hopefully we will see a varied type of quest system that uses such things as light and dark, RG is not a fan of fetch quests so that is a good thing.

Kuno Brauer and smack like this.
  4. Vaultarn

Vaultarn Avatar

Agree with the above posters. The shift between night and day should be longer. I'd also like to see differences within those cycles as well.

For a simple example:
    Day - Sunny, overcast, showers, rain, high winds/lightning storms etc
    Night - Full moon = good amount of light(current level of lighting), Half moon = diminished light, No moon = near pitch dark, with any combination of wind, rain, lightning storms etc.

5. sakuraba

sakuraba Avatar

The transition of the sun/moon was great
    As for the day/night cycle it was just a little too quick for me.
    I have no doubt it will be refined and is just another variable at this early stage.

6. fan.of.devin

fan.of.devin Avatar

Really liked it visually, but it definitely would benefit from being much longer. How about 12 ingame day/night cycles per 24 hours?

Kuno Brauer, smack and Brimor like this.
  7. da.n.ynu.tk.os.@gmail.com

da.n.ynu.tk.os.@gmail.com Avatar

The cycles looked great to me especially this early, but I agree that they are currently too fast.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

8. Eriador

Eriador Avatar

For me was a little bit short, but maybe was because was a short Alpha. The night was ok for me, not very dark but we were in a city (or town or whatever)... That magic ball with lightings seems enough to me to make some extra light for my living place, even if we dont have lamps in the streets. :p

That dark night perhaps is more necessary and interesting in other kind of scenarios. I like the idea about the moon light. :)

9. Ao Soliwilos

Ao Soliwilos Avatar

Some others I know who played in the alpha, but are not active here felt it was shifting too quick as well. It looks great, though. I like that it becomes really dark at night, and gives meaning and real atmosphere to torches and other light sources.

10. JAMorton

JAMorton Avatar

Yeah I agree with above poster of 12 Day/Night cycles in 24 hours a 2 hour night would lend great atmosphere and I really like how dark it is too. In UO I never used night sight armour because I always like seeing what it was like at night and never liked perpetual daytime. The cycles at the moment are way too short.

11. EVL Treasurer

EVL Treasurer Avatar

my only problem was every time the sun rose or set I stopped doing what I was doing and started watching the sky or the shadows cast by the windmills and that type of stuff lol.

12. Vyrin

Vyrin Avatar

There has to be a wait or sleep feature eventually too.

13. Galahad Scythe

Galahad Scythe Avatar

Cycle is DEFINETLY too short, but as others said before, it is easily changed and maybe was intended to be that short because of the alpha stage/peroid is early and short aswell...

in my opininon it just makes no sense when i walk in/around town and have day/night switched like twice by walking a distance like 5miles/km...

I think distance/time relation might be the best solution, though i have absoluetly no idea how to measure it.

Lightning differences were quite good. i agree with the idea of different moonlightning and would add the aspect of depending in what area you are at. (woods dark, open terrain way brighter)

wait/sleep cannot be introduced (or atleast in single play only) since timecycle should be same for everyone... would be really confusing if it is day for me and night for you when playing together

Akeashar, Kuno Brauer and smack like this.
  14. Myth2

Myth2 Avatar

This sounds good. I'd like the cycle to be way longer (3, 6, 12, or 24 hours), and I'd like things to be dark enough at night to actually require the use of a torch.

15. Valice Belgraham

Valice Belgraham Avatar

Just wondering if we will see differences in the length of cycles depending on the season as well? I know there is a ton of attention to detail being placed in this game, and would hate to see that missed out on.

Around winter time night cycles should be longer then day cycles, and during summer seasons day time should run longer then night time.

Not sure what the geographical location of this island is in location to the entire world we are on. north or south of the equator, and if it is closer to a poll, then the day/night cycles should be drastically longer depending on the time of the season.

Do we know the scale of the island in reference to the world either?

Phredicon, Kuno Brauer and smack like this.
  16. Pendragon

Pendragon Avatar

In the woods looking for a wandering healer.
    Yup, felt a bit short.

17. Hempy Do`Herben

Hempy Do`Herben Avatar

I enjoyed the night time. Seemed to short to me. I really enjoyed seeing the time change from the roof of my house. I noticed the lunar explosion for the 1st time last night (that was really cool) especially knowing it is part of the story.

The NIGHT TIME is really cool, the world changes at night and feels a little scary i would say. But I am sure once more cozy with the town I will feel more comfortable at night walking around.

I really like MORDECAI's idea of making it dark enough outside so TORCHES would be needed. THAT WOULD BE AMAZING!

Mishri, Kuno Brauer, smack and 2 others like this.
  18. Blackghost

Blackghost Avatar

MORDECAI's idea of making it dark enough outside so TORCHES would be needed. THAT WOULD BE AMAZING!

Agreed.

19. Lord Regis

Lord Regis Avatar

Yes the length of the day/night model is very short, and maybe should be closer to 1 hour each period. Or perhaps based on real time. As that would give the world accurate feel.

20. Lord Regis

Lord Regis Avatar

And as far as darkness, I felt was way too bright. Just try walking outside when its dark, I don't know about you but its hard too see around even when the moon is out.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.