Poll: PVP or PVE - Which Are You? [UNOFFICIAL]

Discussion in 'PvP Gameplay' started by Gasket, Nov 28, 2013.

?

What are you, PVP or PVE player? What type?

1. PVP - Consensual - No Looting

39 vote(s)
    11.8%
  2. PVP - Consensual - Full Looting

63 vote(s)
    19.0%
  3. PVP - Consensual Or Not - No Looting

12 vote(s)
    3.6%
  4. PVP - Consensual Or Not - Full Looting

149 vote(s)
    45.0%
  5. PVE - Only - No Looting

40 vote(s)
    12.1%
  6. PVE - Only - Full Looting

28 vote(s)
    8.5%
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Ultima Aficionado

Ultima Aficionado Avatar

Thanks Codex, that's what I meant.

Mordecai likes this.
  2. Morkul

Morkul Avatar

In a Swedish RPG forum I'm active in have over hundred backers, or at least people that claims they are backers. In a poll there (again whit the uncertainty of polls) most of them where not so interested in the MMO part of the game, they are looking forward to the saga since Ultima always have been good story's, except for UO.

Most of those that are posting on this forum are looking forward to the MMO part of the game.

Personally I hope for a good saga AND a good MMORPG, I sincerely hope that the RPG part will be more evolved then it was in UO.

Aeryk likes this.
  3. Ultima Aficionado

Ultima Aficionado Avatar

Mortal, there wasn't a whole lot of new story elements in Ultima Online. The T2A instruction booklet that came with the game was pretty cool. Years ago, I read through the whole thing and about all the various types of creatures that inhabited the world. The instruction manual provided more of the story than you would see in the actual game. This was the same case with several of the earlier Ultimas. I don't think it was until Ultima 5 where the story actually started getting placed more into the game between dialogue and text on screen.

The Ultima series was legendary and fueled the CRPG genre. It was my interest in Ultima Online that got me interested into the entire Ultima series. I went out and purchased the Ultima Collector's CD back in 98 or 99 and played through all of the early games. I actually purchased them again about a year ago through GoG. One of the cool features about GoG is that there is a lot of bonus content included.

Ultima Online may not have contributed significantly to the stories of its predecessors, however it was full of lore. It was also awesome that you could really roleplay however you wanted with little developer imposed restrictions. A lot of my friends who also played Ultima Online were fans of the Ultima series. Coincidentally, a good friend of mine who played through and loved Ultima 7 was a PK. UO had a lot of little things that really made the game interesting (The prison in Yew that led to a secret tunnel and out into the new world, the serpent pillars where you had to enter the commands: recsu or recdu, fire island where Hythloth was located, creating a base of operation out of your boat and raiding Deceit, etc.).

4. Morkul

Morkul Avatar

I heal what you say, Ultima_Aficionado and I agree with a lot of it.

But there was people that where unhappy with the PK system in UO and it can be made better. On top of that so have the world change during all this time. Violence in the world have increased and it have increased even more in the world of gaming. UO was quite slow phased, a phase I would like to to perhaps even slow down further but most of the members here would like to make it a fast phased game.

To be honest I do not think the average backer of SotA wants a fast phased free for all where murdering a normal part of a day and without punishment. It would be really fun to put out a poll with good options, placed in a forum where everyone looks and not only those interested in PvP and where only backers can answer. I know see still do not get a statistic correct answer but it would be fun to see the difference.

Ultima_Aficionado likes this.
  5. Akeashar

Akeashar Avatar

True. I know that a lot of the PvE players wouldn't even go looking into the PvP forums. Its not the aspect of the game that they might be interested in, so they may not contribute towards it.

It'd be like attending a political rally for one of two major parties, and then asking the people attending whether they consider themselves true blooded members of that party, or a member of the other party.

I would have liked some hybridized answers, and have expressed that opinion in other threads, I ended up having to take the PvE - No Full Looting option. Tho I'm scratching my head as to why I would want full looting if I'm PvE. I'm somewhat open minded to testing the PvP waters, and I know from experience that PvP can have an impact on the PvE experience, especially at this stage of the design phase where not everything seems to be nutted out as yet, so its best to have as many people having a voice from both sides of the conversation. What you can take from this, however, is that a number of PvE players actually did contribute to this poll, and I hope that we do continue to contribute to the discussion from both sides of the fence.

6. mhoward48

mhoward48 Avatar

PVE only, no looting. I don't enjoy PVP. I am thinking you better not carry anything on you , that has value to you.

PVP full loot, is not something I would ever play. Maybe I should quit supporting until we hear for sure, just in case. I do not want to support a game financially that I would never play. If it goes that way, then ok. Just not a game for me. I will move on to something else. We all like different styles.

Lord Baldrith likes this.
  7. Acrylic 300

Acrylic 300 Avatar

The fear of losing it all, increases adrenaline and pure fun by at least 43% . More people means more money to develop the game. The only way this game will become the greatest game of all time is with Non consensual Full Looting goodness added. I heard RG just visited one of the largest Free UO shards in existence as LB. The shard happens to be a replica of UO before Trammel.

apoc01 likes this.
  8. Ristra

Ristra Avatar

More people means more money... Full loot non consensual PvP has the effect of pushing players away.

Oh, and one thing I learned in all my time playing the free shards, it's free, that's why people play. Make SotA free you will get a different reaction from people about PvP. (Not during the creation. When they are bored with every other game and are looking for something to play they won't care about non consensual PvP so much)

Lord Gréagóir likes this.
  9. enderandrew

enderandrew Legend of the Hearth

I think you get skewed results putting this in the PvP sub-forum. Those not interested in PvP aren't browsing this forum and aren't voting. Furthermore, less than 200 votes total is a drop in the bucket of the 68,000 backers.

Akeashar likes this.
  10. NRaas

NRaas Avatar

68000 "New Britannians"
    27722 "Backers"

Your point is still perfectly valid though, and I agree. Just best to not add any more combustibles to the fire, as they say. :)

11. Acrylic 300

Acrylic 300 Avatar

It might do even better in the crafting forum.

12. barkleyjer

barkleyjer Avatar

Normally polls intentionally use a small sample size (as in 1000 adults polled to represent an opinion of a whole nation...about a .000005% sample size), but that is the point of a poll, a cheap quick way to gather an opinion. Despite possible flaws in the poll and it being fully representative or not, I'm interested to see the results.

13. aparks

aparks Avatar

* i accidentally chose consensual full loot.

I meant to do -> PVP - Consensual Or Not - Full Looting

*edited for language - Koldar

14. aparks

aparks Avatar

I get the feeling this guy likes solo mode or role playing with the wife.

Are you the mod solely for this section or for the entire forums?

If just this section you should maybe ask to transfer over to PvE.

It would better fit your forum persona.

Ferrus likes this.
  15. Ultima Codex

Ultima Codex Avatar

I am, in fact, quite the fan of role-playing with my wife. But you probably meant that in a different context...

I offered to keep an eye on the place. It can get kinda...tense and unpleasant at times.

No it wouldn't, because I have as much interest for PvE multiplayer as I do for PvP multiplayer, which is to say "no interest at all". You guessed correctly above; I'm all about the single-player RPGs.

Which in some respects makes me the ideal mod for this section, because I don't care which MMO playstyle you favour; I only care if you're being hostile, disruptive, or combative on the forums...and if so, I'll take steps to mitigate that.

16. aparks

aparks Avatar

I meant what I said about playing with the wife. I know its very popular in RG's games for married couples to play games together and I meant no hostility.

I just think you may not be the right mod for a PvP section.

Your PvE influences show on your comments and they are not impartial like you may believe.

But that's just an observation and I don't see you closing threads so in that sense I think you are very fair and I appreciate that.

17. Ultima Codex

Ultima Codex Avatar

That's...not the kind of role-playing I was referring to at all.

It's certainly an opinion you are entitled to hold.

Single-player, influences Monsieur, if you please. Though I'll cop to being fascinated by some of the psychologies on display in the pro-PvP camp, especially in those who lobby in favour non-consensual PK playstyles.

It's what I try to be. As long as the forum is being, generally speaking, orderly and respectful, I see no need to intervene.

18. enderandrew

enderandrew Legend of the Hearth

One does not need to share opinions with other posters to moderate fairly.

Bodhbh Deargh likes this.
  19. apoc01

apoc01 Avatar

Welp looks like the Full Loot open Pvpers win officially once and for all.. 43 % want it the rest dont know what the heck they want at all.

20. Acrylic 300

Acrylic 300 Avatar

There is nothing to marvel at... the sane ones want to play against people and have consequences.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.