[POLL] What is your *overall* rating for this Pre-Alpha Release 2?

Discussion in 'General Discussion' started by smack, Jan 24, 2014.

?

What is your *overall* rating for this Pre-Alpha Release 2? (1=bad, 5=great)

1. 1

2.4%
  2. 2

13.0%
  3. 3

21.1%
  4. 4

41.5%
  5. 5

22.0%
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Dermott

Dermott Avatar

Yep... went to see if the texture had been cleared up from R1, went THROUGH the volcano (it's only a model apparantly) and slipped off the edge of the world and into The Void. Afterwards, Strange Things™ began to occur.

2. Deus_Irae

Deus_Irae Avatar

Gave it a 4 due to no walking and weapon sheathing ;) Otherwise, great job!

smack likes this.
  3. Mystic

Mystic Avatar

★★★★★

Not just saying that cause I'm a mod. :p

They have come quite a long way in the few months the game has been in production and I'm amazed at that aspect and keep that in mind when rating the aspects of the releases.

Crafting - Love it. I love that there are no "hand-holding" systems in place that make it easy. I love that it actually takes time and thought in order to craft or figure out recipes. There were already a few improvments made during the release which made things better. I have great feelings about the complexity and depth of the system. I especially like that we don't know all the recipes and have to learn them on our own. Very exciting for people who are crafters and merchants.

Recipe Log - Very useful in keeping up with which recipes you've found. :)

Kingsport - Not my favourite town, but it was fun to run around a small coastal village.

List Inventory - Very useful. Made sorting through the mass amounts of items in my backpack easier. Won't be nearly as big a problem in the future as I am very picky about my bag layout and prefer using the bag system.

Jumping - Adds a whole new element to the game. The only thing I think that really needs fixed is it should jump on press, not release IMO.

NRaas, smack and Phredicon like this.
  4. Alexander

Alexander Avatar

Thank You. But it seems odd that I would have to actually set it for continual chat after submit, rather than the other way around. I would have expected continual chat as a preferred default. Oh well. Anyways, solved one problem. The multiple NPC chatter is another issue altogether.

5. blaquerogue

blaquerogue Avatar

I like jumping!!!! and i Loved Kings port!

Time Lord and smack like this.
  6. Duke Death-Knell

Duke Death-Knell Avatar

As a reminder, here are the areas of focus for R2:
    Crafting : It is the kind of crafting I enjoy. Process is too clunky and needs an improvement in bulk production. Also basic recipes should be available. You have to know what you're doing before you can really start experimenting.
    Also some tools were very difficult to move off the workbenches or even be seen. I lost the scissors a few times but it applied to multiple tools as well.

Town 2 (Kingsport)- As this is a town on the same island I didn't have an issue with it. Hopefully other towns/cities have greater diversity.

List Inventory - did not use it

Character Customization++ - This was terrible. I was expecting much more for it being "Character Customization++" I know it is early alpha but this was my greatest disappointment.

Jumping - very clunky, not what I'm use to and didn't really like it.

Run Speed - never tried it

Mac & Linux Builds - do not use

Recipe Log - hopefully it will be improved. Basic recipes like long swords or maces etc.. should be given or available from a trainer.

smack likes this.
  7. docdoom77

docdoom77 Avatar

There is an option in the menu to change this back and forth. ;)

I see this was already answered. Sorry.

8. djshire

djshire Avatar

I liked R2 for what it was; I was really excited to craft. I think I made everything I could as a smelter/blacksmith.

Kingsport was a nice little town, plus it was nice to see the moongates in action.

I spent so much time crafting I really didn't get a huge chance to try out the different inventory systems, but I spent most of my time using list view, as it was the easiest way to do crafting.

I didn't get to test out the running system.

I liked being able to jump; I started almost always holding down space whilst running to be prepared to jump, so I always got the highest jump I could. Jump physics could use some work, as you tend to "float" down.

I was very thankful that they got the game to run on Mac, as my PC has been having some troubles as of late (shutting down, I'm guessing its either a memory issue or overheating), so being able to play on my Mac Mini was a good thing. Also, its great to see so many games now on a Mac, both new and old games from Good Old Games (I might just play Ultima 8 later).

A recipe log is a wonderful thing...I remember playing older MMORPGs and having to do things "old school" ie writing down recipes. Having a log book for craftables that you've already made is great, especially when you have a bad memory like me.

smack likes this.
  9. Alexander

Alexander Avatar

Thanks for responding anyways. I feel that it should be checked by default. I can't see anyone actually wanting this option unchecked.

10. docdoom77

docdoom77 Avatar

Me either actually. Not sure why it's an option at all, but as long as I have a choice, then I don't mind more options. Even ones that seem silly to me.

11. majoria70

majoria70 Avatar

Well for me when I see the usual post about rating a pre alpha I don't like it much. Well since it is on an unfinished product that is. If the tittle said 'what did you think about it or give your feedback, I could understand that, even though it accomplished people giving their opinions. So just me being a little nit picky lol

Lord Baldrith and smack like this.
  12. majoria70

majoria70 Avatar

Yes I did too. I loved being able to wander around like that and see views that seemed absolutely breathtaking lol. Also I felt like I discovered something that wasn't intended, which was very cool. Nice to look for little secrets and surprises in a game. That's what I want, not the 'mundane' which Richard also states this game wont be.

Lord Baldrith and Alexander like this.
  13. smack

smack Avatar

Understood! Ratings are what they are, jut a simple number. It's context and detailed feedback that is more important. This poll is indeed intended for those players that understand the Pre-Release aspect and are rating their overall experience keeping that perspective in mind. Plus, it helps the Devs see how they are doing relative to each Release. Thanks to everyone that has voted so far! Keep the votes coming and don't forget the Bonus Question! We know what's coming in R3, but you can also help improve it further!

14. Margard

Margard Avatar

Bonus Question -

Something that was a complete surprise was the hill/mountain area terrain near Owl's head ... the terrain, with it's uneven surfaces, made it feel like I was hiking and had to look for paths to reach higher areas ... that put a smile on my face (I've commented on this on other threads) I hope that this continues to be improved on or a focused feature for exploration

smack likes this.
  15. Violation Clauth

Violation Clauth Avatar

Jumping on key press not on key release

smack likes this.
  16. pkarapan

pkarapan Avatar

Definitely impressed with how fast they patched in the improved mouse-look and invert mouse features... good job!

docdoom77 and smack like this.
  17. Arkhan

Arkhan Avatar

It was fun, and a bit better than 1, but since I am not too interested in crafting, I was quickly bored by everything and logged off.

Glimo and smack like this.
  18. docdoom77

docdoom77 Avatar

I had a ton of fun, but I agree with you to some degree. Crafting just isn't that big on the list for me and I'm already done with it. I spent most of my time wandering, jabbering with npcs and doing the Winston (I think that was his name... wilson? I dunno.... the wounded guard) quest.

I might play a little more this afternoon, when my workout is over and try some recipes, but r4 is what I'm really waiting for. R3.. again meh. Don't like multi-player. I'll hop on for whatever else they get done though!

smack likes this.
  19. NRaas

NRaas Avatar

Winslow. :)

smack and docdoom77 like this.
  20. Doppelganger [MGT]

Doppelganger [MGT] Avatar

Ahh, pre-alpha release 2! A lot to say about this one, I have. Talk like Yoda for the rest of this post, I will not.

While I thought they did a lot of things right, what was supposed to be the focus of this release was my biggest complaint - the crafting. As it stands now, I feel the crafting is far too tedious, time consuming and clunky. They seriously need to simplify/streamline the process to make it more enjoyable, or I can guarantee I will not be crafting much in game. It is too much of a hassle click dragging the "exact" number of things onto the table and I spent a couple of hours trying to craft a complete item to no avail. All I ended up with is a bunch of parts and misc items. It was just a negative experience all around. Also, is it just me or were there not much improvements with NPC conversation? IMO they seemed just as dull and unresponsive as in the first release! I mean I noticed a couple positive things like them responding to curse words, but it seems there is a long way to go when it comes to solid conversation with the NPC's. They are missing a whole hell of a lot of key words and such.

Now onto the positive! I feel they are making some improvements with character control. The jumping is a great start and I feel that with some tweaking, that could be a great feature in game! The mouse movement updates in version 60 are a nice addition as well. The inclusion of a "invert mouse" feature is a step in the right direction for allowing the player some more control over movement. All of that being said, I still feel the movement needs some overall tweaking. Look at it like this; with the current control scheme, how do you think combat will feel? It is fine for running around a town with homes, fences, hills and rocks, but I have a feeling that battle with the current character control will be a bit clunky. Perhaps it could be a bit more "snappy" and responsive? I also hope the devs read this, but an inclusion of a mouse/camera sensitivity slider in a game like this is a must! Virtually all RPG's I've ever played has such a camera control and that would really add to fine tuning our individual player control experience. I am sure they are a long way from being completely done with such things though, and look forward to more improvements.

Aside from the crafting, it was pretty damn fun release 2 though. I really enjoyed checking out the second town (Kingsport) and thought the overall look of the town with the water was quite nice.

It was just unfortunate that the focus of this release was the biggest let down for me.

Time Lord, smack and Lord Baldrith like this.
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.