Polygon: Richard Garriott: the man, the myth, the mischief

Discussion in 'General Discussion' started by smack, Jan 30, 2017.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. MrBlight

MrBlight Avatar

Funny thing is, im very open and critical. And im pretty much living on verge of suspension on these forums.

Doesnt change the fact i really, realllly do belive the game can be the next big mmo. And having money and time invested in, is probly why i get so annoyed by a lot of the vagueness regarding many issues and plans.

I really don't like a lot of RG's answers here, and i really feel they have had some big shoot in the foot moments lately. The first comment on the interview basically tears the interview a new one. And while i agree with some ofit, im sure not happy to see it. Normally id counter it, but ..

Imo i think a lot of the trust that was such a nice ... relief to see between the dev team and its *very critical* but loyal community has been taking major hits lately.
    I was going to point out some examples or solutions.. but i am already pushing it im sure. I hope that bridge of trust can be rebuilt for the chunk of backers who arnt in that tight circle with the devs, or i feel every area with opinions they cant moderate will continue taking beatings, possibly ruining it for everyone.

I literally read these forums everyday, and the general attitude has waned. (If thats a word lol ) i really hope there can be some moves to remind us that everyone here DOES want the game to succeed, or we wouldnt be reading this.

Anyways im off topic now.

Sir_Hemlock likes this.
  2. mercster

mercster Avatar

To expect any of the devs, including Richard Garriot, to be happy and sunshine rainbows about being pummeled all day by users with things like "STOP FORCING ME INTO PVP!" when by no known definition of the word 'forcing' in the history of man is that statement even close to true, and there are MULTIPLE PEOPLE PATTING THEMSELVES ON THE BACK ABOUT IT...well, that's unrealistic. Of course they're frustrated. Who cares if they are.

Frankly I think the last few releases (with the exception of the huge amount of unintended bugs R37 caused) have been fantastic. I hope they continue to roll their eyes at the ridiculous criticisms, and continue to work hard on their vision and the reasonable criticisms.

FISHING BETTER GET A PASS IN R40! :)

3. MrBlight

MrBlight Avatar

One thing i DID like, was the part about the last 20%. And also why i am looking forward to the next few months up to release.
    Wont disagree at all, this last patch i very much enjoyed.

Fishing AND renting better not get shoved back :p

mercster likes this.
  4. mercster

mercster Avatar

I know i was SO psyched about fishing in R37...I am really gonna be disappointed if it gets pushed back again. I even bought the Pax Ring earlier today (got a pretty good deal on it though).

dp_dropout, Numa and MrBlight like this.
  5. Numa

Numa Avatar

Amen to fishing and renting. Looking forward to improvements to these systems very much(though renting is new).

MrBlight likes this.
  6. Frederick Glasgow

Frederick Glasgow Avatar

Personally, my heart aches for the development team. I sit here and read every week while they get beat on no matter what they do. Just because we backed the game,does not mean we should not use some respect toward them. I wish the "kickstarter" supporters realized that doesn't mean we get to 'kick" the developers. I think if we treated and spoke to the developers as we would wish to be treated, things would be better overall. There are ways to bring up issues without seeming to bash them.

fonsvitae, Hornpipe and majoria70 like this.
  7. Lord_Darkmoon

Lord_Darkmoon Avatar

And this comment shows me that the game has indeed changed. You say that you think SotA can become the next great MMO when it clearly says on the Kickstarter website: "Though Shroud of the Avatar won't be a massively multiplayer online roleplaying game it will be a multiplayer game."

8. Preachyr

Preachyr Avatar

Though you are right about what it actually says on the website, they seem to disagree ... From the article:
    edit to channel my inner Berek :) : So we should not go off topic in this thread by dragging the discussion back to the kickstarter since there are apparently other threads where that should be discussed

Last edited: Feb 3, 2017
    MrBlight likes this.
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.