Postal Services established in New Britannia

Discussion in 'General Discussion' started by WrathPhoenix, Nov 18, 2015.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Numa

Numa Avatar

Ow. And I was planning to have an extensive library too :eek:

Themo Lock likes this.
  2. Womby

Womby Avatar

Many are planning to have extensive libraries. This is a good thing.

Numa, Jatvardur and Themo Lock like this.
  3. Phiedrus Oliva

Phiedrus Oliva Avatar

I am sorry to come with one of those posts that don't really add that much to the conversation, but I just had to say that this is one of those great things that make MMOs unique, and I am so glad to witness it.
    Is there any way to apply for a job for the postal service? Any job? Even the most tedious one? Even off game (such as orgaizing excel documents, etc...)?

4. WrathPhoenix

WrathPhoenix Avatar

Well the short answer is YES! There are in fact jobs and I do in fact pay gold to do them! There's a LOT that can be done and much more that will occur over time. We need couriers, local post masters, runners, mail organizers etc. Talk to me (Kazyn Phoenixfyre) in game in the evenings and ill dive in to try to help you. Ill be online tonight doing my usual new player outrieach thing.

Also, I would not worry about out of game excel documents etc yet - though that will come in time (Spoke with @Elgarion De Kahli about some of it last night) we are trying to keep things as much IN game as we can at this point.

Sean Silverfoot, Numa and serolrom like this.
  5. Phiedrus Oliva

Phiedrus Oliva Avatar

Great! Looking forward to see what can I be useful with.
    But not sure it's going to be that easy. Something tells me your tonight is not my tonight. Europe here... am I lucky?

6. WrathPhoenix

WrathPhoenix Avatar

US here - I can be on soon - if you are still on?

7. WrathPhoenix

WrathPhoenix Avatar

For reference im in GMT - 5, but i can play during the day i just frequent US Evening hours more.

8. Bodhbh Dearg

Bodhbh Dearg Avatar

I am (usually) Europe too, although I travel a lot for work... Add me to your friends list and ping me when you see me online! :)
    (Exact same name as here on the forum!)

Sean Silverfoot likes this.
  9. Rinaldi

Rinaldi Bug Hunter

This mail system is interesting.
    A first step toward global trade.
    Other posts in this thread mention transport of goods: a detailed method of inter-town trade was described in this post, in which Players could protect or attack the trade convoys, and this could be done in pvp or non-pvp mode (linked post explains how). This type of trade opens up the option for spying: you need to get the time and route of the convoy, so you know when to attack! It would be like "brinks security" protecting a "Wells fargo" stage coach that is transporting valuables. while "Jesse James and his gang" attempt a stage coach robbery. This would add an exciting dynamic to the game!

Last edited: Nov 25, 2015
    Miracle Dragon likes this.
  10. Elgarion

Elgarion Dev Emeritus Dev Emeritus

Lovin this idea and I'm very happy to be a part of it. Many thanks :)

Kahli was selected as the region post office for the Hidden Vale. If there are any other cities in the Hidden Vale which would like to link up, let me know. I'll work immediately to set up the network with you and do my best to explain the process as explained to me by Kazyn. As of now, Kahli will pickup any mail from the Vale and deliver it to the Wolves Den on the Perennial Coast.

Also, I did up a postcard of Kahli's postoffice -- any other post offices wanting a card, simply send me a screenshot at admin@rpota.com with any descriptions you'd like on it. I'd be happy to build yours off my template and send it back to you.

[​IMG]

11. Duke Gréagóir

Duke Gréagóir Legend of the Hearth

Duchy of Dara Brae is honored to be Drachvald's regional mail hub! If any towns in Drachvald are interested in connecting to Dara Brae for mail service, please let me know.

4EverLost likes this.
  12. WrathPhoenix

WrathPhoenix Avatar

From Port Phoenix we just celebrated the shipping (and receiving) of our 100th letter. We also have now traded well over 10,000 raw resources to and fro.

13. Elgarion

Excellent! Most most excellent! Congratulations :) I really hope this is a sign of what is to come and proves to the developers that support for this concept will provide much return on their investment in time and energy :)

14. Bodhbh Dearg

Bodhbh Dearg Avatar

Teehee... Just realized that I was probably the first Postmaster (General) in SotA, since I've been a (very idle, until recently!) postmaster since well over a year at least! :p

Anyway, today's mail has been delivered, and I am off to catch some sleep before I have to get up at 3AM local time to head to the airport! (8:30 PM here)

Sláinte go saol agat, mo chairde, agus codladh sámh agat...

Last edited: Nov 26, 2015
  15. Elgarion

I just received the first letter from Kazyn via delivery from Bodhbh Dearg to the post office in Kahli of the Hidden Vale. Novia and the Vale are reaching across the sea to open channels of communication!

On this note -- if you would like to be a mail courier for your town/city in the Hidden Vale -- please contact me! The way it would work is that I'd deliver all incoming letters to your city to your post office, then you would distribute these letters or parcels to the addressee's.

Please let me know :)

Since I pass through Kingsport and Ardoris, I can also drop off any items en route to Novia whislt on my way to Wolves Den, the regional post office I primarily deliver to in Novia.

Loving it! Delivering my first letter (my reply to Kazyn) now to Wolves Den.

Sean Silverfoot and Bodhbh Dearg like this.
  16. Phiedrus Oliva

Phiedrus Oliva Avatar

Hi!

I tried a couple of times to join you guys, but by the time I see you online I'm almost about to call it a night. Now that we face the weekend and can stay longer, hopefully I can get started.

I have re-read this thread and I see there are now quite a few locations with mail service out there. Sure I can be of help to someone if I can spend a while daily doing whatever you need me to do: sorting, courier, etc. If you have a hub or office and need some help, please contact me and let me know where should I go.

I am Phiedrus in game.
    Timezone: GMT +1

On the other hand:
    I like the idea to keep the thing as in game as possible. However I'm afraid the only way to make it useful is that, at least, users know what to do if they want do send a mail to someone. There should be a public post, or maybe an update here in the OP that explains a bit of that. Let's say I'm a player who wants to send a letter to someone. What should I do?

Numa and Miracle Dragon like this.
  17. Earl Atogrim von Draken

Earl Atogrim von Draken Avatar

That would be awsome.
    Name is Atogrim vonDraken.
    But i am rather busy at the moment so don't be surprised if you aren't able to find me.

18. Miracle Dragon

Miracle Dragon Legend of the Hearth

Hmm.. in China, it is required to include a phone number with any parcel, a phone number of the sender and the receiver, so the delivery service can make contact and discuss how to get it to you. Maybe in-game, someone who wants to send or receive mail should be required to 'register' with their local post office, so the local post office master knows how to contact you (your in-game name), as well as your address or where your 'mail box' of choice might be.

Keeping an updated list of 'post offices' and what regions of New Britannia they serve would be important so people know which post office to register with. :D

serolrom likes this.
  19. Phiedrus Oliva

Phiedrus Oliva Avatar

That sounds good. Provided I don't yet know how things are done here :) But that's basically one of the things I was wondering.
    You can also display your coordinates, so I think it should be quite straightforward to give your address like "city/coordinates".

Miracle Dragon likes this.
  20. Bodhbh Dearg

Bodhbh Dearg Avatar

I am working on a sotawiki page for the Postal Service... Give me some time to fill in the details! ;)

Last edited: Nov 27, 2015
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.