PoT Ongoing Customization?

Discussion in 'Player Owned Towns' started by Retlaw, Oct 13, 2015.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Retlaw

Retlaw Avatar

Thinking of getting a PoT. As I understand it thus far, you purchase the size you want and it is a dynamic style town.

A few questions:

1) you pick the land style (swamp, forest, etc) for the town. Is this a permanent choice or say 6 months after game release can I change my mind?

2) you pick what lot types will be available. So again, is this a permanent setting? So like now I may want mostly village lots but maybe 6 months into release I have enough gold for a keep lot deed, can I remove some village lots to get a keep lot?

3) you place the lots picked on the template. Can you move these as many times as you like, or again is it a permanent decision come live game. Are there any public posts of the templates to see ahead of time or only once you buy the PoT?

Thanks in advance for help answering these questions, on the fence and the answers to this will help my decision.

Solazur and Sir Frank like this.
  2. Sir Frank

Sir Frank Master of the Mint

These are good questions.
    I'd love to know if the template will be permanent, and if the mix of lots I put on the town form will be final, or if I will always be able to change the mix.
    And also, it would be nice to be able to preview all of the templates. We need maps, and perhaps screenshots at least.
    Or even a Lunar Rift somewhere that cycled destinations to all of the templates, and inside each template there was a return rift.

The only answer I can guess at is for question 3. It appears that the towns will stay dynamic, and you can shuffle the plots around whenever you wish.

Solazur and Alley Oop like this.
  3. Sean Silverfoot

Sean Silverfoot Avatar

1) Not sure honestly

2) Yes, using the Dynamic tool you'll be able to adjust on the fly or change it up completely at anytime.

3) Yes You can rearrange lots as you please.

cartodude likes this.
  4. enderandrew

enderandrew Legend of the Hearth

This pre-release period provides for a good opportunity to change the template and design of your town. If you want to change it post-release, you may need to evict everyone from their lots and allow Portalarium to rebuild the scene. They said that towns can change in the future due to upgrades (going to a larger PoT size) but I'm not sure they'd change the scene in the game post-launch just because you want a different template.

As for the second question, right now we have a dynamic placement tool. Instead of a set static template, you can choose to define your lots where you want and how you want. You can change this around. I'm not sure if the dynamic tool will persist post-launch but it might.

5. Alley Oop

Alley Oop Bug Hunter Bug Moderator

+1 for this, a hometown for templates.

amaasing, Manerd, Solazur and 2 others like this.
  6. Spoon

Spoon Avatar

A similar question was asked in one of the hangouts. Don't remember which one though.
    But the basic response was that during alpha-beta you can switch and with each wipe they would be updated to the latest submitted info.

But once we go live, any changes that is outside the dynamic ones, will incur a fee to be handled to cover the costs etc of implementing any changes.

I'd guesstimate that the response would be similar to this question.

Depends on whether your POT has 'static' or 'dynamic' design.

If you have a static design then it is the same answer as above. Once your design is finilized, any changes you'd want after that would incur fees.

However if you have a dynamic design, then you can change this on the fly since all the "lot markers" that you place are calculated versus the maximum allowed. So you can at any time remove a village lot marker to place 4 row lot markers.

Just need to point out that "keep deeds" will not be available for in game gold.

There will be Row deeds, Village deeds, Town deeds and City deeds available in game. Also once we go live these will not be available anywhere from a vendor for gold, please check out the initial thoughts:
    https://www.kickstarter.com/project...of-the-avatar-forsaken-virtues-0/posts/434752
    Not much has changed in the message we receive from the devs, so expect things to be something along those lines. Which means it will be really hard, lucky and/or expensive in gold to get one.

Keep deeds and Castle deeds however are unique to pledging and will not become available during Episode 1 through any other means, with the exception of purchasing it from another player.

Also note that Keep lots are massive... It is the equivalent of 8 village deeds IIRC.

Another note is that the largest placeable house/home is City sized. So the "only" reason to have a keep deed is to have a yard around your City sized housing.

Again this is the difference between Static design and Dynamic design.
    Static needs to pick and design in advance and once set are....well...static.
    While in a dynamic design you can remove a lot marker at any time and move it or replace it as you see fit, as long as there is a flat surface somewhere to place it on.

Let me know if you want a demo of this in the game.
    They are under implementation. So you can see as many templates ahead of time as you can see once you bought one.
    We POT owners know as little (or much) as anyone else.

For the PaxLair template the community got involved a lot through the efforts of Winfield the governor of PaxLair. However for the other templates the other governors had had much less to say and less to nil input from others. This since the other templates are biome variations of the PaxLair base template.

So for instance right now we know that they are working on some sort of underworld biome template. However no input from the community has been requested, nor any info on who - if any- player(s) are involved.

Expect that to be true for the rest of the template creation.

Last edited: Oct 13, 2015
  7. Spoon

Spoon Avatar

All POT owners have received all maps of all currently implemented biomes in their banks.

So for R22 I had
    forest01
    desert01
    swamp01
    island01
    biome maps in my bank. Screenshots and maps were also available in the updates where they talked about each implementation.
    They were also in the maps that the book vendor was/is selling.

Last edited: Oct 13, 2015
    Duchess Fionwyn and Sir Frank like this.
  8. enderandrew

There are more biomes in the works as well. For example, I think they are working on the underground biome now.

Sir Frank likes this.
  9. Spoon

Spoon Avatar

Yea, I mentioned that in the post above that one.
    "
    So for instance right now we know that they are working on some sort of underworld biome template. However no input from the community has been requested, nor any info on who - if any- player(s) are involved.

Expect that to be true for the rest of the template creation.
    "

So I don't expect any maps or updates until after they are implemented. Which is a big bummer and something which causes unecesary anxiety among POT owners.

Duchess Fionwyn and Sir Frank like this.
  10. Sir Frank

Sir Frank Master of the Mint

It would be nice to have maps and screenshots available in one place outside of game.
    But, I shall have to get in-game and check my vault to see what I can see.

Ah, but it seems to me that forest01, desert01, and swamp01 are all the same template.

Spoon likes this.
  11. Waxillium

Waxillium Avatar

New POTs do not have overland access.

You need to hook it up to an NPC town or nest it with another POT.

Despite that being clear on the purchase description I don't always know that the clarity makes for understanding. Make sure you are happy with that concept!

Duchess Fionwyn and Jatvardur like this.
  12. Spoon

Spoon Avatar

Fully agreed. I think the plan was to include those in the biome selection user interface on your submission. However that got lost with all the other changes not made to the submission form.

Yes. They are all based on the PaxLair template.

Duchess Fionwyn and Jatvardur like this.
  13. ThurisazSheol

ThurisazSheol Avatar

yeah, mine will *twitch* probably be one of the last implemented - a group of islands, or keys/cays/archipelago, as opposed to the one existing island biome now.

Duchess Fionwyn and Spoon like this.
  14. Solazur

Solazur Avatar

The question at the front of *my* little noggin is....when will new POT's be accessible in game?

The only indication I have about mine is all the pot related stuff in my bank account and of course the line item on my CC bill.

I realize Port doesn't have a huge staff and, I'm impressed with what's been done. That said, I think they could do a bit more to provide just a tad more information. As it stands I kinds og have an IOU that's like saying "hey... we have your $ and one of these days you'll get something for it.

Not all of us are in possession of unlimited resources lol, I know *I* am not! A little courtesy email like.. thanks for your order, you should expect delivery by... _____- would be nice.

Duchess Fionwyn likes this.
  15. Retlaw

Retlaw Avatar

The idea for me is more so some friends and I won't have to worry about land rush because real life gets busy sometimes. Most are Citizen or better pledge level and have lot deeds, but a few need to purchase via in game gold down the road. I'm debating fronting the cash to just have a nice semi-custom spot to live, so looking at a Holdfast. I don't mind being attached to a NPC town, but wouldn't want to depend on another POT for access (no offence to anyone).

BTW: Thanks Spoon and everyone for the info, slightly clearer mud now :D

Atogrim and Kvow like this.
  16. Spoon

Spoon Avatar

Just in case here...
    You need to access the POT Submission Form from clicking the POT link on your Account page. Once you have submitted that they usually place you as a dynamic on the map within two releases...
    You can see this process outlined in the weekly updates when there is a release.

17. enderandrew

Are they allowing POTs to tie into NPC towns? That sounds odd.

18. Waxillium

Waxillium Avatar

No offence taken. Its why I wrote NPC before POT.

19. Waxillium

Waxillium Avatar

"Player Owned Towns with Town-to-TownAccess are Still Available

Due to Overland map town density issues, we limited the number of Player Owned Towns (PoTs) with Overland map access rights to 230 total. The only PoTs currently available for purchase are those that must connect to another PoT with Overland map access, or to an NPC town."

Right off the purchase page.

20. unicornslady

unicornslady Avatar

Yes they are. There is a POT covered wagon entrance just to your right after you enter Ardoris from the main entrance and another POT covered wagon entrance just after you enter Lochfield (it was in the middle of the road the other day when I was there).

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.