Dismiss Notice
This Section is READ ONLY - All Posts Are Archived

Problems with Stanley the Guard in Soltown

Discussion in 'Release 26 Dev+' started by Vyrin, Jan 24, 2016.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Vyrin

Vyrin Avatar

1) Stanley uses the British spelling for "traveller" too, just like Abigail and I'm sure others. Not so bad, but all spelling should be consistent American or British style.

2) Stanley says this after you provide your name, "If not feel free to correct me by telling me "my name is..."." This is a direction best left for a tutorial, not something a character would really say unless they are crossing the fourth wall. Also, does not jive with the "no handholding" design of the game.

3) In the response to help, the if clause at the very end needs a comma.

Currently: "Finally, if you are headed for Ardoris I could use a courier." Comma required after Ardoris.

4) In the response to Annika: "she's working night and day now trying to keep the guard and anyone else who needs supplied with arms and armor."

Needs has no object so it sounds a little off. In fact, it sounds like "supplied" could be "supplies" until you hit the preposition. Anyway, "in need" would be a little smoother, or perhaps, "who may need to fight".

5) In the response to courier: "If you are travelling to Ardoris soon, I have some notes for the Captain of the Guard there..."

Guard is underlined, but leads to the description of Stanley as guard captain, "The guards under my command..." I simply would not have Guard highlighted for the response to courier.

And again note the British-style spelling for travelling.

2. niteowl57

niteowl57 Avatar

I have a few alternatives to offer:

She's working night and day now trying to keep the guard, and anyone else who needs it, supplied with arms and armor.

She’s working day and night now to meet the high demand for arms and armor from the guard and other fighters.

The demand for arms and armor is so high that she's now working day and night to supply not only the guard, but others as well.

The guard and other fighters have created such a high demand for arms and armor that she is now working day and night trying to supply all that is needed.​

I rather like the last one, so I'll stop there :)

Vyrin likes this.
  3. Lum the Mad

Lum the Mad Developer Emeritus Dev Emeritus

1) Thank you for your feedback on this. "Traveller" is also an alternate US spelling, as well as elsewhere in the Solomani sphere.

[​IMG]

2) Soltown is considered part of the tutorial experience.

3, 4) Thanks, changed.

5) This is an artifact of how we do keyword highlighting. We do not flag each word for highlighting individually but programatically. I've changed the dialog so it doesn't flag as a non-sequitor.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.