Procedurally Generated Dungeons

Discussion in 'Archived Topics' started by Bom, Oct 4, 2016.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. yarnevk

yarnevk Avatar

Did they ever release their dungeon tilesets to Dev+ download? I know that is what enticed me to pledge at that level thinking that someone could write one, and maybe it could then get folded back into the game.

For those looking for an infinite procedural RPG check out Malevolence

http://store.steampowered.com/app/268930/

Indy early access written by one guy so is taking years to finish. Everything in the world is procedural, with discoveries shared online. He just released the procedural magic update.

If you did not like old school dungeon crawlers then that is not the game for you.

Kabalyero, Bom and Alexander like this.
  2. Alexander

Alexander Avatar

I'm all for this +1

Bom likes this.
  3. LoneStranger

LoneStranger Avatar

Bubonic and Bom like this.
  4. WrathPhoenix

WrathPhoenix Avatar

I am all for this. And in fact, I know that @Chris is actually really big on procedurally generated content as well. So there's definitely a possibility in the future. I'd be in support of dungeons, wilderness areas, quests, whatever - am a big fan on procgen!

Bom, moko and Jack Knyfe like this.
  5. Nadomir

Nadomir Avatar

this would be really cool... sure, this isn't Diablo, but still, I would love to see something like that.

Bom likes this.
  6. Raistlyn

Raistlyn Avatar

This is a great idea. In general support anything in the game that is more random and unpredictable.

Bom likes this.
  7. Hemswal The Descended

Hemswal The Descended Avatar

I'd like this million times if I could.

Bom likes this.
  8. By Tor

By Tor Avatar

I'm all for it. I had brought up very early on in the forums that I was hoping to see randomly generated scenes on the overland map with the exception of NPC areas. Since that didn't happen - I'd love to see some randomly generated dungeons!

9. Belladonna Rose

Belladonna Rose Bug Hunter

Good ideas. This would be fun.

10. Mugly Wumple

Mugly Wumple Avatar

The first time this was mentioned the reason given for not using procedurally generated content was that it can often result in layouts that do not have sufficient quality. This answer was for scene layout in general, iirc. That was way back in 2014 (2013?) and things may have changed. As well, this suggestion is for a type of dungeon, not game layout in general so it may be something we eventually see.

Note that this was a long time ago and my memory may not be correct.

11. By Tor

By Tor Avatar

Pretty sure it was '13 when the idea was first proposed. It was before there was a playable overland map and it may have been before they had even put out a release yet.

But hey, if they can throw us a few randomly generated dungeons, I'll be one happy Avatar.

Edit: it was when they were considering having each hex on the map a playable scene.

Last edited: Oct 25, 2016
    Matt Harris likes this.
  12. Stundorn

Stundorn Avatar

sorry for necromancy - someone pointed at this and i need to agree that it would be very, very, very, very, very cool to have that :)

Katrina Bekers and LoneStranger like this.
  13. Hemswal The Descended

Hemswal The Descended Avatar

+100000000000000000000000000000000000

14. zerothis

zerothis Avatar

This need not be as complicated as it sounds. Pick a shape or a few shapes (hexagon, square, triangle, octagon, hexagon-triangle, square-octagon). Slice and shape current dungeon elements into standard sizes based on shapes chosen and modify them to have a standard edges. Dungeons already have mostly square elements and this is adequate. However, complex tiling of many different shapes is not unfeasible, as long as we are taking about a two-dimensional layout (stacking two-dimensional layouts included). Much of this has already been done judging by the look of many dungeons in the game. Categorize each element. Create a set of rules as to all the possible ways the elements of which category could connect (Edge A can connect with edge A or two B edges or be blocked. Ice elements cannot connect to jungle elements. etc.). Generate a 'room' from these elements and rules in an algorithm that checks the tiling to make sure it physically fits together and runs a pathfinder to ensure there are no inaccessible/one-way accessible areas. Make more rooms and connect them. Create special set pieces designed to overlap multiple 'open floor' elements. Run an algorithm to place these again checking if it fits and doesn't block paths. Run an algorithm to mark paths (place a series of lamps, paint a path with a theme, lay mine cart track, etc.)

Bom and By Tor like this.
  15. LoneStranger

LoneStranger Avatar

I'm certain by now there are already Unity-based random dungeon generation scripts that would satisfy the game requirements.

Bom and By Tor like this.
  16. Rowell

Rowell Avatar

The Unity Asset Store has at least half a dozen procedural dungeon generators. In regards to multi-player, when a party enters the same dungeon, have the generator create the dungeon using the same seed number (so all party members are in the same dungeon). You can limit the number assets being used in a dungeon by pre-determining the assets used. It really should not be too difficult to get a mock up created, then perfected over the course of a few months.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.