Production Kits for crafters and consumers

Discussion in 'General Discussion' started by Winfield, Jul 21, 2014.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Winfield

Winfield Legend of the Hearth

I imagine this idea has come up. Yet, I lend a hand with a draft SotAWiki.Net page defining the following:

"A production kit is a package of crafted items that are provided to consumers then assembled or placed in or on a house lot. The production kit is documented for the crafters on what to make. The kit is also documented with how the end product is assembled or placed by the consumer. Anyone may make a production kit for themselves as the crafter and the consumer. Consumers may browse a crafting company's offered production kits, availability, and pricing. Various towns and companies may have production kits on display for people to visit and see."​

Draft Production Kit wiki page here.

So if someone doesn't have time or skill to make a Theatrical Stage, or a nice dining room table with all the trimmings, they could hire a crafting company to craft and build / deliver it for them.

So if you want to have the following item put in your back yard at your house, you would order the Theatrical Stage production kit from someone:

[​IMG]
    Production Kit Stage Type 1​

The crafting company needs these raw materials:

Flax Fiber 270
    Wood 152
    Iron Ore 12
    Gold 860

And needs to produce or purchase the following items:

Sturdy Table 16
    Sturdy Bench 34
    Big Rug 3
    Iron Lantern 12
    Tall Brazier 2
    Low Brazier 2
    Wooden Storage Chest 1

With the following instructions to assemble the kit by the company or consumer:
    1. Place 16 tables in a 4 x 4 manner against the back wall of the building or room. Ensure the tables are exactly aligned with minimum spacing.
    2. Place 4 benches in a 2 x 2 manner on either end of the stage so people may step onto the stage easily.
    3. Place the three Big Rugs. One perpendicular to the middle of the front of the stage extending back into the audience area. Two parallel to the front of the stage butted up against the middle perpendicular rug.
    4. Place the first row of audience benches with 2 on the left and right sides behind the parallel rugs and next to the middle rug allowing sufficient space to walk on the rugs.
    5. Place the second row of audience benches with 2 on the left and right sides behind first row and next to the middle rug allowing sufficient space to walk on the rug and between the rows of benches.
    6. Place the third row of audience benches with 2 on the left and right sides behind second row and next to the middle rug allowing sufficient space to walk on the rug and between the rows of benches.
    7. Place one bench at the end of each audience row - 3 on left and 3 on right - at 30 degree angles facing the stage.
    8. Place two low braziers - one on either side of the front of the stage about one bench length away.
    9. Place two high braziers - on on either side of the rear of the stage about 1/2 bench length away.
    10. Place 12 iron lanterns around the perimeter of the stage - At the corners of the stage (4), at the intersections of the tables on the front and rear edges (3 each), and on the left and right sides in the middle intersection (1 each).
    What do you think? Where has this idea already been introduced and explored? Where are production kits being defined?

Should I and others continue to defined Production Kits and place them on the SotAWiki.net system?

Thanks!

Mata, VonXakk, licemeat and 6 others like this.
  2. DavenRock

DavenRock Avatar

Can we bump this thread into Dev replied :D? I second this idea, and at the very least we should be given the ability to draw templates of some kind in-game for these types of displays. I remember making elaborate aquariums out of seawreck items and multi-colored cloths such in Ultima Online. This could be a great way to bring that back and truly build upon the meaning of sandbox.

Lord Lonn, Winfield, VonXakk and 3 others like this.
  3. Jivalax Azon

Jivalax Azon Avatar

I love the idea. I would like to see some reference material for these type of complex items, and the variants that will evolve. Great idea. Could easily be divided into sections such as home decor, yard decor, guild decor etc.

Aside from the raw idea, great stage design! I look forward to seeing other things like this.

4. By Tor

By Tor Avatar

Brilliant!

SotA is about baking bread..and making stages. This is what this game is all about.

5. Gretchelle

Gretchelle Avatar

That is a clever idea. It's just like filling out those crafting deeds in UO except several steps beyond. Perhaps a diagram or blue print of the final layout instead of it being worded. And after successfully completing the task, everything placed highlights with a magical glow and sound/music effect, only to dissipate. From there you could receive your reward. The reason I mention all placed objects disappear is to prevent world clutter an lag.

Winfield and Jivalax Azon like this.
  6. Winfield

Winfield Legend of the Hearth

Thanks for the feedback! Yes, I think some drawings will help for the final assembly. One challenge or goal is doing this completely in game. The SotAWiki.net is more for reference. In the game could be display/show rooms. A player book could provide all the instructions. NPC Vendors could sell the completely crafted production kits with instructions (some assembly required), or the complete material for the kit with instructions (some crafting and assembly required) at different prices.

I suspect a few of these designs will change, like the stage. Tables are not the best platform for a stage as only a few things can be placed on tables. I know there is Dev interest that was discussed during R7 to make craftable blocks of various sizes and shapes that connect together better.

As for world clutter and lag, people will decorate inside and outside their houses anyway. The goal for these production kits is not to craft something and receive a reward (yet that is an interesting idea that would require game development). It's to provide a service to others who don't have time or abilities to make these arrangements. Essentially, it's part of the economy of supply and demand.

A UO crafting BOD system is a nice idea too (already considered for SotA?) where a crafter fills an "order" of many items, then gives it to an NPC to get colored paint or something.

Thanks again for the feedback! We'll test a few things in R8 and beyond.

DavenRock [MGT] and Jivalax Azon like this.
  7. DavenRock

DavenRock Avatar

I think what would be great about the BODs in this scenario is that you should be able to craft the items, and then after being placed in the deed, you should be able to place the entire stage, chairs and all as one group. Although it would take some more development. This is great!

Winfield likes this.
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.