PRT=Portalarium Run Town

Discussion in 'General Discussion' started by Fain, Aug 15, 2016.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Fain

Fain Avatar

Let's start referring to PRTs as Portalarium Run Towns. The revolution begins now!

Mykll, Kaisa, Xandra7 and 7 others like this.
  2. Fain

Fain Avatar

PRTs aren't player generated at all. They are overflow towns. The confusion is that people don't see the difference between PRTs and POTs.

They should have never been called Player Run Towns to begin with. They aren't run by players, they aren't governed by players, they have nothing to do with players. They are non-quest location towns run by Portalarium. Personally, I think Portaliarium Run Towns is more accurate and better describes the location. That's fine if you disagree with me.

At the end of the day, a normal player not affiliated with a guild or group has some trepidation towards joining a POT. Why risk you're placement slot on a location where th governor may stop playing, get in an argument with you and boot you out, etc. PRTs are a valid alternative but people think that they are run by players (hence the many topics and confusion about them) and they don't think their lots are secure. That's not true.

Mykll, Xandra7, Elwyn and 4 others like this.
  3. Sargon

Sargon Avatar

I don't understand why they weren't just called Non-Story Towns.

Story Towns, Non-Story Towns, and Player-Owned Towns... That seems simple enough.

Kaisa, Net, Elwyn and 6 others like this.
  4. Fain

Fain Avatar

I totally agree Sargon. Or just name them all NPC towns and not every NPC town has story elements right now. Maybe if the community grows they can be included in future episodes.

5. Lazlo

Lazlo Avatar

I think what they look like is a lot more important than what they're called. NPC towns have big yellow banners and unique graphics. PRTs look just like POTs unless you're really paying attention and know what to look for. I played for quite a while before I had any idea that PRTs were even a thing. There was just NPC towns and everything else.

6. Roycestein Kaelstrom

Roycestein Kaelstrom Avatar

It was supposed to be "player-ran town" in a sense that players were responsible to supply vendors themselves. They existed before they considered the concepts of POT.

As others have said. Now they are just NPC towns without storyline. Once the world builders get around working on them, they should all have crafting stations, a banker, a town crier, and some vendors if they don't already have those.

7. Fionwyn Wyldemane

Fionwyn Wyldemane Avatar

Residential Town Only
    Quest Hub Town
    Player Owned Towm

8. Barugon

Barugon Avatar

Someone suggested before: Player Residential Town.

Elwyn and Katrina Bekers like this.
  9. redfish

redfish Avatar

Bahhh we need RP-friendly terminology :|

Duchess Fionwyn likes this.
  10. Fionwyn Wyldemane

Fionwyn Wyldemane Avatar

Yes, I know. I was giving a variation that clearly distinguishes that it is not a quest hub. :) Why do we even need the word *player*? Who else is going to live there? Kobolds? LOL :p

Lord Barugon likes this.
  11. Spoon

Spoon Avatar

Duchess Fionwyn likes this.
  12. Fionwyn Wyldemane

Fionwyn Wyldemane Avatar

@Spoon how the heck do you remember where the threads are! I recall that discussion...lol. Lots of good suggestions!

13. Belladonna Rose

Belladonna Rose Bug Hunter

I dont care what they call them they just need to be more developed. There are several that have nothing in them but a Town Crier and banker. If they are run by Port then they need to set them up like the npc towns at least. Yeah no story content but at least put some npc vendors in there like a town should have. I mean gotta do something to make people want to live there other than just grabbing a lot. Whats the point if you still have to run to a bigger town to buy things you need. I personally want to live in one but i feel there needs to be something there to be more of draw for people to move/live there. Even if its just a few essential vendors like merchant and crafter vendor. Just my opinion though.

14. Grave Dragon

Grave Dragon Avatar

PRTs are not run by portalarium. These are towns that do not have a Player Owner but are ran by each of the players who own a lot within the scene and each is an equally contributing member of the town as a whole.

That means while there are a few basic NPC services, the majority of convienence and service is created organically by players settling within the scene and providing service from their own lots. One player would assume the role of reagent merchant, one as a carpenter selling home deco, one as a market reselling fruit, cooking supplies etc found off NPC merchants in major cities etc.

It is based on the concept of a player town in UO where a group of players would cluster home's and label it a town with a name of their choosing. Ideally, each resident of the scene would look at the outstanding needs of the scene and try to fill the gap by providing that service in order to contribute to the local community. For this reason, PRTs do not need to be expanded upon.

The best word to describe these scenes in my opinion would be as a "settlement", but Player Run Town is appropriate albeit confusing to a degree.

Last edited: Aug 16, 2016
    Celthon likes this.
  15. Celthon

Celthon Avatar

Very good description, to help late-comers to the game understand the thinking behind the lack of development in PRT's. Threads like this one and a cpl. of others discussing the "Player Run Town" label started, I believe, because newcomers see "Player Run" while looking for a lot and mistakenly think that the town functions similar to a POT in that a "Player" runs the town and can evict them and/or control other aspects of their game play, such as a Governor does in a POT...the degree of confusion caused by the term "Player Run" is evident in how many threads and questions there are by Avatars on the Forum.

Since so many people are referred to http://sotamap.com/ when they post on the Forum asking for suggestions re: "Where should I live...", etc., perhaps the change in terminology should begin there? Can a group effort be made to help go through the map and change the "Player Run Town" label to something less confusing, or is there only one person who does that sort of editing on the map? Irregardless, it is a lot of labels to be changed...

Hopefully threads like this one will help, but in on-line gaming for every person who posts a question on a game's forum there are many others who don't use the forums for whatever reason. They may be referred to the map by someone in-game, or through some other source, and never see threads like this, where the difference between POT and PRT is explained.

Last edited: Aug 16, 2016
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.