1. Here you will find official announcements and updates. These announcements are also linked in the Official SotA Discord server.
    We encourage comments from the community! To keep the announcements official, we ask that comment threads be created in the General forums for player input.

Thanks!

PVP & Death: Current Thinking Megapost

Discussion in 'Announcements' started by DarkStarr, Mar 6, 2014.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Ristra

Ristra Avatar

And I agree, that is the reason Marines pack their packs the same, doesn't matter who's gear you grab, ammo, chow, water, everything is in the same place. However, that's on a militant level. Having items in game that allow for personal flare, that take getting used to, does not break the ability to be capable of be combat ready with similar items.

Bodhbh Dearg likes this.
  2. Owain

Owain Avatar

Maybe so, but as a general rule, I'd still prefer PvP skill buffs rather than PvP gear, for all the reasons given above, plus I think it's more realistic. We'll see if the devs will change their minds. I'm not optimistic.

3. Ristra

Ristra Avatar

I haven't been diligent with reading the PvP gear comments from the Devs lately, but from what I gathered was it's not a gear escalation it's a gear variance. Just as the mage wears the robes and a warrior wears the plate armor, both use their protection (or the mobility from the lack of) to their advantage. Something PvP oriented will be present on PvP gear but doesn't remove the normal value of the gear. That could be me being optimistic, as usual.

Bodhbh Dearg likes this.
  4. StrangerDiamond

StrangerDiamond Avatar

Guys *massages head* this...

you guys realise how this all sounds right... imagine the roleplay scenes that make you grind your teeth and the trolls you are attracting with open pvp zones without any support structure within social dynamics, and consequences... you cannot depend on "godly forces" to rule your system every player has choice, it really feels like I will have to explain this... we need a long term vision that includes "old school" properly.

for you all I manifest through a thin veil... please we are better than this we are all here cause we loved Ultimas and roleplaying games lets just be patient and not repeat the stratics mode of forum branding...

pun intended !

Bodhbh Dearg likes this.
  5. Akeashar

Akeashar Avatar

Oops. Wrong button. :3 But here we go:

They've already stated that there is going to be one set of gear, and that you'll be able to put both PvP and PvE enchantments on it, that was an elaboration by the Devs a short way into the PvP & Death Megapost. As such, PvP enchantments should solely be for use against other Avatars, and PvE enchantments for the environment.

How I'm interpreting what you're asking for, and I'm sure you're not aware of it, is basically re-enacting the concept that began in WoW and spread into other MMOs of PvP being the 'ezy path to victory'. What would stop a player from taking the path of least resistance, getting the cheap PvP enchant, then waiting in PvE mode until they're about to go fight the content, toggling the Oracle quest to get flagged and then hopping into either FPO or SPO? As far as we're aware, the only time PvP flagged players are forced into OPO is during one of the PvP event hexes. They've then circumvented the enchanter's more profitable enchantment, which would be the pure PvE one, to get the cheap one with an exploitable toggle.

Best just leave it to having the two completely separate schools of enchants and being able to hit up your gear with both at the same time. If you're concerned that you'll keep losing the gear with the enchants upon it, then thats the reason for having a restricted loot system.

Bodhbh Dearg likes this.
  6. Halvard

Halvard Avatar

Toggling for pvp will have a cooldown before taking effect this has already been stated (im hoping its a long one, 1hour +(both ways)) I also think that they said you wouldn't be able to toggle for pvp if you're in single or friend mode. Anyhow these are the first issues that come to mind so I'm sure the devs have a good solution for them all.

Sent from my GT-I9505 using Tapatalk

Ragnabrock and Bodhbh Dearg like this.
  7. Henry Morgan

Henry Morgan Avatar

It's not about more of less targets, it's about overall design of the gaming world, trying to appeal to dynamically opposed groups will satisfy neither.

8. Bodhbh Dearg

Bodhbh Dearg Avatar

But separating them on to different servers will never entice PvE players to try PvP either...

Time Lord and Ragnabrock like this.
  9. Dhimmi

Dhimmi Avatar

very true and it would drive up costs also ...

10. docdoom77

docdoom77 Avatar

I'm not promoting gear based effectiveness at all, but I do think the attunement idea has a great deal of merit. Don't forget that we're not dealing with mass produced M16s, which while each has their own little quirks, are basically the same; interchangeable even. No, we're dealing with individually crafted arms and armor. Each balanced differently, each fitted differently. I imagine, a medieval man-at-arms who has spent years adjusting and re-adjusting the same armor is much more effective in it than one who has to scavenge something or 'break-in' a new set. Each sword can be wildly different than the next, in shape, length, weight, grip and balance. It's a very different situation to the marine example.

Just food for thought.

Ragnabrock and Bodhbh Dearg like this.
  11. Henry Morgan

Henry Morgan Avatar

To be completely honest, I don't care, not my problem as I won't care what happens on normal server types. Either they'll offer a server type that will appeal to me or they won't, that's up to them to decide. That's just a fact, I'm not even interested enough to read the thread.

12. Bodhbh Dearg

Bodhbh Dearg Avatar

Bye bye then! Don't get hit by the closing door on your way out! :D

Time Lord and Henry Morgan like this.
  13. Henry Morgan

Henry Morgan Avatar

Game isn't out yet, at the end of the day my opinion has been clearly stated. It's not my decision to take, but I love your post.

14. Bodhbh Dearg

Bodhbh Dearg Avatar

I hope the smilie ( :D ) at the end was sufficient sign I was kidding! Hope you're not offended! ;)

I mean, you are totally entitled to your opinion, so I would not hold that against you, honestly!

I'd like it (and I am sure there are more like me) if you were willing to participate in the discussion on how to improve the current suggested solution, but if that's not working for you, then my respect for being honest enough to say so... Too bad if after launch we'd ultimately lose a player because of that, but it's your call to make! :cool:

15. Henry Morgan

Henry Morgan Avatar

I don't know why you keep thinking I'm going somewhere. But thanks for validating my decision not to waste time reading 86 pages of something that should be incredibly obvious to everyone.

16. Bodhbh Dearg

Bodhbh Dearg Avatar

I didn't mean right now, but in the case where the final situation was not going to give you a type of server/game you desired or would enjoy playing *at all*... I have adjusted my previous post accordingly! I hope you (and anyone that is interested/invested in SotA BTW) stay with "us" through launch and well beyond, and end up getting a game you can enjoy as much as the next guy (including myself)! :)

(Now let's get back on topic, shall we <G>)

Time Lord and Ragnabrock like this.
  17. Henry Morgan

Henry Morgan Avatar

I haven't strayed from the topic, but quote me again and have the last word if it's making you happy.

acrylic_300 and Bodhbh Dearg like this.
  18. Owain

Owain Avatar

But again, that isn't something unique about the weapon. The weapon itself isn't better. YOU are better. YOU have trained yourself, learned that this rifle consistently aims just a little low and to the left, so you compensate accordingly and gain superior results. Anyone else who pick up that rifle won't get they same results because they haven't trained THEMSELF as well as you have.

With attunement, YOU are the thing being improved, not your weapon.

Hettar, 3devious and Bodhbh Dearg like this.
  19. Owain

Owain Avatar

There are no deadly weapons. There are only deadly people.

Dhailen likes this.
  20. Acrylic 300

Acrylic 300 Avatar

I should have specified that I want OPO to be the only mode that has cheap PvP enabled PvE buffs or enchantments. I would like to play through SPO and then find the replay value in the OPO game. I think the critics will give rave reviews if PvP is a game changer in OPO instead of something that got added in for a PVP tag on the box.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.