PVP defaults and other questions answered ? (Dev) Replied

Discussion in 'PvP Gameplay' started by Baron Elvish Dragon, Apr 11, 2013.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Owain

Owain Avatar

I think friends will be able to see friends, and as everything else in SotA, the chance to do so will be by consent. You will be given the opportunity, and it is up to you to accept or reject that opportunity. If that breaks someone's precious immersion, then so be it. All game design involves trade offs, and the benefit to be gained in this case far outweighs the loss of immersion.

You may disagree on that point, but that is up to neither of us. That is up to the dev team, and ultimately, Richard Garriott.

Time Lord likes this.
  2. Praefectus

Praefectus Avatar

Makes sense

3. blaquerogue

blaquerogue Avatar

Im all for revenge if i get ganked on these missions!!

4. blaquerogue

blaquerogue Avatar

Or you can just hire my character to protect you! or i may just go with you to wreak havok on pkrs! either or im game!

5. blaquerogue

blaquerogue Avatar

Also i would like to thank you RG for gettting involved in this topic with us!

6. Umbrae

Umbrae Avatar

Its good to remember that LB's statement was back in July. They have probably been thinking and discussing PVP a lot since them. However, our Liege's comments are always welcome. :)

Time Lord likes this.
  7. Ned888

Ned888 Avatar

The consequences for PvPers is not realistic. You can't discuss realism when addressing this point, it's impossible.

A PvPer kills another player and is flagged as a murderer. They get killed by a guard and their flag disappears or is lessened quite a bit; consequence nullified in seconds. This applies for thieves as well. They either are successful or they get caught killed instantly and start all over again.

There is no real punishment for murder in a game, but in the real world there is. Realism is actually suspended almost completely to ensure that these PvP players can continue to play and enjoy their play style. In a real life, historical setting they would be eliminated. A short drop and a quick stop.

8. Vallo Frostbane

Vallo Frostbane Avatar

This is just not true.
    E.g. several UO freeshards where systems against Reds where implemented or thieving had been very risky because you have to invest money by buying thieve tools which would be lost if you fail...
    For reds there could also be harsh penalties to get rid of the flag in form of gold costs or other stuff...

The systems you mentioned are indeed bad, but it's not like there are no other options available.

And don't compare it to real life. Enough murder was unpunished in history...

9. Owain

Owain Avatar

I think you are very wrong, because otherwise, why are some people so PvP averse? No one wants to die, particualry if there is a Full Loot option. That serves to add a bit of sting.

Regardless, yours is a theory that can be tested in the Alpha/Beta test. If the devs do not include a Recall spell if you are flagged for open PvP, and murderers die like flies, death may well be an effective deterrent to murder.

Time Lord and TemplarAssassin like this.
  10. Ned888

Ned888 Avatar

The victims are the ones who are PvP averse. The PKers seem to all like it... hell, they don't like it, they LOVE it!

Time Lord likes this.
  11. Owain

Owain Avatar

The PKs I killed as an Anti-PK on UO Siege Perilous most definately did not love it. I suspect that if PvP is such on SotA that there are murderers in the game, SotA PKs will definately not love it either.

Again, that is a theory that can be tested in the Alpha/Beta test.

Time Lord likes this.
  12. SmokerKGB

SmokerKGB Avatar

WoW, I almost fled for the hills, but I stayed to listen. What is your defenision of a "new" player? Someone who is level 10, 20, 30 or skills at 50% both of which are not adaquit to defend against "gangs". I consider myself to be a "new" player and I've played these games for years (I'm just not very good at them). I enjoy the adventure, the story line, the Mods give me plenty of challange. I will absolutly not play against another player because there are only two ways to play them, either PKer (first strike) or Victum (defensive). Niether one I find desirable, oh sure you can suger coat them and call them PKer/anti-PKer or PvPer/non-PvPer it's all the same thing. Given an equal fight level 30 against level 30, computer wise they are equals, not taking account for connection speed, hardware or personel reflexes/strategy that's what tips the scales. Or having more guys on your side, gez that's kind of a "no brainer".

UO tried to "intice" me too, and it didn't work for them, why do you think it would be any different now? Even in WoW, players twice my level were always challanging me to duels, what kind of "competition" is that? And for whom?

By "inticing" me to do something I have no desire to do, is not "consentual" at all, it just restricts my play style from areas of the map or resources that will most likely be highly desirable, no thanks, I'll just do without.

I Love the idea of "instancing" everything and I would Love the idea of Player flagging so that each play style can be happy. As long as players can make that choice by their own actions, that would be great. Or a flip of a switch. The slider I don't believe has a Non-PvP Public setting.

Thanks for reading,

13. SmokerKGB

SmokerKGB Avatar

Thanks for sharing this video, it helped me alot to understand SotA and it has convinced me it will satisfy both camps.

14. Praefectus

Praefectus Avatar

You won't see PvP unless you choose to. You Have a option

SmokerKGB likes this.
  15. Vallo Frostbane

Vallo Frostbane Avatar

I am sure they find a way to balance out the issues this brings to economy etc...
    I just hope the no PVP button doesnt become a no challenge at all button. PVE should be hard, with risk vs reward mechanics.
    If they enable a 'brain-dead' farming mode, economy will stall quickly and nothing will be worth anything. Noone wants that I hope.

TemplarAssassin likes this.
  16. TemplarAssassin

TemplarAssassin Avatar

That's been my main concern for some time now.
    Being able to switch freely from PvP to non-PvP..and the market being the same for all players...
    It will be hard for the guys who play only in PvP mode (for the sake of immurshuns) to keep up with the people who farmed dragons on easy mode all day and then went to the Armor&Weapons shop and said "I wanna buy everything! And all the Flamestrike scrolls, too".

17. blaquerogue

blaquerogue Avatar

Hey we should name that water dipper bird and put him in the game as a starting deco! (with animation)! I would sport that on my shelf in the house i dont have yet!

SmokerKGB likes this.
  18. blaquerogue

blaquerogue Avatar

One of the problems ive always run into with companions is that they run off and become dragon fodder, i hted having to click on his toon to tell him to stop or follow, so i hope AI will be better than that.

19. SmokerKGB

SmokerKGB Avatar

Yay, it's called a "Dippy Bird" I think, I seen one years ago and have always wondered how it works, can anyone tell me?... I mean it doesn't really drink water, does it...

20. Jambot

Jambot Avatar

I hesitated some time ago to post this as this is way off topic, but enjoy a nice explanation of the physics behind the dippy bird (with a bonus irish accent) :

Even more off topic, a video I think everyone should see about the theory of relativity :

I also strongly suggest the whole channel and associated channels about chemistry, computer science, mathematics, etc...

Enjoy ;)

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.