PVP IDEA I THOUGHT OF

Discussion in 'PvP Gameplay' started by Bubblewrath, Oct 17, 2013.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. NirAntae

NirAntae Avatar

No, the biggest argument is: let everyone play the game they want to play, don't force your ideals on them... you wouldn't enjoy the game if PvP were removed entirely because there is a subset of people who don't want PvP at all... why make them not enjoy the game because you and another subset of players want PvP all the time? It goes both ways.

I don't want my game disrupted because someone feels like getting his jollies off by disrupting my game. I don't even like PvE combat much, I certainly don't want to be another player's random victim, whether I am capable of defending myself or not. I enjoy having other people to play WITH, not against.

2. Bubblewrath

Bubblewrath Avatar

No, the biggest argument is: let everyone play the game they want to play, don't force your ideals on them. -- I have yet to see anything about the pvp other then something about a slider, I sure hope there is more then that because that will lead to a world of warcraft battleground type of pvp system. It has to have some type of reward to it. Leaderboard's or something because eventually even the pvp people will get burnt out because it will be pointless. Some other idea's, faction vs faction, guild vs guild *control territories but they have to declar war before anyone in guild can be attacked/attack the other guild*. Just a slider bar, while it may be fun at time's won't cut it for the vast majority of pvper's, I know because those are the only game's I have played.

3. Bubblewrath

Bubblewrath Avatar

Mordecai thanks, I don't feel shutdown I actually figured it was gonna go that way lol.

4. Bubblewrath

Bubblewrath Avatar

Mordecai Nashville? I work in nashville.

5. CaptainJackSparrow

CaptainJackSparrow Avatar

Bubblewrath.

This game's engine appears to be very limited in the number of people(word of mouth is about 50 players max in your world) it will connect to by design. This to me would seem to ensure that when everyone selects the type of game they wish to play, be it PvP or no-PvP, you will be connected to a world of players who also share your love of that type of play style. Whatever it is.

So if we want to attack anything, don't attack PvP / RP playstyles, as we are all currently going to get pretty much what we want from the PvP slider bar. Attack the idea that we'll only ever be able to encounter 50 people. Because that more than anything else I have heard thus far will be limiting the number of targets I can... Say hello to :p

NirAntae and Bubblewrath like this.
  6. Bubblewrath

Bubblewrath Avatar

That is great for the open world feel CaptainJackSparr. I'm hoping they also add some faction vs faction and guild vs guild in as well, if they do that it won't be that bad and probally a fun outlook.

7. CaptainJackSparrow

From my limited understanding, getting into this late, the Kickstarter stretch goal for Guilds was met. There is quite a bit of guild speak on this forum, so I must assume that guilds are a go and if guilds are a go then they must find a way to work combat between them.

8. MalakBrightpalm

MalakBrightpalm Avatar

And to repeat yet another point made elsewhere, Bubble, it's not like something has changed. It's not {[NOW]} that I won't encounter them, I was NEVER going to encounter them. I look at mandatory PvP games and say "Meh, maybe when I was in junior college doing nothing but soaking up my parent's money and had all the time in the world I mighta tried that, but not now, I got work in the morning." Yes, that's just me. E.G. my opinion, expressed by me, in regards to my feelings vis a vis forced PvP in a video game. I feel no regret or loss what so ever. If a game has optional PvP, I may or may not try the game based on it's other merits, and if I do try it I'll probably try the PvP. If it compels PvP, I never touch it.

Silent Strider and NirAntae like this.
  9. CaptainJackSparrow

Guys I'm just going to put this out there. I believe what Bubble was speaking of was within the confines of the PvP slider.

I do not believe he ment to suggest that everyone be forced into PvP for his idea. I believe his idea was simply that, an idea for PvP players who whave selected PvP.

It is important to understand the difference. Bubble please confirm that and possibly edit your OP to include information to support one of the two things, 1 - for PvP players in PvP only or 2 - yeah you want to force everyone into PvP no matter what(which I dont think you were saying...)

10. NirAntae

NirAntae Avatar

It wasn't at all what the suggestion sounded like, in fact he made it pretty clear he was referring to a way of not separating PvPers from non-PvPers. However, a system like that within the open-PvP end of the "slider", I think is actually a wonderful idea. It would encourage people that otherwise might not be willing to set themselves to the PvP side to try it out, knowing they could call on defenders/allies if they get attacked by someone out of their league.

11. Bubblewrath

Bubblewrath Avatar

MalakBrightpalm I just posted about it, something I read, if it's true I'm taking this game off my bookmark and have wasted so much time on this forum. If that's what they call pvp.... wow

12. MalakBrightpalm

MalakBrightpalm Avatar

@CaptainJackSparrow The emphasis is mine, just so we are clear.

Doesn't look to me like the slider was anywhere in that. Doesn't seem like anyone was selecting any particular PvP setting. Just sayin'.

13. CaptainJackSparrow

No, the slider was not anywhere in that. Not everyone is as famliar with the slider as people here have been for a while.

Also what wasn't in there was anyting about forcing OPO full loot on all players. :) Granted I am reading between the lines, and assuming our buddy Bubble actually meant within the confines of PvP, can we do this: his suggestion. On top of that I think he also meant it as an idea to get people who are on the fence about PvP to give it a go, can't fault anyone for ideas there.

I could be wrong... But I hope not.

14. Bubblewrath

Bubblewrath Avatar

How do I even delete it

15. Bubblewrath

Bubblewrath Avatar

Nevermind, it's deleted

16. CaptainJackSparrow

awesome, thank you, deleted mine also.

Bubblewrath likes this.
  17. Maximus Katse

Maximus Katse Avatar

I think it's kind of unfair to the PvP player...why should they have to always risk (and my guess that they would be almost always) being outnumbered? I know if I was in the position I'd join the defender every time just for being interrupted. It would take a level of opportunism right out of the game.

There will always be complaints no matter what - like you said - can't please everyone. Credit for new ideas nonetheless.

Bubblewrath likes this.
  18. AuroraWR

AuroraWR Avatar

First, I like that Bubblewrath is trying to think out of the box and bring people together. That said...

These two statements lead me to believe Bubble's intent is not have the slider so that there is only one open world without separation of PVE and PVP people. I'm responding with this assumption. If I am wrong, I'd ask that Bubble please let me know. :)

Remember: You are asking Non-PVPers to go from a world they would never encounter an attack to a world where they might. If, say, Polarium had not promised no non-consentual PVP and you proposed this I think they would, in fact, be drooling over the idea. However, you are incorporating more attacking, not less, so there isn't anything to drool over as it's getting worse from the PVE perspective, not better.

This only works if...
    1. There are defenders online.
    2. The defender is in the same instance as the victum.
    3. The attacker is singular, not a group.
    I suspect the attackers/griefers will a. sometimes win and b. get wise and form groups that will thusly outnumber the defender and, again, win. Groups provides the added problem of some people attacking the defender while others kill the PVE victum. Which would be non-consentual PvP.

Also, as stated by many people, being attacked at all by a PC is not acceptable to some in their game play. They would just go retreat to FPO or SPO mode.. or stop playing. This would not, as your intent implies, bring PvP and PvE folks together, as those people would still not be around in the world.

Again - I'm glad to see new ideas and thinking outside the box. However, I think if you're dead set on trying to find a solution to separating (by instancting and 'slider options') players that some more brainstorming is required, keeping what everyone has said here in mind.

Bubblewrath and MalakBrightpalm like this.
  19. MalakBrightpalm

MalakBrightpalm Avatar

If ya go back and look, jack, you will see that I highlighted the part where he said open world ONLY, and called it PERFECT which suggests that no alternative is needed. I have also noted many people ask Bubblewrath to clarify this point, and I haven't seen him do so. I wouldn't be surprised to see him withdraw that suggestion, but what I see him starting this thread with is yet another suggestion that we all suck it up and live in a forced open PvP world with full loot. That is what drew all the fire. It's what's drawn it every time. The sad thing is that the whole process is pointless. Personally I'm just gonna take every call for it from now on as hot air. Portalarium has stated clearly, repeatedly, that there will be no forced non-consensual PvP. Open world / full loot isn't going to happen EXCEPT as an opt in. Getting it as a compulsory mode just isn't gonna happen.

20. Bubblewrath

Bubblewrath Avatar

Sorry it's been awhile was just able to get online. Yes, Malak is right that was my suggestion in my post. Open world, pvp, pver's don't have to fight if they want to and actually have the option to participate and cause odd's against the attacker's. So basically, if someone attacked a pve person and they chose to fight instead of flee, it would be 2v1, if they fleed it would be a 1v1 fight. Was just a idea, feel free to throw out suggestion's to make it better.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.