PvP Protection Potion

Discussion in 'Archived Topics' started by Stundorn, Jan 28, 2017.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Stundorn

Stundorn Avatar

I want a Potion craftable to be protected while visiting pvp only scenes.
    Make them fully consensual PvP!

Fits the lore, make PvE and Crafting neccessary to avoid PvP!

-> fully consensual PvP and no more need to lock people out of content (scenes) who dont want to pvp.

For Bloodbay you cannot use anything pvp related in this scene if protected.

iansmellios and Duke Gréagóir like this.
  2. Umuri

Umuri Avatar

I'm actually pretty pro consensual pvp, but I feel you're missing one of the biggest aspects of being able to enter "pvp" only scenes while immune.

You can scout.
    You can do quests without the risk (pvp quest zones are going to be hard to do).

So I think that this would be disproportionate.

Sara Dreygon and Gix like this.
  3. Drocis the Devious

Drocis the Devious Avatar

Honestly, if you want to be within the lore, just hire some players to protect you.

If you walk into a pvp scene with two or three bodyguards, you won't have to fight anything. People will avoid you as you go on your grand tour.

Sara Dreygon likes this.
  4. Stundorn

Stundorn Avatar

Questing can be controlled to be not available, but i see the point of scouting.

But i guess even if Bloodbay is double in size it still has fixed entrances and there is not a big deal or use of scouting.

Lets think over.
    Group 1 is pk and already in.
    G2 is anti pk and want to fight pk.
    What would scouting help them?

Lets say someone is chasing another one.
    He can be scouted and reported as the scout doesnt have any risk.
    This is an issue, but it's not as big for a Instanced game and pvp as the other Faktor of locking out people is.

5. Stundorn

Stundorn Avatar

No force to group is wanted by a lot of players.
    I just want wandering around, investigating Shards and want to protected myself without depending on others.
    I bet after what i write on the forums, some will kill me, nevertheless what Bodyguards i have just to give me a lesson (what i dont need to)

I dont see real scouting needed because of Instanced zones. This is no real open world sandbox where you need to scout your enemy

6. Drocis the Devious

Drocis the Devious Avatar

The same argument was made by people years ago, and the result was that people farmed the hell out of Shardfalls in single player mode. But even if you had a magic potion that just let you explore a scene without gathering resources, that's part of the allure of the Shardfalls, for you it may never matter but for others it may just be what gets them to enter and explore not only the scene but the conflict within.

It's not all about you. It's about getting as many people as possible to at least TRY pvp.

Well I can assure you it's still an advantage in our game.

If someone could enter a Shardfall or Blood Bay and be invulnerable, they could find all the players that were there, determine who was the weakest or alone and then have friends teleport to them for an easy kill. That's just one of many use cases where this would be a horrible idea from a competitive standpoint.

7. Gideon Thrax

Gideon Thrax Avatar

Blood Bay is not for looky-loos. Come ready or don't come.

That said - come on over - I'll show you around :)

Audacity likes this.
  8. Stundorn

Stundorn Avatar

Well not ready yet, you both @Duke Avery and @Baron Drocis Fondorlatos seem to understand me sometimes as I often understand your statements. if BDF say scouting is important, I believe it.
    Sad I thought this is maybe a way to let people investigate PvP only zones without to flag.
    And it would be a nice way to make it feel more consensual as you can circumvent it.
    Potions of course need to be hard to craft, maybe you need GM Alchemy first and rare mats.

I will PvP for sure, but not yet.
    I am not willing to PvP in lumps or micromanage my stacks, if someone kills me he should have loot ;)

I 'm going for PvP when I can survive better and build up some restock.

Man, I'm dying in T4 zones if there are many archers and mages, why I should PvP if I know I am not more like a squirrel or a rabbit on the wrong place in the false time.

9. Browncoat Jayson

Browncoat Jayson Legend of the Hearth

Well its easy to remove scouting. While under the effects of the potion, players flagged PvP are not visible to the avatar. Essentially, if you are in a PvP scene, you can't see any other players.

firesparx likes this.
  10. Stundorn

Stundorn Avatar

'This would be a possible solution.
    I am still more for no PVP and MP only scenes at all.
    I often explained that this causes more conflicts between players and in the community as it is necessary.
    there are other ways to give PVP a meaning. Tis Idea of Potiosn was thought the other way around and would be acceptable to me.

11. Gix

Gix Avatar

How about just letting them access the zone in single-player online?

You'd still have the issue that those people would have access to loot and other resources they shouldn't get. Overall, I don't think there's a viable solution for this.

I'd much rather see the explorer(s) finding a group of bodyguards instead.

12. Lazlo

Lazlo Avatar

You don't really need any kind of protection to explore PvP zones do you? Just put your stuff in the bank and what's the worst that can happen?

Audacity likes this.
  13. Gideon Thrax

Gideon Thrax Avatar

Exactly! And when you're touring as a ghost, you don't have to deal with mobs either. :D

14. Stundorn

Stundorn Avatar

thats right, but as a roleplayer i dont go without my Hat and my well worn cloth :D

instead of this i say (as someone who is pro PVP and will participate in it, when i am ready or some things have changed) we do not need PVP only scenes.
    There are other things what can make PVP interesting and let people flag allways and everywhere and the others not, havong fun visiting all scenes they want.

15. Browncoat Jayson

They already said no to that, although that would be my preference.

The option to craft a potion that will let you access these places means that while some players will be able to get resources they might not otherwise, they are paying for the privilege. And if that protection potion fails when they are in the wrong place, they could be in deep trouble. There really won't be a benefit to this potion other than not having to worry about PvP for a short time. Everything else can be done in another mode.

16. Stundorn

Stundorn Avatar

hm, mobs always see me, although i am use shadow form - do i miss something or is my skill to low to not get revealed. Even the green OW Bandits often reveal my Shadow form.

17. Audacity

Audacity Avatar

This potion would ruin my immersion. :p

It probably tastes like chicken too.

Duke Avery likes this.
  18. Gix

Gix Avatar

Then that should be a clear indicator as to what they want to do as far as allowing PvErs to roam PvP scenes.

While that is a valid point, wouldn't having invisibility potions simply be better?

Don't change the rules to cater to edge cases, but allow the generals rules to be utilized to everyone's advantage.

19. Browncoat Jayson

Well, specifically they said they wanted to promote PvP. That hasn't actually happened, tho, so what they want to do is still unknown.

Possibly. It would have to be a fixed level of skill, which would then bypass the entire skill leveling system, or it wouldn't be worth using. That seems more broken that a temporary flag. Also, stealth skills in this game are already hard to use, easy to break, and almost useless in their functionality. Until thats fixed, I wouldn't buy an invisibility potion at all. Finally, what we were discussing would only have PvP functionality, but wouldn't affect enemies attacking the user, or provide any stealth to the player using them at all, so they would get attacked by NPCs and PCs could see them and set up ambushes for when their potion drops. All of which seem better for this type of functionality than stealth.

So... no, I don't think invisibility potions would be better in this case. They might be worth considering for other uses, however.

20. Gix

Gix Avatar

Well, yeah... enabling non-PvPers to run around a PvP map unscathed doesn't promote PvP. In fact, the opposite is most likely true.

I know this first hand... believe me.

If the level of the alchemist improves the effects of the potions and each zone has a fixed difficulty rating (the skulls), then the rest practically solves itself. So, to explore PvP zones, you'd need potions potent enough for 5 skulls content.

...and everybody could use it everywhere in any zone... and it wouldn't be some sort PvP band-aid.

I'm not necessarily for the idea of enabling non-PvPers to explore PvP specific areas; I'm just looking for solutions that fit within my own criterias. The more edge-cases you have in a design, the worse the design gets.

Well that goes without saying...

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.