PvP Scaling Danger Zones

Discussion in 'Archived Topics' started by Hemswal The Descended, Mar 26, 2019.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. FrostII

FrostII Bug Hunter

Before I reply to your OP, @Hemswal The Descended , would you mind telling me how you acquired the "Effect's" shown below: ?

[​IMG]

2. Hemswal The Descended

Hemswal The Descended Avatar

From cheats I found online.

I kid.

Just from being around a long time, being at the right place at the right time. Dance parties and special events. Devs give out silly buffs from time to time. If you want more details you can PM me and Ill tell you about the collection. (They aren't actually attainable buffs)

3. istyrl

istyrl Avatar

@Chris @LordBritish @DarkStarr
    When I decide to play a game, i usually look for three aspects
    PVE content
    PVP
    what I call "deco" capability

When I chose SOTA where I heavily invested (both time and money) i thought i would find these three items together.
    deco capability is 100% success
    PVE content is 50%, still needs strategy for bosses and unique rewards for armor and weapons (the T level like in any game)
    PVP content is a complete failure, no player base, no incentive to PVP except for the fun of it but why playing SOTA when some shoot them up (medieval style of course) can do it much better

For many people who come into SOTA the first thing they realize is that the contract they thought signed with portalarium is breached, and leave the game (you promised pve and pvp and frankly there is no pvp)
    I personnaly do not play much SOTA anymore for this exact same reasons. I can now almost solo anything in the game (or with a limited group of 2-3 people), grind enough xp to bring any alt to 100 in a very short period of time, but so what? When I kill a high tier mob , I am almost certain i will get crappy loot and no meaningfull gear, I know that 90% of bosses will always have the same tactics (run on you and hit...). But that would be still fine if then, reaching a decent level for pvp (100+) I could engage in pvp

Ther is the worst part, you flag, go around empty pvp zones, look for the 1 or 2 flagged pvpers on the map, wait 30mns in the trials without seeing anybody and when, finally you get engaged in a group fight, well then there is nothing. There is no point in pvp in sota, nothing to protect, no reward to win. SOTA is not UO , and any modern game needs more to keep players compared to what UO was proposing, UO was great because it was 30 years ago (am I that old? , yes) and was the first RPG game that was proposing a multiplayer context. In 2019 we need a better game and in some ways SOTA is even worst when you remove the deco capability .

Major problem is player base some people say! no it is not! in 2 years , my guild has seen coming probably around 100 players, 5 play regularly now, there is a player base, it is just that they give up and leave to better games because what they are promised in SOTA is not there

We want more pvp in the game?
    Put damned MEANINGFULL rewards in the obsidian trials based on a point system, (titles, crafting receipe for unique TIER pvp gear, potions that can also be crafted)
    get this point system to open pvp (excluding duels and with a scale down with multiple kills of same avatar)),
    implement titles and factions,
    bring faction sieges as promised with MEANINGFULL rewards and ressources ,
    implement craft for pvp using pvp zones components.

Experiment blood bay with the OP ideas to see how it works (small town guarded green , player towns with yellow guarded, open wilderness in red with unique ressources) and if it works implement it in POTs only when flagged PVP

or into an arena stile zone with mobs in two factions (or three or 4 whatever) again with meaningfull rewards. You win the zone, you have access to a unique dungeon like the fall with its entrance from blood bay, the dungeon, when it is yours have all mobs (increase the numbers and level) friendly to your faction except special rooms (with liches skeletons dragon), the small temple give you pvp buff the entire period you own blood bay

Place unique PVP ressources in PVP zones for pvp crafts (shards)

At the same time, mirror it in the PVE world
    Put damned MEANINGFULL rewards on bosses (tiers level of gear, does not need to be physical gear, should be receipes)
    Artefact should not be random but attached to a particular boss and should be systematically dropping! (list of 3-4 artefacts for any given boss)
    Change bosses tactics in all dungeons (do not need to be everything at once, one boss per patch , with modified rewards)
    Allow POT to have ressources and mobs
    tiers gear crafted from unique tiers receipe from bosses or pvp reward should be level dependant, add 60 80 100 120 tiers in this game! I have never understood that the most powerfull gear in this game can be used by level 1 avatar, this is non sense!
    and
    DO NOT change anything in the deco system, housing, dungeon...it is outstanding
    do not change anything in avatar skill and progression, it is fine (except balancing)

Last edited: Apr 6, 2019
  4. VesperMadeMeChangeIt

VesperMadeMeChangeIt Avatar

If you forced PVP I would leave. I'm already sick and tired of half the stuff in game being nerfed because the PVPers keep complaining about it.

kaeshiva likes this.
  5. Spinok

Spinok Avatar

PVP complaints are just the marker. I`m a medium level PVP guy, but I can say that I`m extremely advanced PVE player. And what I want to say, if smth is extremely powerful in PVP then usually its just "godlike" in PVE. Example, huge amount of complaints was made about Xen in PVP, but for example, in PVE it allowed to make 2.5k hits. Why PVE guys are not complaining and crying about nerfing? - because they use those broken mechanics to earn IGG.

6. Dhanas

Dhanas Avatar

This is not player's fault but dev's fault, since they are not able to make skill have a different behaviour in pve and pvp.
    Btw pvp players can't play with something broken, because pvp lose all the intere sense if something is broken and no need player skill to win, so they are blocked and can't pvp, at the same time pve players ( if they are able to play) should be able to notice when something is broken and makes the game much more trivial than what it already is.

P.S. for everyone: if you feel much more strong after keeping in your hands one item ( without changing anything else), is not you that is stronger, you still a newb but with a op item in your hands ;)

7. Crazy Phil

Crazy Phil Avatar

Sounds expensive. ;)
    [​IMG]
    "Solutions" for PVP, so far, have been to add "pocket experiences" in the world... which I don't understand. I figure it's just to test ideas out and see what sticks? This also seems expensive...

So, what else is there? I felt there was some great discussion in the thread A few words about PVP...

It started with, "There's no reason to go to PVP except for fun. You need to collect very good equipment, make a special build. What for? No rewards for PVP. There are no locations for farming something unusual and valuable. There are no ratings or tournaments. There is no motivation."

Several threads seem to lean towards either PVP-only items or Full Loot.
    So... why not both? Add PVP gear and items. Let crafters make and sell them. Maybe Shardfalls drop a required ingredient since they were supposed to be this bloom of resources...?

I would love to see Control Points held and fought over by Guilds, PVP triggered encounters on the Overworld, being able to call "Guards!" like in UO and seeing them teleport or run over and one-shot folks, tiered battles like in RIFT for the Shardfalls to attract that world boss tug of war like WoW had at one time with the Emerald Dragons...

...but what's feasible?

Do we even priority-filter PVP-flagged players into other flagged player's scenes yet so we at least see each other?...

Last edited: Apr 25, 2019
  8. VesperMadeMeChangeIt

VesperMadeMeChangeIt Avatar

I dont have IGG. My bow is hanging on my wall until crafting spec. I haven't even used it yet. I also won't get to because it will be nerfed before I do. Same with the poisons I use in PVE but not PVP - they will be nerfed. I still die regularly I'm not that advanced I guess.

9. Curt

Curt Avatar

One suggestion from a pure PvE:er. If there is a pure PvP scene have it so each unique? player you kill give a stacking buff that increase your apparent size.
    That way the more successful will stand out and make a bigger target in a way.

Arkah EMPstrike likes this.
  10. Arkah EMPstrike

Arkah EMPstrike Avatar

This was what the obsidian trials were built for, to test mechanics for the Siege-able scenes when they come online. The idea is to provide a less expensive (no loot, so that everyone can keep going backa s much as they want) and rewarding (pvp points/currency and vendors) mechanic that is scene specific. Its only recently been fixed so that folks can reliably get in without wasting 10 minuites. Im sure the only thing now is to build the various scenes and figure out what the rewards for capturing them are.

kaeshiva and CrazyPhil like this.
  11. Spinok

Spinok Avatar

It is not about you, it is the general reason.

12. Crazy Phil

Crazy Phil Avatar

A Pocket Experience to test mechanics for even more Pocket Experiences... :( /sigh #sadness

Signing up for a round of the Obsidian Trials should be a menu option while you're out adventuring. Ding! Your number is up! Click to zone!

Consume a Teleport to Zone scroll if necessary.

kaeshiva and Elrond like this.
  13. Antrax Artek

Antrax Artek Avatar

Just unicorn poisons and chaotic were nerfed. They're PVP only poisons, mobs don't have buffs and cannot be confused.
    Why people are claiming that the nerf was at expense of pve?

Jaesun and CatherineRose like this.
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.