PvP Zones : The richest 1% get richer?

Discussion in 'PvP Gameplay' started by Innessa Lelania, Feb 13, 2015.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Innessa Lelania

Innessa Lelania Avatar

This has been bothering me a little bit and I'm not quite sure I've wrapped my brain around it, so maybe someone can clear it up for me.

If the PvP zones (which will only be used by a very small percentage of the overall player base presumably) are going to contain the richest and best resource veins, won't that mean that PvP players will be instantly the richest players in the game since they will have basically exclusive access to this stuff in much greater quantities than can be gathered outside of PvP zones? They can mine and chop all day long huge quantities of very rare resources and corner the market essentially.

I am aware there will be very limited amounts of these rare resources outside of PvP zones, but since they are extremely rare and presumably in smaller quantities, theres no way it will keep pace with the sheer volume coming out of PvP zones.

In other words, as time progresses, this near monopoly of resources will make the richest 1% even richer so to speak. Wont it? Where am I thinking wrong here, if at all?

Cheers

2. rune_74

rune_74 Avatar

Nope, that will happen.

Apparently risk deserves the reward, even if there is little risk.

3. Drocis the Devious

Drocis the Devious Avatar

You're thinking wrong in that only 1% of the people will be going to pvp zones.

You're thinking wrong that "resources" won't then have to work themselves back into the economy. These aren't freshly made swords and armor that are going to be harvested, these "pvp guys" are going to need to craft. (or find people who can do it for them)

You're thinking wrong in that you have to realize that the more people pvp the more their weapons and armor get damaged, so they need repairs and thus more resources.

You're thinking wrong in that you forgot that in pvp you can get looted (perhaps more than 1 item, we still have to discuss other options).

Good questions though.

4. Sold and gone

Sold and gone Avatar

Somewhere underground waiting to get you!
    I am not going to tell you you are wrong or right. I am going to agree with you.

lollie, FrostII, Heradite and 9 others like this.
  5. Innessa Lelania

Innessa Lelania Avatar

What percentage of people do you think will be playing PvP in your estimation? Certainly you conceed it will be a very small percentage of the overall population, this seems clear from every game out there.

um, im not sure why thats an issue? First off, they dont have to craft anything, they can just sell the raw resources themselves. Secondly, even if they decide to sell crafted items, whats the big deal about that? Just craft them, no biggie and certainly wont stop the money piling in.

This one makes some sense, but I wonder if this will just eat up a very small amount of the resources, leaving tons left still to sell. And over time, the extra will continue to pile up, effectively making the rich richer.

1 item looting is not going to slow down this train. not even sure any amount of looting will slow it down. It will just cause the PvPer that killed you to take the resources and they will sell them instead. PvPers will still have the market cornered.

Thanks, I thought so too!

I'm still not convinced that this will not over time result in VERY rich PvPers and much poorer PvEers. The longer the differential goes on, the more the gap will widen I think.

lollie, FrostII, Heradite and 8 others like this.
  6. rune_74

rune_74 Avatar

This is an area people really don't want to draw much attention to. It will be exploited if it goes forward like this.

7. Xandra7

Xandra7 Avatar

I would not have pledged during kickstarter had I known the economy would be PvP based, with crafters depending on, or being pvp pawns.

Hope you are wrong.

lollie, Ice Queen, cobran and 5 others like this.
  8. Drocis the Devious

Yes, I concede that the percentage of people in pvp will be far lower than the rest of the player population. What exact percentage? I have no idea. My hope would be that it surprises us and reaches a respectable number as we improve on the design of pvp.

Well if they sell the resources they're in competition with each other as well as PVE players. Competition will help drive down the price, or at least as PVE players are concerned keep the prices at a level where people can actually buy them for a reasonable fee. Will PVP players make money off of this? The smart ones will, yes. But I would argue that since it's not a closed economy and PVP and PVE players can trade with one another, the smart PVE players will make a great deal of money too.

Time will tell, but the developers have a vested interest in finding the right balance here. The economy where any players hoard or stock up on "Stuff" that they use all the time is not a good economy. The devs will want constant flow between what is used and what is gained.

Again, it's not a closed market so PVE players are going to be a big part of the economy, they just "generally" will be outside the pvp loop. This is a complex economy unlike other games. The resources will be regional, so think of it like this.

Say you're a PVP player that lives in the North of Novia near the coast of the Spindrift Bay. It looks like the closest Shardfall to you is Grunvald Shardfall, right? Well where are all the Pine trees at? It looks to me like they're in North Paladis. So that means someone has to transport all that pine wood through control points and into the Grunvald Plains for sale to people that can't get pine wood regionally. Seems to me like that would be some pretty expensive pinewood. ;)

So what do you suppose the PVP players might give you for expensive and rare pine wood from North Paladis? :)

The whole economy is deigned like this. Are pvp players really going to transport pinewood across the map so they can get it themselves? Nope. That would take away from their pvp time wouldn't it? Plus they have all this rare stuff from pvping that they can use for trade so they can get whatever they need by paying PVEers to bring them stuff out in the rest of the world. Then the PVEers can in turn run those PVP resources back up to North Paladis and trade it for more pine wood or something else.

The point is the economy is designed to be very sophisticated, unlike what you may be used to where some game has a giant public auction house and travel is cheap and easy. This is really going to be fun. :)

9. crossbowsoda

crossbowsoda Avatar

OP sounds unsubstantiated.

Perhaps best to wait and see.

10. Bowen Bloodgood

Bowen Bloodgood Avatar

So here's a thought. What if the variety of esources are there.. but not any more abundant than anywhere else? PvPers it seems will still gather in PvP zones simply by virtue of being a PvP zone. It's not the resources that draw them there specifically.. but they will take advantage of what's there to be certain.

Uncle Sven, lollie, Ice Queen and 6 others like this.
  11. E n v y

E n v y Avatar

I think back to UO.......I don't think I ever saw a "rich" PvPer. All of the wealth was controlled by the PvMers, it was only at the launch of AoS when PvP became item related when those PvMers got involved in PvP (only ones who could get or afford the items) and actually drive many PvPers away,

Anyway, that aside.......I think this thread is just so wrong on so many levels.

12. Sold and gone

Sold and gone Avatar

Somewhere underground waiting to get you!
    I seen many rich pvp'rs in UO. They sold the power scrolls for what ever price they wanted to dictate.

lollie, Ice Queen, FrostII and 5 others like this.
  13. Bowen Bloodgood

Bowen Bloodgood Avatar

The concern isn't the competitive nature of the market.. it's the difference in how much resources PvPers will get because of the higher output comparitively speaking. A PvPer with access to higher yield resources that gets say x5 as a much as a non-PvPer is naturally going to have the capacity to make x5 as a much just because the PvP zones yield more resources. The effect of that over time is cummulative.

lollie, Ice Queen, Heradite and 6 others like this.
  14. Innessa Lelania

Innessa Lelania Avatar

Thats an odd reply. I'm being very civil, and not taking a side one way or the other. The question is MORE than relevant and a legitimate concern. So why are you attacking the thread as "wrong on so many levels"? Unless you are just trying to derail it for some odd reason.

lollie, FrostII, Heradite and 6 others like this.
  15. Albus

Albus Avatar

Depending upon the quantity elsewhere, I would say a subset of pvp'ers (the ones who end up holding the field - so probably an organized bunch or so) would end up getting the riches. It depends on whether the pvp zones are just relatively resource rich, or truly command unique or otherwise extremely rare resources, I'd say. Sooo not necessarily, but something to follow to give your input on and see how it goes.

16. Innessa Lelania

Innessa Lelania Avatar

Of course its unsubstantiated, thats why I asked it as a question and not related it as a statement. This is a forum, its meant for discussion of topics. 90% of what is discussed in these forums is unsubstantiated because the game isnt done yet. Doesnt mean we shouldnt talk about it.

lollie, FrostII, Heradite and 3 others like this.
  17. Drocis the Devious

Bowen, the shardfalls will have certain types of resources. Like space plants.

They're not going to have pine wood, maple wood, salt, garlic, etc...

It's going to be very uncommon resources unique to shardfalls. It's really just going to be another regional set of resources, but unlike other areas there's a twist where you have to accept pvp to get near them in the wild.

Tahru likes this.
  18. E n v y

E n v y Avatar

Certainly on Europa they were the PvMers with there l337 Doom Artis who took over the champs in fel. Yeah they were the ones who used to bank sit in black blessed sandals with glacial staffs.

Kaisa, fattymoomooman and Tahru like this.
  19. Innessa Lelania

Innessa Lelania Avatar

Unique to shardfalls completely?

20. Tahru

Tahru Avatar

I don't think it is an issue, because there may be 1 resource at most per PVP zone and there will be lucky to be 4 non-POT PVP zones in the game. Hence out of 10,000-100,000 items 4 of them might favor PVP distribution, but won't even be exclusive to it. There are going to be MUCH BIGGER economic threats from PVE tycoons. That is my opinion anyway.

Destroying Angel likes this.
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.