PvP Zones : The richest 1% get richer?

Discussion in 'PvP Gameplay' started by Innessa Lelania, Feb 13, 2015.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Gareth Caliborne

Gareth Caliborne Avatar

So hire people to guard your buttocks whilst you meander about the PvP zones gathering.

What's the worst that can happen, a minor stat penalty for a few minutes? Maybe losing 1 item (depending on what's decided later)? Well if you're just there to gather, you don't need to be carrying anything other than gathering tools and, hopefully, a pair of pants. It's the guys you hired to guard you that have to worry about that.

Here's a secret, people really like crafters, so I don't imagine it will be TOO hard to get together a nice sized group of folks to escourt a good crafter around in exchange for discounts and other deals on gear.

Destroying Angel, Kaisa and gtesser like this.
  2. Sold and gone

Sold and gone Avatar

Somewhere underground waiting to get you!
    Hrm, well Europa when I played was a popular role play shard. Now on atlantic and pacific, the pvp group would watch with ghost cams, and then when the boss was bout to pop, they raided, when you had your hands full with mobs. Then they get the scrolls, and the gold, and dry loot you too! Was fun times. They controlled the powerscroll market and made lots of money doing it.

3. Innessa Lelania

Innessa Lelania Avatar

Baron Drocis disagrees with you. He is stating that they will be unique to PvP zones only. Im trying to get clarification on that point.

4. E n v y

E n v y Avatar

Well lets just start with the title.......your already implying that any PvPer is likely to be in the top 1% of wealthiest players before the game even starts?

In truth not many PvPers even collect resources, what you might find is that some non-pvp guilds form pacts with PvP players to protect them in exchange for a %. That is exactly what you saw on UO with champ spawns and I can't see it being any different here.

Sean Silverfoot and Tahru like this.
  5. Drocis the Devious

Drocis the Devious Avatar

No, I think the high yield factor is unique.

I believe the devs have been consistent in saying there would be other non-pvp areas that had these same resources but they would be highly contested and have much lower yields. So if you want to stand around waiting for a single space plant node to respawn and there are 3 bots, 5 players standing next to you (or in their own scenes) and 3 SPO people you can't see, then good luck getting those resources.

The smarter players would develop trade routes to find things the pvpers want and need and then get the shardfall resources that way. There will be plenty to go around once this economy gets moving. It's basic supply and demand, if a pvp player has 10,000 space plants, he's going to want to sell them or trade them for something he/she needs. So the smart PVE players will have that covered and make as much if not more off the sale.

Tahru likes this.
  6. Sold and gone

Sold and gone Avatar

From everything that I have read and heard, is that there will be more resources available in shardfalls, Including rare gatherables and rare spawns.

7. Sold and gone

Sold and gone Avatar

So assuming what you say is true, and a person has a different way of thinking, are you saying he is dumb? Your way is the smart way? What this sounds like to me is you are planing on a flawed game already if you are talking about bots and other things hindering players. IF bots force people to be "smart" and go to shardfalls then I say the game is overwith already. Lets make it a pve shardfall event where everyone is included and make as many regular pvp hexes as you want. I say thats fair.

cobran, lollie, Heradite and 4 others like this.
  8. Innessa Lelania

Innessa Lelania Avatar

I didnt imply anything. The title was to summarize the question I was asking and I think it does it well since its a well known phrase in popular society today. I have no position on it right now (though I AM concerned) and am soliciting feedback one way or the other, as you can see from my actual post.

Thats interesting and will probably happen to some extent. That doesnt address the majority of the issue though, that will just cover off some portion of it.

9. Tahru

Tahru Avatar

I think this is speculative, but it is fair to say that everything is speculative. If it seriously became an issue, there would be such a huge backlash which would force it to change anyway. I am going to go with my best-guess and assume there will be 1 precious resource per zone, it will will not be exclusive to PVP zones and that there will be very few PVP zone because hard core PVPers make up a very small percentage of the players.

10. Drocis the Devious

I'm saying that in every MMO I've ever played or seen or heard of there are bots. I'm not saying those people are smart or not smart. I'm saying that smart people will overcome that by doing what I said - creating a supply chain and networking with customers to sell them things they need and want.

Also, Ravicus, you're missing a very important point. The map is a big world full of regional stuff...you can't pvp everywhere and the resource "advantage" for pvping is localized in three areas. So if you want to have cool stuff, you're going to need to trade, which means that PVE players will have their own valuable and rare stuff that they can trade, they just have to bring it to the pvp market to sell for the higher prices.

I don't know how I can make this any more clear to you...it's going to be a fair economy and I think everyone (relatively speaking) is going to like it.

11. Sold and gone

Sold and gone Avatar

Did you watch the dev hangout that I linked? They clearly state that there where to more resources in shardfall zones than other areas, AND rare resouces and rare spawns. I can link it again if you give me a min.

12. Innessa Lelania

Innessa Lelania Avatar

Hmmm maybe so.

The more I think about this situation, the more I feel like the best possible position to be in to make the most money possible, might be as a crafter that is in a PvP guild. There seems to be all the perks and no downsides. Your fellow PvPers will get you your rare resources to your hearts content without you having to fight for them, and you make tons of stuff made out of rare materials for them to keep them resupplied in return. The extra overspill of rares, which could potentially be very large (certainly over time), you sell off to the PvE crowd for big profits.

13. Drocis the Devious

Well, I think that's ONE way to make a lot of money.

I think another way would be to create a name for yourself as someone that can get or provide a service to other players that people really want. I don't know if you read my example above or not about the Pine Wood? If not, please scroll up. I think there will be a lot of ways to do this sort of thing - being a travelling merchant (or not travelling at all and just hiring people to do it for you).

14. Sold and gone

Sold and gone Avatar

"The smart people will overcome that by doing what I said"......

15. Drocis the Devious

Not because *I* said it, but because it's true...

I'm just explaining basic and common business practices.

This is not a game where you just walk out into the "resource" scene and gather everything you need and then go craft it. It's much more complex than that.

16. Sold and gone

Sold and gone Avatar

Exactly what I have been saying. :)

17. Tahru

Tahru Avatar

more resources - can mean more of a particular resource or more of many resources

I think there is no reason to get up in arms before all the facts are on the table. There is a tipping point at which I (and many) will say, "hold it! this is ridiculous". Right now there is nothing but man eating plants.

What I thought was concerning from the hangout was the little tidbit about making death harder and expanding PVP looting. Which I am not in favor of, but I will hold my opinion until it happens.

18. licemeat

licemeat Avatar

SPO - go to a zone and harvest at normal rate without stopping. PVP zone - Harvest for more, but... fight off people, die, repair, harvest some, die, fight, fight, repair, etc. It'll even out.

One Zero likes this.
  19. fattymoomooman

fattymoomooman Avatar

To the OP - You have no idea how this will play out until zone mechanics, crafting requirements and other elements of the game take shape, here are some examples of what MAY happen (not all mean the PVP zone players are the richest and lord it over all others):

1) Those resources will probably not be the only ingredients required to craft the items they make - simple supply and demand dictates that if enough of these high-end resources are farmed then you will also need the lower end ones to combine with them - the price of the lower end materials will rise and those 'rarer' (but not any more) materials in the PvP zones will drop. Take crafting in WoW prior to WOD as an example (unfortunately WOD broke the market for crafting), not many players were gathering low-mid range crafting materials but they were still needed to skill up and their prices rose dramatically.

2) If the prices of those elements found only in PVP zones truly are kept inflated by the PVP players by drip-feeding supplies then crafters will still buy them and add their markup to the equation, probably at a scaled up % causing inflation - Portalartium will probably adjust resource spawns if this happens.

3) Many PVP players either shun crafting completely or have different mains to craft - those who shun the crafting side of the game will just dump those mats on the market at whatever price they can gather in a hurry and get back to fighting, I have known some PVP players who care little of gathering more wealth than it needed to keep fighting, they don't have time for houses and bank-sitting activities.

3) As in games like EVE you may find that those PVP players not interested in gathering may instead decide to allow non-PVP players to farm there unhindered for a 'nominal fee', you might get guilds fighting over those resources and their supply to the remainder of the economy.

We will have to see how this plays out, but it has taken different paths on other MMO games, lets sit back and watch for now...

20. Sold and gone

Sold and gone Avatar

Now is the time for clarification dont you think? Why wait and find out? When you find out after its implemented then its too late. When do you suggest we talk about this?

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.