Question about Agriculture and farming resources

Discussion in 'General Discussion' started by LikeAfox2, Apr 19, 2017.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. LikeAfox2

LikeAfox2 Avatar

Hi all,

I was wondering if someone can explain to me how agriculture is working and how can I produce the most of a resource when planting.

Someone told me there is a tier system where you need to water a plant for it to grow the most and produce the most. Can someone go over that with me. Aka: each stage is an 10 hour period (or something like that), so you have a window to water it at this interval and so on.

For instance, Cotton and Mandrake.

With cotton, I will plant it and immediately water it. How often do I need to water it to produce the most cotton and how many times?

Same question with Mandrake? Are they the same, or do they grow at difference paces and need to be watered a different amount of times? Is fertilizer used yet? Or is it a place holder and useless for right now?

If someone can shed some light and go over this in depth with me, I would greatly appreciate it.

Thanks,

2. Stryker Sparhawk

Stryker Sparhawk Avatar

This is perhaps a resource you seek:

https://www.sotalore.com/farming

Looking at the chart, the new roses are not classified in there. Hmm.
    Fertilizer is not used yet.

Last edited: Apr 19, 2017
  3. Dangerous_Dave

Dangerous_Dave Avatar

To add to the above very useful resource that my limited noob testing, all in R40, corroborates...

Indoor agriculture (above ground, not basement) appears to be the same as outside.
    I've only tested this in the middle floors of the 'greenhouse' row house so far, but I'd expect the 'stairwell', enclosed rooms to be the same as rooms in any house. The number of light fittings made no difference (tested 0, 3 & 12 lights/grow room).

Basement agriculture works, but very slow (1/10 stated by others, but not confirmed by my ongoing tests yet). Adding lights appears to make zero difference.
    I have a running experiment with rooms populated with 0 lights, 3 lights and 12 lights (brighter than noon outside). All appear identical so far but it's only been running for 4 days.

Watering makes a huge difference to your average yield. Don't neglect it if you have a choice.
    A single cotton bush just planted, then ignored until harvesting will give you a yeild of 1 Raw Cotton. Give it the full set of 4 waterings and the yield jumps to ~10 Raw Cotton/bush and you get the occasional seed too.
    The max yield is probably affected by your general harvesting skills but I'm not certain on this.

Drawing water from a well works, but is not time or cost effective. The time it takes to draw water (~7 buckets/min from my little well) is better spent adventuring, selling the spoils and just buying the water at 4gp/bucket. You'll have more fun, boost your stats, and make more gold overall (I'm only level 45 so this should be true for most players).
    Warning when buying a lot at once. It's heavy!
    ( Macroing the use of a Well would be easy, but probably frowned upon )

You can easily tell if plants are ready for watering visually as the soil returns to looking dry (look at the base before/after watering). You cannot over-water. it only accepts it if it wants it.

The four story 'greenhouse' Row house does NOT boost the growth rate as it should. The top 'greenhouse' level and front 'big window' rooms all behave the same as outside.

I'm expecting major changes to how agriculture works at some point so remember the above and the linked resource data is likely to change drastically in future releases.

Mhtic, SmokerKGB and Stundorn like this.
  4. Stundorn

Stundorn Avatar

Plant with one water.
    Water one time after planting (1st watering) .
    For Mandrake it's a 16hrs cycle outside ( rate 1.0) greenhouses half the time (growth rate 2.0) and inside Buildings it's 10 times ( growth rate 0.1).
    But you have 32hrs time to water for the 2nd time.
    16hrs to wait and again 16hrs within the 2nd cycle. ( half for greenhouse, if that fits your playtimes).
    And then you do it again for a 3rd cycle.
    After 48 hrs and 3 waterings plus the 1 water when planting ( total 4) you get the best outcome (14-17 per plant i think it was).
    If you gather the water you can produce at around 1g per reagencie. (broken hoe's not included).

I dont know cotton, but i think it's 16hrs cycle too.
    Garlic is 8hrs cycle
    Nightshade 16hrs
    Tea has a 32hrs cycle iirc.
    There was a list elswhere. Maybe someone can link it. Am on mobile, so bad research atm.

5. Stundorn

Stundorn Avatar

@Dangerous_Dave

22 days for Mandrake inside.

480 hours in total at 0.1 growth rate.
    Drag and drop your planting Pot or bed and see the rate. Light doesnt matter.

They add a row house with a greenhouse top floor with 2.0 rate. (Edit maybe it's 1.0 as it is posted above. Didnt check by myself)

For me just outside fits due to playtimes.
    2.0 rate is to fast for me as i cannot login within 8 hours.
    I never have a chance to grow things optimal what are under a 16hrs cycle and at 1.0 growth rate.

6. LikeAfox2

LikeAfox2 Avatar

I don't understand why a greenhouse would be a growth rate of 2x and inside a building is 10x.

So for Cotton Greenhouse (2x):

Plant -> Instant Water (1) -> Water after 8 hours (2) (But have a 16 hour window to water) -> Water after 8 hours (3) (But have a 16 hour window to water) -> Water after 8 hours (4) (But have a 16 hour window to water). Total waters 4 =24 hours spread. So essentially, I have to hit the watering right on the dot each time at the 8th hour to get 4 waters in 24 hours for a max harvest while using a green house? Seems very hard to do if you actually have to work and cant get on at these times.

Thanks for all the advice everyone. Really appreciate it.

Lord Baldrith likes this.
  7. Stundorn

Stundorn Avatar

0.1 Rate inside is 10 times the time of outside which has a rate of 1.0
    Greenhouses half the time so the rate is 2.0 its grow doble fast than at rate 1.0.

I am bad at math, hope its right and you can understand, my english isnt that good :p

8. CrandalltheFoole

CrandalltheFoole Avatar

Not growth rate - growth time

Stundorn likes this.
  9. Nib

Nib Avatar

Can we no longer grow plants inside a house? Mine haven't grown at all since the latest release.

10. majoria70

majoria70 Avatar

It's very very slow inside a house now. I am not sure of the numbers, but I thought it was like 2 weeks or something. Much better to grow outside or on a rooftop. If you have a row house some can put a couple of pots outside and if you live in a pot, some offer amenities to residents since public planting buildings are not working yet. Another option is crafting a row house that has a green house area on the top level. Anyway the Devs did cave and let Row houses have a green house option after a lot of begging here ;) Btw I love our new 'beg' emote, imagine that ;)

CrandalltheFoole likes this.
  11. Stundorn

Stundorn Avatar

12. majoria70

majoria70 Avatar

13. Stundorn

Stundorn Avatar

majoria70 likes this.
  14. Nib

Nib Avatar

Thank you didn't see that post

Stundorn likes this.