Question with regards to rarity

Discussion in 'General Discussion' started by Jatvardur, Oct 15, 2015.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Jatvardur

Jatvardur Avatar

I think everyone was, but going forward I think things will be different. This year will confirm it for sure.

mbomber, enderandrew and licemeat like this.
  2. Drocis the Devious

Drocis the Devious Avatar

I agree with the OP, the developers should state plainly on the website somewhere what all the words mean.

Limited Availability
    Seasonal
    Rare
    whatever...

I think the vague definitions hurt business and customer relationships overall. I don't think that whatever "wiggle room" afforded by the loose marketing talk is helping as much as it's hurting. Just my feedback. I think it would be easy enough to create a section in the FAQ's that explains what these words mean. I think people are more likely to purchase items in the store when they understand exactly what they're buying.

And if regular long time customer don't know (and I don't), that's kind of a red flag that should be addressed.

Ice Queen, smack, mbomber and 4 others like this.
  3. Satan Himself

Satan Himself Avatar

The meaning of "last chance" is self-evident and I don't think we've ever had any last chance items return to the store.

Ice Queen and Arradin like this.
  4. enderandrew

enderandrew Legend of the Hearth

I think the Christmas 2013 items returning in 2014 (along with a holiday bundle of other removed holiday items) may be the only exception I can think of.

With so many holiday items up for sale right now it might be nice if @dallas could clarify if we are supposed to get truly unique, last chance holiday items each year or if they might return.

Frankly, I'm fine with holiday items returning for holidays, but it probably should be clear to potential buyers either way.

Sara Dreygon likes this.
  5. Razimus

Razimus Avatar

I too am interested in what is an exclusive rare as opposed to something that appears every year. Rares will always be a big thing, would be great to have more defined definitions.

Sara Dreygon likes this.
  6. Godra

Godra Avatar

Based on past weekly updates and how add-on store items have been listed for sale and removed, it's fairly simple...

Last Chance - are items that had no prior time limit for purchase, but Port wanted to remove from store for whatever reason. They give you a LAST CHANCE warning and once that date ticks away, so does the item for sale. There has not been a LAST CHANCE item that has returned to the add-on store for purchase.

Limited Availability - these items do not have a quantity cap, but are only available for purchase for a period of time. Once that time is gone, can no longer purchase item. This does not mean it won't come back later. This has mainly been seasonal or holiday items. Christmas items did come back, but again, only for a certain time frame. Now if you wanted to purchase a Holiday Tree for your in game house, but you missed the date, now you have to wait until next year. Not saying they will come back and can always be changed. You just have to take a chance and either wait until next year or bite the bullet and get it now just in case you can't later.

Limited Quantity - easy one. there are X amount to purchase. Once the items run out, no more to purchase and most likely won't see again. Now, my opinion with property lots... maybe gone by E1, but may have a new round of them when E2 or later comes around. Have to fund those episodes too.

Price Sale - no time frame on it, but as you can see, Port is starting to remove those discounts, so get out those wallets and start spending!!! ;)

Budner, Womby and licemeat like this.
  7. Razimus

Razimus Avatar

That's great and all, but I'd be more interested in the implied specifics, such as "these exact items will not be re-created in-game or be re-released in the add-on store" The rarity is implied but to the casual add-on store browser they don't know this. Is this a pledge for an item that is worthless? Players will ultimately determine the in-game value but knowing their rarity would help sales/pledges I believe.

8. FireLotus

FireLotus Royal Bard & Master Dabbler Dev Emeritus

Somebody rang? :cool:

Let me poke around and clarify a few things and then one of us can let you know. The add-on store isn't my "area of expertise", so I would hate to give you the wrong info.

9. dallas

dallas Co-Founder Emeritus Dev Emeritus

We received complaints when we returned the exact same Holiday items from 2013 to 2014, so we decided to stop doing that going forward. When an item shows up in the "Seasonal" category that indicates that it is a "rare" that will only be available for that season (i.e. Fall of 2015 for the current "spooky/halloween" items). However, an exception to that is some of the non-seasonal items that are included in a seasonal "bundle". For example, the 2015 Spooky Decoration Bundle is composed of 9 items, but only one of those items, the Jack-o-Lantern 6-Pack, is a "rare" that will not be seen again. The other 8 items are non-seasonal and will remain in the store after the 2015 Fall Season (i.e. Nov. 30th). The 2015 Spooky Decoration Bundle is listed in the "Seasonal" category, because that Bundle value-pack will only be available as a bundle for the 2015 Fall season, and the Bundle will be removed from the store, whereas 8 of the individual items in the bundle will remain available for individual purchase in the non-seasonal area of the store.

Same with the 2015 Wearable Bundle, which will only be available during the 2015 Fall season (until Nov. 30th). 5 of the items in that bundle are "rares" and are not expected to return to the store after this season (i.e. the grim reaper mask, Jack-o-Lantern mask, Jack-o-Lantern Glowing mask, headless mask, and witch hat), and 3 of the items are non-seasonal and will remain in the store after the 2015 Fall season (even though the "bundle" will no longer be available).

Because we have such a shortage of "tabletop" decorations, we decided to make the Tabletop Grim Reaper Statue a non-seasonal item so it can remain available for longer, whereas the very large Grim Reaper Statue is a "rare" and will only be available for the 2015 Fall Season.

Hope this clarifies things.

10. Drocis the Devious

Any chance of getting Obsidian Lord Statues? :)

11. Spoon

Spoon Avatar

@dallas

Suggestion:
    Add a "rare" icon, just like the ink-dyable one you have for clothing, which you can stick on items that will not be coming back. That way people can spot "rares" already on the pics.

12. Drocis the Devious

Yes, and start with the Obsidian Lord Statues "RARE". :)

13. Jatvardur

Jatvardur Avatar

Appreciated!

Many thanks, this clarifies a lot of things.

My only 'fear' is the phrase "not expected to return", it has enough of an ambiguous edge to cause doubt. I suppose you can delineate between near-duplicate items with different years in the item's title.

Had the exact same idea when I shut off my computer last night. Should have come back to post. :-( Now it will be forever Spoon's idea.

Last edited: Oct 16, 2015
    Sara Dreygon, mbomber, Womby and 4 others like this.
  14. Spoon

Spoon Avatar

Well I did write it in the b hangout chat to FireLotus. I've also mentioned it like three times in these forums so if you only came up with it last night then you know that subliminal messages work...

15. Jatvardur

Jatvardur Avatar

Don't always read your posts....

mbomber and Aldo like this.
  16. Lord Andernut

Lord Andernut Avatar

Just an FYI - the replenishing easter basket and the white bunny did not come back. A spotted bunny made an appearance this year.

Arradin likes this.
  17. David J Thompson

David J Thompson Avatar

well you bloody well should mate. it is Spoon...

Katrina Bekers, Spoon and Jatvardur like this.
  18. enderandrew

enderandrew Legend of the Hearth

But there is no Spoon.

Wait...

mbomber likes this.
  19. Jatvardur

Jatvardur Avatar

I normally assume it's true and move on. More efficient. ;-)

Katrina Bekers and mbomber like this.
  20. David J Thompson

David J Thompson Avatar

Fork you, err, sorry typos
    Spoon Lives !!!

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.