Ranging...

Discussion in 'Skills and Combat' started by Ribbon, Oct 31, 2013.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Ribbon

Ribbon Avatar

After watching the 6 month demo i realized there was no information about ranging, not even images, and i'm still thinking how it's gonna work.

Like the kind of weapons; what kind of arrows will be available; if it's gonna be infinite or i will have to make it; if they are gonna use a aim system or it will be "point click".

Don't know if already exist a thread discussing it, but as i didn't see it in the 6 demo video, i would like to know if someone has any clue about it. :)

rild likes this.
  2. Vyrin

Vyrin Avatar

There was a quiver attached to each of the backpacks - what more do you want? :p

3. MalakBrightpalm

MalakBrightpalm Avatar

This is gonna be a huge thing, since ranged combat is inherantly superior to melee. In order to balance the two so that they can coexist, melee must be given some advantages (such as heavy armor) that are denied to ranged combatants (no, heavy armor will prevent you from firing a crossbow, we swear!)

Ribbon likes this.
  4. PrimeRib

PrimeRib Avatar

I would like to be able to swap decks / weapons on the fly, e.g. 1 is my bow deck, 2 is my sword deck

I'm more concerned with the face tanking than the range. By that I mean, if I'm not in full plate with a shield, I don't want to be standing and trading blows with something...I want to kite, dodge, parry, etc.

I'd like to see AoE planned, rather than random if possible. Either I'm in an AoE stance, or I hold shift to make a skill AoE if possible, or something similar. Mixing targeting like this should be avoided if possible.

I assume mouse over = target. Unobtrusive range indicators would be nice.

As I've said before, I loved both the flail type ranged weapons and the axe / boomerang offhands from the Ultima games. This gives you some range option all the time.

5. Umbrae

Umbrae Avatar

I don't know if swapping decks should be required for switching from range to melee. From the demo wacking something is pretty traditional with more fancy effects most likely being runes (parry, heavy swing, etc), so I imagine range will work the same way. I would rather see you mixing range and melee skills into one deck and it being smart enough to not serve you ranged skills when you hold your sword or vice versa.

I guess it would make sense to loose focus to switch between weapons, but this would meaning "linking" decks to weapons. I would have to hate to switch decks and then have to switch weapons too. That would be a little cumbersome, but if the deck was smart and knew what weapon I was using and adjusted card delivery for it things would be very fluid.

6. stile

stile Avatar

In a dev video somewhere at some point in time, it was said ammo will be counted, so not infinite.

rild likes this.
  7. MalakBrightpalm

MalakBrightpalm Avatar

Even more fluid if it was able to toggle automatically when you crossed the range barrier. If my character "knows" to put away the crossbow and pull out the hammer and shield when the enemy I've got targeted comes closer than 8 feet, but pull it out again when they get further than 10 feet, that would make the minimal UI SO much more plausible. Automatically switching decks would be a great accompaniment.

rild likes this.
  8. rild

rild Avatar

great suggestion malak - provided that range is somewhat malleable to the player, and can be toggled. some characters might like to keep their bow in hand while they evade.

9. PrimeRib

PrimeRib Avatar

Yeah, I thought about the auto-swap stance thing. Range being the most obvious one but perhaps also switching to support mousing over a friendly.
    You could imagine a shift for stealth / shapeshift or mounted combat as well. gw2 did a shift on going under water.

But I'm willing to do all of this manually if one key swaps weapon and any decks (or whatever) all at once.

rild likes this.
  10. Devoid

Devoid Avatar

Dang! *Frowns*
    When I read the title of the thread I pictured the OP was talking about herding cattle on the open range, and thought that he was suggesting separate skill trees for ranchers and farmers.

*Puts a straw of hay in his mouth, tips his hat back and speaks in a drawl*
    I'll just mosey on back to rounding-up this year's calves for branding before the big drive to Owl's Head begins.
    *Loops his rope through his hands and prepares his lasso*
    You guys and gals carry on with whatever it is y'all is do'in!
    *Begins singing to himself* 'Yippy ti yi yo get along little doggies...'

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.