Rare spawns

Discussion in 'General Discussion' started by Zassik Dreadmort, Oct 6, 2015.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Zassik Dreadmort

Zassik Dreadmort Avatar

What are the plans for rare spawn in SotA? I try to stay pretty well informed on what's going on in game but I rarely hear anything about rare spawns/semi-rare spawns etc.

I've heard talk of ultra rare things that may spawn in some far off land on Tuesday under a full moon when the tide is low but what about things like a famous bandit that has something other than two rusty swords and is named "bandit leader"? I hope there's plans to introduce named creatures that you can stumble across or that will spawn when you have the right quest. Whatever the mechanic is, it's nice to occasionally find that camp that has something worth while in it other that more rusty weapons and 12 gold.

2. Razimus

Razimus Avatar

Haven't heard much lately. The rarest spawns I've seen lately involve the add-on store. But in-game, all conceptual, whispers can be heard in dev videos, I think Starr has mentioned them before vaguely. In regards to within PvP areas heh, but I'd be open to them existing everywhere PvE and PvP. Rare spawns are a big motivator for the explorer that has already seen every map. We'll have to find out in-game I'm guessing. Garriott isn't one to introduce such eastereggs in bold text announcements. When I suggest such, half of everyone says Nay. So I guess a blank map with the known resources is good enough for some.

3. Bowen Bloodgood

Bowen Bloodgood Avatar

I believe he's referring to mob spawns rather than resources or décor. Though I had to do a double take and reread the post.

4. Zassik Dreadmort

Zassik Dreadmort Avatar

I'm mostly talking about mobs but rare crafting materials fit into the same topic.

himmelweiss likes this.
  5. Sara Dreygon

Sara Dreygon Avatar

I was thinking that some mobs that spawn in only one place until they die would be exciting.

For instance, a unicorn would randomly spawn in West Ravenswood and stay there until someone stumbled across it and killed it for it's precious horn. Higher end monsters would also be great because one player could stumble onto it and call his guild/friends to come help take it down.

For resources, I'm thinking a rare spawn of ore (for example) would have a random chance to spawn on any ore node but may take a lot longer to mine so they'd have to call a friend to watch their back while they gathered it.

These types of spawns may help to spread players out to areas that don't get many players and keep many players from congregating to the best areas. Would promote exploring and give that exciting "I just hit the lottery feeling".

Thoughts?

6. himmelweiss

himmelweiss Avatar

+1 for named rare mob spawns.

7. Razimus

Razimus Avatar

Diablo style, ok, yeah I'd like to see diablo style rare monsters. In UO "rare spawns" 99% of the time refers to items. Dailies, Monthlies, Random, Server Birth. I snagged a few server births from GL, didn't know they were worth squat. Chucked em outa my bank like they were nothing. One was a pitcher from Buc's Den, one was a crystal ball from Wrong.

8. Earl Atogrim von Draken

Earl Atogrim von Draken Avatar

I am pretty sure that's the plan.
    I am as well sure I read something like that in a dev post or heard it in a hangout.
    But don't know the source, sorry.
    So I might as well be wrong

9. Turk Key

Turk Key Avatar

By their nature, rares would give someone an economic edge. From what I have seen on these boards, if someone was to find such an item there would be an uproar you could not believe. The masses would be so jealous, they would find every point to be made why no one should gain economically. It would be immersion breaking, unfair, and the game would be characterized as for only the elite. I would not blame the devs if they avoided this situation by making sure no rares or valuable drops occurred, albeit to the detriment of the game IMO.

blaquerogue likes this.
  10. Zassik Dreadmort

Zassik Dreadmort Avatar

It all depends on what rare means. I'm mainly talking about named mobs that spawn every certain number of hours/days and have something worth while. They've already stated in some of the discussions that they would love to do super rare resources for the crafting side. I'm wondering if there are plans to do uncommon named mobs or uncommon drops off of mobs. As it stands now I haven't seen anything of use drop from any overland mobs.

11. Turk Key

Turk Key Avatar

I agree completely. I know that I will never kill a deer. The only resource worth anything is the hide. Why chase them when you can kill bears and wolves and such that stand still? It sure would make it more interesting if an occasional loot drop on the deer carcass would occur. I mean people would always be interested in deer hunting. Same goes for all mobs. Mundane chores can be livened up with a little imagination. Maybe a bandit leader could drop a treasure map occasionally.

12. SmokerKGB

SmokerKGB Avatar

Nope, no plans for "rares"... But, there're plans to have crafted loot drops, which I think is better... Anything a crafter sells to a game NPC will end up in the loot tables for all to get...

13. himmelweiss

himmelweiss Avatar

Even UO had rare drops (crafting stuff, weapons, armor etc.).
    It wouldn't hurt to have some rare crafting resources and useable item drops (on named rare spawns) that are weaker than player made stuff.

14. StrangerDiamond

StrangerDiamond Avatar

Deer antlers should make a nice strength potion maybe ? Stuff like that... although I don't condone killing animals for personal gain... a strange thing to teach children...

15. Odyssey2001

Odyssey2001 Avatar

What I would like to see is the following: ( Basic idea ) ( final touches need to be worked on of corse :) )

A wagon being guarded by Thugs and pulled by beast loaded with small piles of gold or what ever..
    When or if you manage to kill the thugs ( They would be more powerful than the average thug is now in the game) before they leave the scene then upon killing them and the beast many small packets of gold would be thrown out for all who is around to pick it up.

This type of thing should happen only a few times a day in random spots at random times..( not predictable )...

IF does not have to be thugs as it can be skeletons too and the beast pulling the wagon can also be smaller type trolls.. in any case - time and more than one person would be needed to take down the wagon and lut so it would make it more fun as players fight not only against the guards and beast but also against the clock as the wagon is moving along out of the scene.

Last edited: Oct 6, 2015
    Zassik Dreadmort likes this.
  16. Zarad

Zarad Avatar

Having rares on a mob is good motivation for ppl like me that love to farm I find it funny that there worried about ppl complaining that something is rare having everybody with the same gear with nothing special/rare makes everthing in the game rather dull, at least include rare craft materials to keep my farming interesting, I prefer farming mobs to questing im weird that way.

17. Sara Dreygon

Sara Dreygon Avatar

You mean you don't like farming wolves for hides, hides, and more hides and would prefer... possibly... a rare hide :eek:.

I don't see why we wouldn't have this... the more varieties of things the better. I can't wait until obsidian is in - that's a rare I can get behind by mining for days and days to accumulate and probably longer to scrape together enough for a sword. Don't get me wrong, less rare stuff like iron is cool and all but I don't feel like mining all weekend so I can make 20 sets of iron plate... if that was what I got out of it then I'd stop doing it.

Ahuaeynjgkxs and Ice Queen like this.
  18. Almighty217

Almighty217 Avatar

I dont get why they cant have the drop system like UO did. Ruin GM force power vanq durable indes etc etc.... even when you had all ind suprem acc vanq it was not impossible to lose 1v1 alot of UO was skill that would make this game awesome but if they are not planning to have rare drops and diff wep armor types to make it more of a variety then it prob wont be any fun and def no fun to go out explorer and lvl skills up

Ahuaeynjgkxs likes this.
  19. redfish

redfish Avatar

Well, first we need animal specific hides ;) So we need a wolf hide before a rare wolf hide.

But we could also occasionally come across a rare animal, like a white version of an animal... white stag/hart, etc. and they'd have a white fur on them. Kind of like shinies in Pokémon.

Spoon and Sara Dreygon like this.
  20. Ice Queen

Ice Queen Avatar

Aye

Last edited: Dec 19, 2015
    Leelu, Sara Dreygon and Lord Baldrith like this.
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.