Rats Nest 3.0

Discussion in 'Player Owned Towns' started by Poor game design, Feb 3, 2016.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Drocis the Devious

Drocis the Devious Avatar

[​IMG]
    Rats Nest 3.0 is now up and running.

524 Available Row Lots with NPC merchants (are ready for testing) until the next wipe.

2. Duke Gréagóir

Duke Gréagóir Legend of the Hearth

are you liking the template better this release?

3. Drocis the Devious

It's better than last release. The flattening of many areas on the template have made town construction of this size much better. However, the trees are killing me. We really need a way to remove them permanently. They get in the way of walls and grow up through houses.

I like the other templates too, but between Grasslands, Island, Pax Lair (x4), and Underground I feel like this is the best representation of what I was looking for.

4. Selene

Selene Avatar

Can't you use a row marker to "mow down" trees? That's how I always do it.

5. Drocis the Devious

Yes, and I do that too. The problem is that with so many row lots (super large city) you get into situations where the trees can't be mowed down because the lots are so close. And it's not like I'm trying to remove every tree on the entire island, some trees make the place look a little better.

But the main problem is with walls. There's a bug. If you mow a tree down with a row lot, then you place your walls, the trees come right back the next time you log in. So you have a wall with a tree growing right through it. :)

I'm told the devs are working on a fix.

6. Satan Himself

Satan Himself Avatar

Baron, with all the recent angst about the land rush, I hope you're able to attract a lot of worried row lot holders to your beautiful town. Looks great!

7. Carlin the Druid Archer

Carlin the Druid Archer Avatar

I love the consistent look of the housing! Looks better than most of the story/npc towns since they have a horrible mix of player housing making them look quite ugly.

Some of the new towns where they put player housing out of site of the main town have worked well though - I hope they do that more, except perhaps row lots.

8. Drocis the Devious

Thank you, sir. It took me quite a while to put it together. I think I may have to take more days off from work after the final wipe.

This is still just kind of a mock up. I hope @DarkStarr puts out the new POT info this week. We haven't had much new information for sooooo long. (I'm still laughing at my own joke right now)

Leelu and Budner like this.
  9. Abydos

Abydos Avatar

Great Job brother !

10. Rufus D`Asperdi

Rufus D`Asperdi Avatar

Impressive, Your Excellency... I may have to come see it in person... in Single Player. :) How many Row Lots did you end up placing?

11. redfish

redfish Avatar

I don't like "permanent", because you should be able to get them back if you really want them. Its not like we'll be able to plant new trees, unless you're talking about add-on trees.

Leelu and KuBaTRiZeS like this.
  12. Drocis the Devious

Thank you, sir. You are always welcome in Rats Nest. (even in multiplayer mode)

524 Row Lots
    1 Keep Lot: Occupied

Leelu likes this.
  13. Drocis the Devious

Ideally we'd have very large "paver" type tree sets to use. Other sizes too, but the idea would be to make very flat templates that could be paved over with trees and roads and such. That would take care of all of this.

Leelu and Miracle Dragon like this.
  14. redfish

redfish Avatar

Yea, did you ever see my post on surveyor's plots,
    https://www.shroudoftheavatar.com/forum/index.php?threads/surveyors-tools.38617/

The OP just goes over the idea of being able to set down plots just for spacing, so we can measure distances. But later on in the thread, I suggest that we be able to also use them for landscaping. So you could go into options and choose, for instance, - Original landscape (with trees) , - Clear trees, - Paved . That way, you could even use them to create roads.

Plus, it would be nice to be able to just set landscaping options on lots, so for instance, to pave the entire space of the lot, or to leave the trees there even, if you like them.

Spoon and Leelu like this.
  15. Sara Dreygon

Sara Dreygon Avatar

I mean... I guess it looks okay but it'd be so much better if you moved that one row lot to the right a smidgen.

Budner, Leelu, Miracle Dragon and 2 others like this.
  16. Drocis the Devious

HA!

I'd love to get feedback from visitors. Good or bad, it's all helpful. Especially if you experience lag. I'm sure @Chris would appreciate a heads up since the POT is probably one of the most hardware demanding scenes in the game.

17. HoustonDragon

HoustonDragon Avatar

Needs more scurvy scalawags! :p

18. Miracle Dragon

Miracle Dragon Legend of the Hearth

Any city I enter, the houses don't show up and it looks like all the lots are empty and for sale.. even the town crier confirms this. Then after a few minutes, they start to show up, and the town crier begins to update the numbers.. :-( that's where i get depressed realizing a seemingly empty town ripe for me to claim a lot turns out to be FULL!...

Anyhow, it's funny to see Ardoris, because the row houses don't even show up, and i can walk across all the empty ground..

Leelu likes this.
  19. Leelu

Leelu Avatar

Baron, that is outstanding work ! You are creating a vivid and enjoyable concept coming to life. I hope your Nest is always fruitful and the mean lean Pvper's paradise is open for business for a long long time.:rolleyes:

20. HoustonDragon

HoustonDragon Avatar

Yikes. Hopefully the optimization will help with some of that. It'd be nice if more was client based versus server, so there'd be less data for your connection to have to load.

Leelu and Miracle Dragon like this.
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.