Re-Look at a seriously old thread, but it should be easier now - printing SOTA 3-D objects

Discussion in 'General Discussion' started by Pifester, Jun 20, 2020.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Pifester

Pifester Bug Hunter

https://www.shroudoftheavatar.com/f...-to-get-your-ingame-item-as-a-3d-print.11287/

Both of my daughters are getting into playing D&D. They asked me to print off their characters for when they play. I showed them where to look for the STL files online, character creators and whatnot, then touched up the files and printed them.

OK, I am a geek as well...I tried my best to "make" my toon, but couldn't quite get him the way I wanted.

Is there any way yo do this? Even hacking him out in the offline version? (somehow)

2. Cora Cuz'avich

Cora Cuz'avich Avatar

I'm not an expert in how game stuff works (I'm in manufacturing) but i think it would depend on how toons are stored. If the game takes all your choices during the creation phase and a"bakes" a 3d toon from that, it should be possible, if you could find where that is stored, and export it from Unity as an STL. But I suspect that if things work that way, it would be a "naked" toon, since gear can be swapped in game. It likely doesn't store a clothed toon anywhere. If you were super knowledgeable with Unity, I suppose you could figure out how to create your toon with the project files, and figure out how to equip it, but that's way beyond my knowledge. Or maybe even create a plugin that exports your equipped character from the offline game. Though, this is all a semi-educated guess as to how things work. I would wager that unless Port built that functionality in themselves, it's likely not possible.

3. Xee

Xee Bug Hunter

To get your toon out they would have to build a capture system. by default the characters are in the stance with arms out. would love it though if there was away as I 3d carve wood.

4. Browncoat Jayson

Browncoat Jayson Legend of the Hearth

Game models don't make very good 3d printable figures. There is a lot of trickery involved to make mostly flat planes look highly detailed in-game. That said, if you could get the FBX model they import into Unity, you could take that out to another modeling program, detail it up, and maybe get something similar as an STL. Not sure how to recover models like that, but I would imagine it would break the EULA to do so.

5. Xee

Xee Bug Hunter

depends on how the model was made. See below is a 3d design I did for my cnc machine. the air ship is one of the ingame assets. its as detailed here as it is in game but a little flatter seeing I am carving onto a board. some games cheat though using textures and shaders to make things look more detailed than the actual model is. They also used optimized versions which lowers the poly / triangle count for faster rendering. So you would want it directly from 3d studio in its original form seeing that is what they develop the models in for SOTA.
    [​IMG]

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.