"Reaching Out-Rising Up" Support Group Every Saturday From 4-5PM CST (9-10PM UTC)

Discussion in 'Recurring Player Events' started by Fionwyn Wyldemane, Aug 23, 2019.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Fionwyn Wyldemane

Fionwyn Wyldemane Avatar

Reaching Out-Rising Up is a self-help support group started by @Justyn04 , Samsara Invictus (@Fireblood )
    and @Fionwyn Wyldemane to provide a safe space for Avatars who are battling depression.

[​IMG]

We will have weekly meetings going forward every Saturday, same time,
    same place: 4PM-5PM CST (9PM-1oPM UTC) in Wolves Den.

We do have a Discord server available for this and future meetings as well as private channels if you prefer to speak to one of us individually. We have posted articles and videos.
    Discord is optional, not required :)

Let us know if you have any questions and we will do our best to answer them or, you can contact us via Forum PM or Discord PM for more information about joining the support group:

Justyn04 – SOTA forums
    Justyn – Discord

Fireblood - SOTA forums
    Samsara – Discord

Fionwyn Wyldemane – SOTA forums and Discord

Thank you to the Shroud of the Avatar community for helping us Reach Out and Rise Up
    *Note - we are not affiliated with the Child Mind Institute

We are not mental health professionals and we don’t claim to have all the answers. The purpose of the support group is to talk about different challenges faced by those who battle depression and offer hope that depression does not have to prevent you from having a full life! Through open discussion and simple sharing of ideas we want to get the message out that you are not alone in your struggle!.
    There will be very simple guidelines to follow:

1. We are not mental health professionals. We can only give support and guidance. We do not offer medical advice of any kind.
    2. Be respectful and considerate towards others. This means “don’t be a dic-”. No bullying, racism, sexism, homophobia or discrimination etc.
    3. You are welcome to share your personal experiences but, refrain from judging the experiences of others. We are all equal in our fight!
    4. Respect the boundaries of others. Do not ask for or give out personal information. No trying to persuade people to follow your religion or God.
    5. Do not try to diagnose or suggest treatment. Do not refer to drugs, drugs therapy or offer to trade medication.
    6. If you’d like to start your own support group, that’s great! However, please do not use ‘ROTA', ‘Reaching Out To Avatars’ -or- ‘Reaching Out-Rising Up’ for any groups, servers or games without asking first!
    7. Finally, NO SPAMMING of the channel with advertising, fundraising, activism, research, or surveys. This also includes advertising your Discord server, website or other community group etc.
    This server is strictly a safe space for anyone who joins it. No begging for gifts, items, money, donations, subscribers etc.
    If your depression has caused you to lose a job, drop out of school, lose touch with family or friends, or if you’ve noticed changes in your sleep and appetite that have not improved, contact one of these free resources to learn more about treating your depression:

Free Hotline Numbers in the US

1. Substance Abuse and Mental Health Services Administration (SAMHSA): 1-800-662-HELP (4357)

SAMHSA’s behavioral health treatment services locator is an easy and anonymous way to locate treatment facilities and other resources, such as support groups and counselors, to treat and manage depression.

2. National Hopeline Network: 1-800-SUICIDE (784-2433)

If your depression is leading to suicidal thoughts, call the National Hopeline to connect with a depression treatment center in your area. The Hopeline also offers a live chat feature for those who don’t want to (or are unable to) call and can dispatch emergency crews to your location if necessary.

3. National Suicide Prevention Lifeline: 1-800-273-TALK (8255)

This national hotline is another valuable resource for people whose depression has escalated to suicidal or other harmful thoughts. Their network of crisis centers provide emotional support and guidance to people in distress and are also available via a chat service and a special hotline number for the hearing impaired: 1-800-799-4889.

4. National Youth Crisis Hotline: 1-800-448-4663

This resource provides brief interventions for youth who are dealing with pregnancy, sexual abuse, child abuse, depression and suicidal thoughts. They also provide referrals to local counseling, treatment centers, and shelters.

5. Veterans: 1-800-273-8255

Connect with the Veterans Crisis Line to reach caring, qualified responders with the Department of Veterans Affairs. Many of them are Veterans themselves.

Last edited: Jan 25, 2020
  2. Sol Stormlin

Sol Stormlin Avatar

This is wonderful! There are so many people out there who struggle with depression and anxiety, trauma, and so many other things. This group is truly a blessing!

3. Bedawyn

Bedawyn Avatar

Is the meeting going to be Discord-only? Or is the Discord just an auxiliary channel to an in-game meeting?

4. Fionwyn Wyldemane

Fionwyn Wyldemane Avatar

Thanks for asking a question I can answer!

Discord is the auxiliary to being in-game. It is not required that you join the server or take part in any discussions there :) It is something we wanted to make available as a safe space for support outside of the game as well as a repository of resource information, inspirational videos, articles, mental health organizations, etc that we come across.

Bottom line - meetings are in-game, Discord is optional.

I hope that answers your question @Bedawyn . Let me know if you have any others! :)

***Edit - I have added "Discord is optional, not required" to the main message!

Spoon, Sonja, Cordelayne and 2 others like this.
  5. Lady Addy

Lady Addy Avatar

This is wonderful. <3

6. Justyn

Justyn Bug Hunter Bug Moderator

To find the meeting room, head to Serpent's Watch. When you enter from the default, main entrance, run down the main road and you'll find my Village Home:

[​IMG]

Go in the front door and to your right you'll find the magic mirror:

[​IMG]

Head down and the sign-post will lead the way! Whisper me in game, and I'll be glad to show you the way before the day so you'll know, OR you can whisper me before the meeting starts and I'll be happy to party up with you and show the way.

Sol Stormlin, Spoon, Sonja and 5 others like this.
  7. Justyn

It's almost time!

Spoon and Fionwyn Wyldemane like this.
  8. Fei Akhart

Fei Akhart Avatar

This is so wonderful! Great idea! :)

Aeryk, Spoon, Sonja and 1 other person like this.
  9. Bedawyn

Bedawyn Avatar

Well, I would have been there... but forgot I wasn't patched until too late. Ah well. :)

10. Fionwyn Wyldemane

Fionwyn Wyldemane Avatar

We will be meeting again next week and the week after etc. It's a no pressure/no drama zone. Come as you are, come when you can <3

11. Justyn

What a great first meeting, thanks to all who attended and all are welcome in the future. Whisper me in game and I'll show you where the meeting room is, and you can come when you're able!

12. Strider99

Strider99 Bug Hunter

What a great Idea. When is the next meeting?

13. Fionwyn Wyldemane

Fionwyn Wyldemane Avatar

Thanks @TaiKee Vetrae and @Strider99 , yes there will be more and all of us who worked on this project to make it a reality appreciate the encouragement :)

The self-help support group is every Saturday from 4PM - 5PM/9-10PM UTC. The plan is for 1-hour meetings, but they may go over depending on how many participants. We aren't punching a clock :)

Last edited: Sep 11, 2019
    Spoon and Cordelayne like this.
  14. Justyn

Just a reminder

15. Browncoat Jayson

Browncoat Jayson Legend of the Hearth

This is amazing, great work Avatars! @Lord British himself would be proud of your selfless works of Virtue.

I've added a community page for your group to SotAwiki. Please feel free to add to it, or send me a message if you'd prefer that I make changes.

Sonja, Fireblood, Spoon and 2 others like this.
  16. Fionwyn Wyldemane

Fionwyn Wyldemane Avatar

Thank you @Browncoat Jayson that means a lot.

I am so very thankful for the opportunity to be a part of the team. More importantly, as someone who has suffered from depression for over 50 years, I can state emphatically that if not for so many people in the SOTA community helping me keep my head above water for part of that time, I might not be here.

Just trying to pay it forward.

Bedawyn, Spoon and Browncoat Jayson like this.
  17. Justyn

Not everyone can commit to every single week. Don't worry, we aren't going anywhere - we'll be here every Saturday!

Big thanks to you @Browncoat Jayson sure appreciate your support

18. Asclepius

Asclepius Avatar

Congratulations on a wonderful initiative - so many people suffer (silently) from depression and other debilitating mental issues. Caring and support ca mean so much. I will give Yu a shoutout in this week’s Echoes ❤️

19. Fionwyn Wyldemane

Fionwyn Wyldemane Avatar

I wanted to send out a reminder that we will be meeting as usual in Serpent's Watch at 4PM CST (9PM UTC). All are welcome to join us!

20. Fionwyn Wyldemane

Fionwyn Wyldemane Avatar

It's another week and another support group opportunity! We are here for you so come if you can, come as you are. <3

Fireblood likes this.
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.