1. Here you will find official announcements and updates. These announcements are also linked in the Official SotA Discord server.
    We encourage comments from the community! To keep the announcements official, we ask that comment threads be created in the General forums for player input.

Thanks!

Release 23 Instructions

Discussion in 'Announcements' started by DarkStarr, Oct 28, 2015.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Drocis the Devious

Drocis the Devious Avatar

Exactly.

Rant ON for anyone that reads the rest of this:

And we have a very low population of pvpers right now. So the feedback is going to be mixed at best. I mean, the people that are "blue healers" are not going to come onto the forums and say "we really need to stop this", it's going to be people that get ganked by a few idiots exploiting the game mechanics, and ya know what's going to happen to those guys? They're going to go into single player mode and just not deal with it anymore.

So this is a mechanic that might make a few people really happy, but it's something that will have a wide negative impact on the game. How do I know? Because this is MMO PVP 101 mechanics we're talking about here. This is pretty well documented in any environment that's ever done something as stupid as to allow protected players to pick and choose when they attack someone.

So here's a question? Is there any benefit to being flagged pvp now? Because you're basically saying "Hello World! Please attack me when I'm not looking!"

Who in the world thought this was a good idea? I remember when this idea was proposed during a hang out, and I was against it then. The devs were against it. But apparently if you ask them in a hang out to make something crazy like this happen, they will just do it. I'm pretty frustrated that this got put into the game. It's not something that we'll have a lot of quantifiable feedback on (until people just stop playing or become blue healers themselves). But it's something that has the potential to undermine any hope of meaningful pvp on a solo level.

Last edited: Oct 28, 2015
    Logain likes this.
  2. Drocis the Devious

Except that you'll never be able to kill two players unless you're much higher level than they are.

3. rune_74

rune_74 Avatar

Oh I think we all know that PoT's were not part of the original kickstarter or even consulted with when being developed for the majority of backers.

Your constant request to remove SPO from the game seems counter intuitive to what the game is trying to be.

4. Waxillium

Waxillium Avatar

Flagged PvP or not, Avatar's should not be able to attack other Avatar's in Guard controlled NPC towns without the Guards interfering. In this way you could be flagged PvP in a town and go about your business without fear that there are no reprisals for random attacks.

Why do the guards do nothing?

saesa, Abydos, Logain and 2 others like this.
  5. Sold and gone

Sold and gone Avatar

Somewhere underground waiting to get you!
    the point of it is that some people have casual friends who do not directly participate in pvp.so if they are in a group, or a group of blues see some one that is their friend, they help him against a one on one scenario. Sure the party gets flagged, but the solo hunter who did see no threat all of a sudden see's 7 threats.

6. Drocis the Devious

I'm sure the guards will eventually do "something". That's not the point. I have a PVP POT with 525 lots. I have a Hamlet that has more lots connected to it. My POT is connected to two other PVP towns. But some joker can just go into single player mode and skip around the NPC guards and that's ok?

No, that's not ok. That's a horrible horrible thing.

7. Waxillium

Waxillium Avatar

It was my point about something I find relevant.

Please continue to worry about invisible people who don't want to play with other people doing things nobody will ever know anything about.

8. Drocis the Devious

Once flagged for pvp, you should not be able to go into single player mode anywhere until you're protected again. And PVP areas would not allow single player mode.

That would be my favorite solution.

9. Sold and gone

Sold and gone Avatar

what I would understand, is the oracle. We all have to flag for pvp. It is one of the dominant traits of the game. Now if some one can flag by not going to the oracle, well that is immersion/story breaking.

Numa, Shade Cido, Logain and 2 others like this.
  10. blaquerogue

blaquerogue Avatar

well if that healer is not a PVPr mostly, then he will be the easy kill, then you go after the harder one. I do see what everyones saying "how come a Non-Pvp just turn PVP then run out of the scene to be reset. I do think there should be a time like an hour or so that he has to stay flagged PVP. that way if he does kill me i have enough time to get the rest of my friends together and go hunt him down! :)

Elwyn and royalsexy like this.
  11. blaquerogue

blaquerogue Avatar

Well if a non pvp gets killed because he decided to temp flag PVP, then there can be no complaints about sheep killing if the sheep jumped into the combat in the first place! "yeah he was an easy kill but he shouldve just stayed out of that battle"!

royalsexy and Ravicus Domdred like this.
  12. Sold and gone

Sold and gone Avatar

its situational, some times it will be cool, but often times you will fall prey to people that hunt in groups. Being this is a single player game that you can have friends adventure with you, its not cool to have a mega guild that are blue pounce on a single person.

Numa likes this.
  13. royalsexy

royalsexy Avatar

I don't normally get into PvP debates, but the Oracle, who is ALWAYS watching, could easily instantly revoke her protection if you do something unvirtuous like attacking someone from a state of protection. On the other hand, anyone flagged this way could be made to run to the nearest Oracle confirmatory to explain themselves to her and beg her protection be reinstated rather just having it automagically come back when they leave the zone. What do you think PvPers?

Elwyn, Numa, Shade Cido and 4 others like this.
  14. Sold and gone

Sold and gone Avatar

I understand that, but its the folks that lay in waiting that are blue, and only attack when there is advantage

15. Sold and gone

Sold and gone Avatar

if this stays, then there should be a serious debuff in place, that would discourage such acts.

16. blaquerogue

blaquerogue Avatar

LOL its called Punishment!

Ravicus Domdred likes this.
  17. royalsexy

royalsexy Avatar

Or a quest they have to complete before the Oracle will protect them?

Numa, Shade Cido, Womby and 2 others like this.
  18. blaquerogue

blaquerogue Avatar

I think PVP is pretty much based around that, rarely in UO was i attacked only by one Red (its was advantageous to attack one person with more than one person) . Its just part of a PVP environment! Great wars were started like that between guilds!

Ravicus Domdred likes this.
  19. Sold and gone

Sold and gone Avatar

depends on which side is getting "punished"

20. Sold and gone

Sold and gone Avatar

that is the reason for going to the oracle. :D

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.