Dismiss Notice
This Section is READ ONLY - All Posts Are Archived

request - harvesting on the OW

Discussion in 'Release 28 Feedback Forum' started by mike11, Apr 18, 2016.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. mike11

mike11 Avatar

I think there is a big potential to add some elements to the OW for harvesting..
    Each player could look for his own 'nodes' on the map, which could come with additional risks, such as being exposed to encounters, I think that would be a good idea, and risky for more valuable harvests, hidden or stealthed players would become visible.
    Super excited to see what kind of PvP elements might take place on the OW, too!

2. SmokerKGB

SmokerKGB Avatar

Ah, sorry, no PvP on the OW...

3. Coconut

Coconut Avatar

SWAG

and

Nope

4. KuBaTRiZeS

KuBaTRiZeS Avatar

Yep, for now nothing on the OW. I hope to have some "resource tracking" skills as the game develops that allows us to look for "not-so-random encounters" that contains resources, and more ways of overland map interaction. It saddens that we're not going to make the most of all the potential the OW has - random encounters are a start and roaming monsters will be something but lots of things could be done. Can only expect that the devs fulfill that as more episodes are released.

5. mike11

mike11 Avatar

It actually makes sense since the is no active PvP in any of the intended PvP areas I am think a more 'visible' type of combat encounter would be spawnable from the OW, and some specific types, could be visible by others.
    The idea comes from a very early release where the Arena's were accessible via a NPC, which was for me, the best PvP this game has seen.
    you can't deny the fact that PvP is basically broken/non-existant right now so anything is better than nothing, really.

@KuBaTRiZeS, so glad you agree with the OW potential and have good ideas too
    ttl

6. Noric

Noric Avatar

Isn't the Overworld shared by everyone when in multiplayer? If so i think this is a bad idea from a technical resource perspective.

Last edited: Apr 19, 2016
    KuBaTRiZeS likes this.
  7. KuBaTRiZeS

KuBaTRiZeS Avatar

I think the Overworld behaves just as another scene, meaning that when there is enough people in it, another instance may be opened to harbor more players. Nonetheless, that's the reason (among some others) why i'm prone to suggest ways of finding additional scenes. The main potential of the OW is that having two layers of land you have infinite land. If you use that asset to create zones rich in resources, discoverable dungeons, an enemy hideout, travelling merchants, PVP ambushes, player camping zones... and a long etc, having an OW is even better that having an open world, because the latter is static, while the former may be a different experience at each step you take.

Some of those may be covered by random encounters... but we're supposed to have just 12 when the time comes to reach persistence. In my opinion, it's just a matter of patience :)

Noric likes this.
  8. Noric

Noric Avatar

Think you and I agree largely on the useful opportunity of the OW. I do hope long term they take a lot more advantage of it though.

KuBaTRiZeS likes this.
  9. SmokerKGB

SmokerKGB Avatar

I think once they start bumping up resources in the PvP areas, you'll see more action there, and I was hoping for an expanded "town siege" scenario, where a random spawn would be placed on the OW showing where the siege forces were building their siege weapons, with peons chopping trees, and miners mining ore... These could easaly be open PvP, so you could either defend or attack their forces and machines before they start their march towards the city they'll attack (basicly a roving PvP encounter that you could see), then the actual town siege could remain as planned...

Maybe for episode 2 or beyond...

mike11 and KuBaTRiZeS like this.
  10. mike11

mike11 Avatar

that would be awesome.

11. Selene

Selene Avatar

This is true. We ran into this problem when we had @Lace 's The New Brittania Breast Cancer Awarenss Biathalon. People were not in the same Overland instance.

That being said, I don't think you should be able to harvest resources directly ON the overland map, but it would be interesting to have roaming mobs that signify a random encounter resource rich spot...

Like a running deer for animal skinning, a Kobold with a mining pick for an ore scene, a Satyr with an axe for a lumber scene, etc.

Noric and KuBaTRiZeS like this.
  12. mike11

mike11 Avatar

maybe as a alternative idea players could 'explore' at any area so that SoTa could starting taking better advantage of the whole dual scale thing with improved creation of generic scenes. It would be hard but it would be worth it if it could make the game feel larger by creating much more generic instances with some sort of meshing of individual scenes around the existing ones.

Fister Magee and KuBaTRiZeS like this.
  13. Alexandra Cornfellow

Alexandra Cornfellow Avatar

Hi Noric,

Thanks for spelling out what 'OW' means. I'm ok with PvP, SotA, etc. But the ole synapses were working overtime trying to figure out what 'OW' meant.

Cheers,
    Cornfellow

Noric and KuBaTRiZeS like this.
  14. Cinder Sear

Cinder Sear Avatar

That sounds really cool.. to be able to spawn a generic instance (similar to the random encounter area), where others could join in, and where you may be able to find some resources..

KuBaTRiZeS likes this.
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.