Request: UO skilling

Discussion in 'Skills and Combat' started by orcscout, Jun 27, 2015.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. orcscout

orcscout Avatar

Is it possible to bring UO skilling system into this game? I mean every other MMORPG out there has levels and point allocation, couldn't you just have follow what every single UO fanboy wants? I'll dare to speak for the rest of us. We demand more UO and less WoW.

2. Weins201

Weins201 Avatar

NNNOOOOOOOO

Ravicus Domdred likes this.
  3. majoria70

majoria70 Avatar

haha, yes he does that sometimes;) he is grumpy weinie, well his old in game character name was that, not mine, so no offense.;) So to elaborate a bit. This idea has been so discussed and debated a zillion times, and not your fault that you don't know this since you are new here. Many are for the UO system, but we so far are not getting it, so here we are. Some don't want to debate it anymore. So anyway If we are having a skill set, I want us to have some cool learning experience associated with getting the skills along with it such things such as I've mentioned before, perhaps visiting the field of flames to learn to be good at casting and using fire. There could be some indepth training you could do that would be interesting trials and quests, and perhaps if you try to use fire before you have sufficiently learned it you could burn yourself bad or die from it. Plus I've also thought perhaps you can't enchant fire on anything until you learn more about it. So we will have richer systems in the future, I'm sure of it, we just don't have them yet, so we keep talking about these ideas until we get to the point where we can get some things implemented. We are seeing so much of just the basic systems right now. So no worries about your ideas, they are terrific and you are not alone in them. **cheers**

4. orcscout

orcscout Avatar

Thanks for your respond majoria70. I tried to search to see if it was discussed before but I didn't find anything I might have not done it correctly. Nonetheless, the developers have seen more receptive to the UO community desires lately; quote
    So judging by Chris answer I felt that there was some chance to be heard and well lets say I got greedy. (I shouldn't have chose the sub-forum thought, not enough activity)

Last edited by a moderator: Jun 28, 2015
  5. Dorham Isycle

Dorham Isycle Avatar

I demand less UO, Less WoW. & more ways to get drunk

6. TEK

TEK Legend of the Hearth

Absolutely agree. At first when I first saw the first screenshots of SotA I thought the whole level number was a joke of some kind . Alas, it seems there is not many games designers anymore who think outside the box of WoW/EQ clones. There is no champions anymore for skill use advancement it seems.

Last edited: Jun 28, 2015
  7. Ao Soliwilos

Ao Soliwilos Avatar

I too would have much preferred a system without levels and also a different skill structure, not to mention more utility/flavour spells. I reckon the latter will eventually come to Shroud of the Avatar, though.

The singleplayer Ultima's had levels, but with a very low level cap if I remember correctly. However, for MMORPG type games that emphasize immersion and classless characters, I think one should use a different system than character levels. I always liked Ultima Online's system, at least during the time I played it, I am not sure of how it's actually been warped over time to what it's like today. Anyway, I do not necessarily want a copy of UO's skill system, but something different from the current point-buy based on levels would be nice. I do not like the kind of skill-tree SotA has either, where you have to put points into stuff you don't necessarily want or use. It feels a little like systems like these purposefully position skills on the tree to force you to waste points.

8. Lord Baldrith

Lord Baldrith Avatar

Yes, skill use gain would be a happy addition to our combat system. 99% of games use leveling systems. At least with the WoW trees, they give my characters more flexibility that what we have now.

9. Borg

Borg Avatar

I'd also like a more UO style skill system, they just stated they don't want to see people macroing in a corner to gain skill/stat points, because it kills immersion.
    They designed this skill/stats tree mob grinding paradise / trainers system, so ok they accomplished their mission, basically breaking the grinding chain in small parts.
    So you are forced to stop grinding in order to allocate your level points in a conveniently far away placed skill trainer.
    The simple level concept is immersion killer for me.
    Ok, no more people macroing in a corner but what about immersion?o_O now the actual level system is immersion killer itself .
    The same way for me its killing immersion when you see tier 1 wolf a tier 2 wolf a tier 3 wolf a tier 4 wolf.
    At least it would be more immersive giving different names to different tier mobs.

Last edited: Jun 29, 2015
  10. Blaze Barkley (RedDeer)

Blaze Barkley (RedDeer) Avatar

Who knows - they might change the way you get skillpoints while keeping the skill trees and glyph system. I guess there is still time for some experimentation :)

11. Otha Livinded

Otha Livinded Avatar

Your not alone orcscout. Latest poll indicates 62% of the active player base who post on this board dislike the deck system.

I find it immersion battering- it takes you away from believing in your character when you start playing cards instead of fighting the monster- and, anyway you look at it, that is a bad thing compared to UO's more elegant, immersive, less intrusive combat system.

In an RPG where you want to harbor belief in your character and the game world, an abstraction like a deck is an extremely poor concept, from my experience as a gaming conceptual artist. It suspends belief.

I would be accepting of any combat system that attempted to be invisible and less obtrusive.

UO had a nice combat system and elegant UI. Sometimes trying to make something that works great by making it shinier and more complex is simply a poor way to proceed.

12. Sold and gone

Sold and gone Avatar

Somewhere underground waiting to get you!
    These forum polls are not accurate or even close. They might get a bit closer but even then I could vote multiple times as I have multiple accounts.

Jordizzle, Logain and Katrina Bekers like this.
  13. Abydos

Abydos Avatar

Yes UO Skills !!!

14. Otha Livinded

Otha Livinded Avatar

The forum polls are much more accurate than your own, single opinion that the deck combat system is swell, Ravicus. Please do not try to discount everyone's opinion except your own. What factual basis do you have for claiming the "polls are not close"? Are you telepathic?

15. Blaze Barkley (RedDeer)

I think some poeple have problems with the naming convention used for the glyph system. I think you only treat it as a card game because of words like "deck", "discard", "draw", etc. The truth is, that when you ignore those words, the system still has sense and doesn't really break immersion. When fighting in real life you have windows of opportunities that let you execute some action. This is what this glyph system really means to me. The glyph that appears randomly in your skill bar is this opportunity that you can use against your enemy. Wait for too long and it dissapears. I think that it only needs slight modifications and some polish to really shine. It is original and it has potential - there's no need to trash it just yet, without seeing it in its final form.

16. Sold and gone

Sold and gone Avatar

I hated all the macroing in that game. Put a weight on your hot key and go afk for a great while. Dont get me wrong though I liked the skills, I just hated the grind. Tek said something I agree with also. If they went to the skill system, Maybe put in the Siege Perilous ROT skill gain system. I would like the skill system used in the existing talent tree And have a limited skill cap so no one person could know everything. They would be forced to choose. I would also not have separate combat/crafting trees. Its fine for single player, but for multiplayer its to overpowered.

17. Sold and gone

Sold and gone Avatar

I personally can vote five times in one poll. It is not opinion its fact. I know many other people that can do this also.

18. Blaze Barkley (RedDeer)

I strongly disagree about connecting crafting and combat trees. What if I want my character to be a legendary crafter and not a fighter? Does it really make sense that I should go and kill monsters, clear dungeons and do a lot of questing to learn how to chop wood faster? To be more efficient with the crafting tools?

Womby and Ravicus Domdred like this.
  19. Otha Livinded

Otha Livinded Avatar

The trouble with the logic in this is that we have a game here with a world and an avatar which is supposed to offer an RPG setting. By including a combat system with this random element, the UI forced the player to move/look away from whatever they are fighting with sword or magic, and deal with the toolbar. Other RPG style games do not ever do this, because, of course, it does destroy your belief in the world and your character in ways that a more invisible system does not.

As a game designer of a lot of years experience, I find the concept very clumsy and poor for this genre of game. It would be fine in a strategy game where you weren't playing a character who owned a home and crafted and adventured. It's jarring to the point of being unplayable to me.

It has nothing to do with the word "deck". It has to do with the cumbersome elements that remove the RPG aspects of believing in the world within which you are playing.

Randomness in gameplay can happen more naturally. It should involve the monster you are fighting. You should need to look for clues within the gameworld itself about how your enemy might react- let chance occur there, not outside of the game world. Your spear passes through the skeleton's ribcage by chance- so, you better pull out that mace.

That is a more accurate way to model chance in a game of this sort- not by randomly being presented with lightning or healing.

At least, that is my opinion- and it's an educated one.

20. Sold and gone

Sold and gone Avatar

I really do see your point. I was only stating that if they went to the skill system. The reason I also stated that is that in the beginning Richard was adamant about the one character per account idea. You only had one character to do everything with. He caved in for some reason and now we have three character slots. So now we will have 3 characters that in time can almost do everything that the other characters on the account can do. It is only a suggestion though. :)

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.