Resolute Courage club

Discussion in 'Player Test Environment (QA Server) Feedback' started by Rinaldi, Aug 23, 2023.

1. Rinaldi

Rinaldi Bug Hunter

Some feedback and comments...

I do not remember the first version of the Courage club, so I can't compare it to the prior version.

I like the way this is implemented: the round room with a wall opening for each opponent has a very convincing "battle arena" look and experience.

For my level character (140's), the time interval between a kill and the release of the next opponent was good (it was long enough to cast a few glyphs or drink a potion, but fast enough to keep the action flowing at a nice pace).

I like that there is some randomization of opponents when you enter the courage club each time, and that some of the opponents have unique identities and character classes.

"The hat" was a nice surprise (but shouldn't "the hat" drop a metal bowl or cauldron in its loot?)

Perhaps some of the Courage Club is an Easter Egg? :)

Some other things:
    1) When i went in the Courage Club hatch the first time (with the key in my inventory), the referee appears as a female. After I completed killing and turned in my coins, i left the courage club and then re-entered. When I re-entered, the referee was sometimes male and sometimes female. Is the referee's appearance supposed to change (perhaps there are different arena instances that have different referees and different opponents)?
    2) I can hold one Courage club key at a time, but i can continue to get a replacement key and fight in the courage club (and get coins) many times a day. However, I can only claim the coin rewards once a day. From your testing directive, it sound like this is the intended behavior.
    3) I died in the courage club, and was resurrected outside the "arena" and near the referee...so this seems to be working correctly.
    4) I could leave the arena early by climbing the ladder. However, I was not able to discern any obvious consequences. The referee did not say anything about it. Perhaps fleeing will decrease your courage virtue?
    5) I could not see any of my battles on the leader board because I think it takes a while for my data to make it there. I like the GUI changes o the leader board.
    6) For the deco minded: I tried to place the coins as deco, but they are quest items and can't be placed as deco.
    7) There was one minor graphical issue i encountered. I suspect that some of the opponents were scaled up in size, which sometimes causes their head to stick up into the nameplate and hitpoint bar above them.

Overall, i think a job well done.

Last edited: Aug 23, 2023
    Anpu, StarLord and Tirrag like this.
  2. Tirrag

Tirrag Avatar

literally can not wait to try this out tonight. thx for the teaser :D

3. Sannio

Sannio Lead Quest and Level Designer Moderator SOTA Developer

The referee is randomized each time the scene starts fresh. Your Courage Club scene must have reset and it randomly changed the referee model. Fictionally, we might assume none of the Courage Club participants, referee included, stay in the area for too long.

Yes, this sounds correct. You can get hold one Courage Club Key at a time, which means one go in the arena per key, but you're allowed to go get another key for another go in the arena as often as you want. Each color of the Courage Club coins have a daily turn-in. (At some point, I may implement a second way for players to use or exchange the coins.)

Yes, this is correct. When we have wave battles where you are locked in the wave battle room, we make sure the Ankhs resurrect you outside the combat area.

If you leave before defeating the 5th enemy (the first "named champion"), you'll get a system message indicating the referee is frowning and if you talk to the referee they will say "I am obligated to mention that you recently exited the arena before the fifth challenge."

If you beat that 5th enemy, you've proved your worth and the referee will be happy.

Leaderboards only show results from the Live server. QA doesn't generate leaderboard data. I'll have to update my testing directive with that information. (But you can still go to Courage Club on the Live server and challenge the first 5 enemies in the old arena to get yourself on the Leaderboard.)

I want them to be deco items, but I don't have that set up yet.

I'm glad you like it, and thanks so much for all the feedback!

Anpu and FrostII like this.
  4. Gwendolyn Obscuro

Gwendolyn Obscuro Bug Hunter

I really like the new configuration for the room. When it was an ever expanding rectangle the only indication that the fight was over was that the enemies stopped coming. That may still be the main indicator here but you can also tell there are no more cubbies to open up. Great job Sannio! Also enjoying the named opponents, Red Slash Bandit made me chuckle.

Anpu and Sannio like this.
  5. Belladonna Rose

Belladonna Rose Bug Hunter

Absolutely love it. Great job.
    My only question is do all the different clubs have different mobs. I just did Westend and they were totally different from the ones in Resolute.
    Other than that i am please and its very interesting to see how well i can do. Tried to keep fighting with just me....got to the Gold stage and cheated...called a pet. hehe. But it was fun none the less. This should keep some folks busy for a while collecting coins.

Beaumaris likes this.
  6. FrostII

FrostII Bug Hunter

Is having a pet "cheating" ?

7. ConjurerDragon

ConjurerDragon Avatar

Depends on perspective and set of rules. I could easily see that a Courage Club with a strict 1 vs. 1 rule ("Two man go in, one man goes out" like in Mad Max´s Thunderdome) would find use of elementals or pets undesirable. I

8. Belladonna Rose

Belladonna Rose Bug Hunter

Well the referee did not shide me for the use of a pet. So i guess it was ok. But since it is my standard way of playing atm i would say its fair game. At least i got through pretty far before pulling the pet out. The final two were deep dark orange to me ...almost red. So i got pretty far without the pet

9. Sannio

I just set this up. Details on "Commemorative Coins" are at the bottom of the testing directive. It'll probably take a day or two to make it to the QA server.

The TLDR is you can trade the same number of looted coins for a spinning deco version instead of for gold and experience.

Beaumaris, Anpu and Rinaldi like this.
  10. Sannio

All the clubs use the same enemies, but they're randomized so it seems like there are different ones popping up at different places. I don't have any plans to have unique enemies in any city, but some day I think it would be fun to encounter some of these challengers outside of Courage Club.

Pets are apparently allowed by Courage Club rules, although I decided there will always only be 1 NPC challenger at a time.

Beaumaris and Anpu like this.
  11. Tirrag

Tirrag Avatar

ok ive made my runs. first, thank you for taking the time to revamp this system! it is much more challenging now and will challenge players at a wide range of levels.

love the new layout. the way it works feels like being in a gladiatorial arena.

love the new enemies and tiers. i think the higher levels will challenge a much wider range of players which is awesome. for me personally, i challenged Courage Club with two of my chars. i will start by saying most of my builds/decks are geared specifically for one-on-one PvE combat so my experience may not be the experience of the masses.

the first is a player that i purposely limit to 80 on all skills. he is a heavy/earth spec and i used blades for the combat. i didnt really try very hard with defense but i was able to breeze through pretty easily.

the second player is a light/pole spec and is in the 140s in primary skills. again it went pretty easy without really using a lot of defensive skills.

the end result is that it wasnt much of a challenge for me personally, but i do feel its going to be awesome and challenging for many. i found myself wanting one more elite level, maybe a bigger hitter for the top tier boss, or faster health regen. maybe in a further iteration the ep2 lands can have courage clubs where the bottom tier is the top tier of Novia.

collected and turned in all coins successfully with no issues.

i went to the oracle and asked about courage club. i got the initial information but was told that i need to keep coming back over time to know more.

i checked out the leaderboards. i like the new features, though as mentioned my data was not in there since the leaderboard data doesnt update with staging.

again, fantastic update! thank you for taking the time to revamp this system. i look forward to its release and to see where it goes in the future :)

Beaumaris, Sannio, FrostII and 3 others like this.
  12. Alley Oop

Alley Oop Bug Hunter Bug Moderator

it wouldn't show anyway. the new caching means the window won't re-download the data every time it's opened, but the server process to integrate the new data is not that often.

FrostII and Anpu like this.
  13. Anpu

Anpu Avatar

I've ran through this a few times and this is just perfect Sannio, thank you for just re-vamping this area to be more currently up to date! This area now provides a good progression type activity, as well as a daily quest and rewards. Also the new named bosses are really fun to discover :D (That was a really nice touch! Loved Doctor Plague! :D ).

This will be now a really decent area for lower level players to practice their combat abilities, a character progression goal and get some rewards. Well done! :)