Dismiss Notice
This Section is READ ONLY - All Posts Are Archived

[Responded] Cursor overlaps tooltips on lower resolutions, obscuring text

Discussion in 'Release 44 Bug Forum' started by redfish, Aug 15, 2017.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. redfish

redfish Avatar

Reproduction rate: 100% Blocker? No

Details:
    Although on higher resolutions the tooltip is spaced a way from the cursor, on lower resolutions they overlap and the cursor blocks out part of the text.

Example, with the game windowed at 700x413,
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

Here's the same issue with the skill tooltips on the right,
    [​IMG]

In this case I can't see the level number unless I move the cursor down, which also makes the tooltip disappear. With regard to the skill tooltips, I've noticed that the the exact position of the tooltip depends on the position of the window on my screen.

Steps to reproduce:
    At a lower resolution, move the cursor over an interactible object to bring up the tooltip.

Last edited: Aug 15, 2017
  2. Lexie

Lexie Bear Queen Emeritus

I don't think there is much that can be done about that. Smaller resolutions on larger monitors often have unintended side effects. It's gonna have to crunch it if forced to...

3. redfish

redfish Avatar

@Lexie,

Its really based on the logic the game uses to render everything. Just as a simple example, if the tooltips were placed above the cursor instead of to the bottom right, the problem wouldn't crop up at all; they would always be positioned correctly in respect to the cursor. There are reasons the tooltip is typically bottom-right, though I'm not sure how well they apply to SotA. Alternatively, the game could push out the tooltip even further to the bottom right to move it away from the cursor when the resolution is lowered in window mode, but I'm not sure if that's desirable. You could also just move the tooltip from the bottom-right to the top when the game is windowed and the window is below a certain size, to avoid this edge case. Theoretically, you could also make the cursor start to become smaller so it doesn't block the cursor but that's not as easy and I don't know if that's desirable either.

But, in any case, the way the rendering logic works now, it does produce buggy behavior when the window size is reduced.

Last edited: Aug 20, 2017
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.