Dismiss Notice
This Section is READ ONLY - All Posts Are Archived

[Responded] roaming corpses

Discussion in 'Combat, Skills, & Magic' started by The Hendoman, Oct 31, 2017.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. The Hendoman

The Hendoman Avatar

1. Title:corpses roam around after death and are lootable
    2. Reproduction Rate: once a month i guess
    3. Blocker? no
    4. Details: there's a video
    5. Steps to Reproduce: kill something. i'm using polearm and earth spells mostly
    6. User Specs: in signature - basically a crap system. but still runs this well ;) thank you, Devs ! :)
    https://www.shroudoftheavatar.com/f...ing-and-attacking-me-rather-slowly-o-0.90778/

Sorry I'm late in getting this in the right area.

THE HENDOMAN

2. Turk Key

Turk Key Avatar

Very common in my experience too. Looting is possible if you run up along side of them, but skinning won't work as they slide away before you can finish.

3. Rentier

Rentier Avatar

only happened in plains road encounter for me so far with the bandits (2 out of 8 doing death robbing)

4. Lexie

Lexie Bear Queen Emeritus

This seems to be somewhat rare but intermittently I can repro it. I'm looking for a most highly repro-able scenario for a bug report. I suspect it is the timing of what the mob is doing exactly during the fatal strike, but I am not certain.
    I tried the plains road encounter @Rentier but perhaps my timing was off. I'll continue to look for the most 'easiest' way to repro this one.
    @The Hendoman

FrostII and Rentier like this.
  5. The Hendoman

The Hendoman Avatar

re: above video, @Lexie next time i catch a vid, i'll try to keep the comnbat log open...

THE HENDOMAN

Rentier likes this.
  6. Traveller13

Traveller13 Bug Hunter

I've seen this on occasion in several scenes. It has happened the most in the plains road encounter with the bandits. Could there be a sync issue between the client and the server during the death blow? The client has the NPC as dead, thus neutral, and lootable. The server sees the NPC as neutral, but alive, thus entering the patrol pattern. The fact that it is dead never gets back to the server.

This being a variant of the attacking-corpses-that-can't-be-damaged bug.

Rentier likes this.
  7. Ameresta Trilon

Ameresta Trilon Avatar

Monkeys in krul have been doing this for at least the last three releases ... @Lexie

FrostII likes this.
  8. Lexie

Bug #: 52775 created.
    I've been watching this one (collecting all the info I can) for awhile now. It can take me hours of combat to repro just once, and even then it rarely happens.

I've added all the info I can, including possible theories that were proposed, to this bug #.
    @The Hendoman

The Hendoman, FrostII and Rentier like this.
  9. Lexie

Sticky-ing because this bug is one of 'those bugs' that we know is happening but is a pain-in-the-you-know-what to get to the heart of.

FrostII and Rentier like this.
  10. oplek

oplek Avatar

I spent a couple hours trying to test a hypothesis. It happened when I killed one of the "freaking-out" bandits (where they seem to go jittery, spinning around, not really able to attack). Took awhile to find another one, but I didn't reproduce. Maybe my timing was off.

11. Arkah EMPstrike

Arkah EMPstrike Avatar

Is it possible they are killed mid-emote before they actually agress, and then the game ends their emote and returns them ot patroll? or there is alg at jsut the right moment as they de-agro and return to thier patrrol path

12. Traveller13

Traveller13 Bug Hunter

I had this happen in R48QA with a grey wolf in the Highvale Outskirts. This was near one of the pit traps with meat hanging over it. The wolf corpse would repeatedly slide into the pit, then teleport back outside the pit a few meters, then slide back in. I don't recall anything special about the combat that would trigger this.

During R48QA, I also encountered a bandit behaving as oplek describes. It came over to the combat then started doing its own thing. That could be a bug in and of itself. Anyway, I killed it and it stayed dead and properly motionless.

13. Hornpipe

Hornpipe Avatar

Beware the rabbits.

14. The Hendoman

The Hendoman Avatar

[​IMG]

here's a combat log that made a rafnserker (might want to check the Yosemite Sam copyrights btw) roam after death . I was in autocombat to swing and hm.... doesn't show in the log if the glyphs were stacked. ah well. something to add later

[​IMG]

This is the weapon i was using just in case. I see i didnt have the other combat logs enabled. Sigh. Next time on me.

Hey, guess what you can't do? Hold CTRL to show expanded weapon stats and take a screenshot by default.

I see in the r48 release notes this line : Sliding Bodies: In previous releases, NPCs that died with existing waypoints or schedules queued would appear to slide on the ground. This has been fixed for R48

are they linked? cuz they might not be fixed if it happening to corpses still in r48 @Lexie and thank you - i don't know if I needed to tag you or not, this seemed more than a me too post)

THE HENDOMAN

Last edited: Nov 17, 2017
  15. oplek

oplek Avatar

I think it's the same thing... but it doesn't seem to have been fixed.

I've been looking for a pattern. Up to before this point, I've seen:

1) Bandit killed when doing some kind of emote -> sliding body
    2) Bandit killed when "freaking out" -> sliding body
    3) Villager killed when opening door, walking through, stopping, closing door -> sliding body
    4) Bandit, who was alerted to my presence, but was killed while "casually walking" towards me -> sliding body

The common pattern seems to be when they are slain while doing non-combat things. Since most combat happens in a combat context, it's rare. The trouble has been reproduction, because even the above 4 appear to be more flukes.

My recent discovery was that I found a hotbet of the instance... Solace Bridge Outskirts. I've countered it here more than anywhere else... by a clear mile. In particular, where the ritualists are.

The Ebon dawn ritual assistants are easiest to elicit the phenomenon, but I've had very high incidences of random skeletons or bandits roaming around too... particularly the ones walking around between the two ritual blood stones (those I reproduce maybe 50% of the time, especially the skeleton that spawns on the wooden walkway, if it's surprise-killed)

Half the time when I kill an assistance, they enter a "freakout" mode (for lack of a better term). The trick seems to be to catch them when they're moving toward the ritual blood stone.. particularly, the one next to the fountain.

Aside from accidental incidents, I think I have a fairly reliable way of reproducing the corpse-sliding.

Setup:
    1) Be an archer, and be high level. You want to be able to kill an assistant quickly and from a distance - preferably one-shot.
    2) Go to the sacrifice stone by the water fountain. Stand off by the statues or the entrance/exit towards the other stone. You want to be at a bit of a distance, as to not alert them.

Process:
    1) Kill everything in the immediate area, including the assistants and Valdis.
    2) Wait until the assistants respawn.
    3) Quickly target and kill one that is walking *towards* the stone (they start a few paces away).
    He has to be killed *before* reaching his kneel-spot next to the stone. He spawns next to the fountain.​
    4) The corpse will start sliding.

When I can execute the above, I've reproduced it 4 out of 4 times. It sort of works on the assistants at the other stone, intermittently... but their navigation seems different in nature. They often are walking in random directions initially, instead of towards their kneel-spots.

I've had my fill of Solace Bridge Outskirts for awhile.

Rentier likes this.
  16. oplek

oplek Avatar

I'd like to add that I patched to 697 and this was still reproducible.

17. Aurelius Silverson

Aurelius Silverson Avatar

Happening to my archer too, on 696 and 697, in both Highvale and Highvale outskirts, and all types of creatures - kobolds, bandits, wolves, pretty much anything will occasionally keep sliding across the map when 'dead', in some cases obviously following their pre-programmed 'walking' routes.

18. Rentier

Rentier Avatar

@Lexie I might have found a special sauce to repro it:

in this location
    11/18/2017 3:23 PM
    SotA.EarlyAccess.LIVE.Win.64.697.Date.11.17.17
    Area: RandomEncounter_Plains01_Road/HumanBandits_Tier2
    Area Display Name: Plains Road Encounter
    Loc: (-42.8, 35.6, 16.0)
    Debug: UmFuZG9tRW5jb3VudGVyX1BsYWluczAxX1JvYWR8SHVtYW5CYW5kaXRzX1RpZXIyfCgtNDIuODIsIDM1LjYwOSwgMTUuOTc3KXwoMCwgMC45ODUsIDAsIC0wLjE3Mil8OTQ0LjQ4NDZ8Ny44MjU0MjV8MS4yNQ==

You must be able to oneshot the bandit going his tour (waypoints) unaware of me while i kill him (ranged attacks help - in my case bow with crit is instakill for this Tier2 guys))

then he starts moving around on his patrol as dead body till i loot him - worked 3 times in ar ow, the other were not oneshotted or were aware of me and attacked

19. CatherineRose

CatherineRose Avatar

The roaming after death happened to me again as well in Twins Falls when killing the thugs.

20. Widsith [MGT]

Widsith [MGT] Avatar

Saw a lot of this in new Understorm mine with elves. If you get in front of the corpse's path, you can still loot it!

ETA: @Rentier might be onto something with the one-shot kill (while NPC is still on idle) theory. I didn't specifically notice that, but I was definitely an overkill for the scene while exploring, so a number dropped on a one-shot. Will keep an eye out...

Rentier likes this.
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.