Richard Garriott interview on WarCry

Discussion in 'General Discussion' started by smack, Nov 11, 2013.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Jatvardur

Jatvardur Avatar

Didn't think of that. I'm guessing there will be a cool down timer though. That would mitigate some of the problems...

...but if you pack up your house and deed then you lose your space and someone else could take it?

2. jondavis

jondavis Avatar

Once we get boats I hoping we can smuggle or move large amounts of goods.

That is a good question.
    I think we have to sell the lot before someone else can use. Not sure.
    But you could have another house deed to put on the land.

3. LoneStranger

LoneStranger Avatar

Ha, I was thinking about this a couple hours ago; using the house to transport massive amounts of items from one side of the world to the other. Trying to come up with a way to close that loophole that don't throw a wrench on the system.

I like the idea of being able to pull items out of the deed without having to place on a lot. It would be real inconvenient to have an item stuck in your deed because you can not currently afford a lot. Having the deed be an 'ethereal' item, meaning it's not an actual item you carry would resolve it, if you tied it to the bank or other location. You can get whatever you want from the deed if you are at your bank.

As Rampage202 said, make it an item you can't drop if it's quest-based. SWTOR actually had a secondary inventory for special quest items.

4. Korrigan

Korrigan Avatar

And you're a Knight, which really worries me...

BillRoy likes this.
  5. Joviex

Joviex Avatar

Which is why i dont follow the logic. Then what is to say your inventory, that you dont pay for anymore, had items in overflow. Why can't those be saved into the database as well as overflow?

i.e. if they are not lost for your non-paid for house, why wouldnt they do the same here?

Its an exercise in logic now that we have a statement saying it wouldnt be that way anywho =)

Bramagola likes this.
  6. LoneStranger

LoneStranger Avatar

Would could assume they use the same method as the housing deed. If you don't pay for your inventory slot, then it dumps the items in a deed-like parchment in your bank. But yes, academic now. :)

7. Kilhwch

Kilhwch Avatar

So... did anyone want to talk about Control Points at all?

I played Tabula Rasa, and the thing that most stuck out in my mind (aside from some intro fiction I read, which involved a guy having coffee or lunch with his girlfriend when the aliens attacked) was the creature 'spawning' which occurred when drop ships flew in and aliens popped out. I don't recall the control point mechanic much.

I like the idea of control points, but will we be fighting to take them from NPCs? Each other? Guilds? What possible bonuses could these points confer?

LoneStranger likes this.
  8. cs2501x

cs2501x Avatar

I think this might be helpful for you: http://tabularasa.wikia.com/wiki/Control_Point :)

9. PrimeRib

PrimeRib Avatar

My assumption is that they basically work like every other game with an objective capturing system. Warhammer, DAoC, gw2, lineage2, etc.

Something being captured then becomes owned by that faction for all instances. I'd like to see them lock down things like mines or some other resources.

I'm not expecting too much for the PvP in this first release. Just keep it simple and make it not fail.

I like the idea of things owned by guilds, but there would have to be a real benefit. So it's possible that this would only matter for something bigger like a castle.

10. LoneStranger

LoneStranger Avatar

Unfortunately, there are many gamers who will go 'meh' for too simple of a system and leave, and not give it another chance. I think you have to make an initial strong statement, even if you do plan to refine it later.

11. Dermott

Dermott Avatar

Thanks for the clarifications Starr!

Next on my concern with Inventory expansion (for a price) would be how restrictive the Inventory is to begin with. Basically, IMO, the game should be able to be completed with the default level of inventory space (backpack(s) + "bank"/stash) and allow for a decent amount of extra "keepsakes" or other things kept in inventory. Extra inventory space if purchaseable should probably be limited to bank/stash and simply be a nice "extra", not something people will think they absolutely have to have in order to play the game.

Case in point, I bring forward Path of Exile (again) because of the way they have their system set up. Since PoE is initially free, they rely much more on micro-transactions than SotA in theory would. In PoE, you get a stash of 4 tabs of 144 slots each (items range from 1 slot to 8 (2 across, 4 down) in size) and can buy extra tabs beyond that. Given the nature of the game, if you play a single, focused character and keep your stash culled, the 4 tabs are easily enough. However, if you run multiple characters and in different leagues (when leagues end or you die in Hardcore leagues, you character and stashed items are sent to Standard (soft-core)), you find yourself running out of space relatively quickly thus the greater need to buy more tabs.

Since we will have 1 character in SotA, there won't be the same "shared stash" as in PoE and less of a need to expand that much... UNLESS the character is going to take more of an interest in the MMOG/persistent world portion of the game. Crafters and merchants will most likely feel the need for greater storage which will come into play either through housing or the need to expand the bank/stash size.

So basically, please keep stash space in mind when considering how to manage the "purchase inventory expansion" option so that it's only an extra, not a necessity.

12. Kilhwch

Kilhwch Avatar

This would include me.

I read the wiki before posting, cs2501x; I was hoping to start some discussion other than people talking about the proposed payment models. I left it open-ended, trying to gauge people's interests in PvP and capture mechanics.

For instance, what kinds of rewards would people be keen on seeing? Crafting bonuses? Guild XP and advancement? Hanging your banner outside for all to see?

13. Drocis the Devious

Drocis the Devious Avatar

I thought the article was interesting. I wish there was more about PVP (and something about stealing from other players) but I don't really see what the big fuss is all about.

The whole $5-10 a month for rent (while still being able to use in game money for it) seems perfectly reasonable to me. Good article.

14. Deathblow

Deathblow Avatar

Will I recive My Disarm-Thiefy-Weapon- Stealing-Grasps ?

15. Ao Soliwilos

Ao Soliwilos Avatar

There were some interesting things in that interview, thank you for posting it. Among such were the control points, cross-purpose "quests" and recycling of crafted items with titles. I very much enjoyed his attitude towards todays oversimplification of games, as it is my own opinion as well. I wish more developers these days challenged players, like the game Dark Souls. Make games interesting.

16. Leom_Tanith

Leom_Tanith Avatar

I hope we will also be able to pay our rent with in-game cash. If not, I may be roleplaying as a vagabond in SOTA.

17. Floors

Floors Avatar

I thought the slum idea that some guy posted about in the comments section of Polygon was a really great idea. Give players with nothing access to really crappy housing, but it makes them feel like they too, have a house and one day they can move up into a big Knight's castle or Edelmann house :D

BillRoy likes this.
  18. Koldar

Koldar Avatar

LB answered this question earlier in this thread.

Richard Garriott interview on WarCry

19. Leom_Tanith

Leom_Tanith Avatar

I didn't get a chance to read the entire thread (as of yet). Cheers mate.

Koldar likes this.
  20. Kilhwch

Kilhwch Avatar

Yeah, I am looking forward to more PvP info and the 'Subterfuge' tree. Anything involving guilds, capturing contol points, sieges, siege weaponry (crafting trebuchets, ballistas, scorpions, catapults, etc.), would be cool to find out.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.