Dismiss Notice
This Section is READ ONLY - All Posts Are Archived

Richard Garriott - why do we have breakable containers?

Discussion in 'Release 17 Feedback' started by Poor game design, May 25, 2015.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Drocis the Devious

Drocis the Devious Avatar

Why do we have breakable barrels and containers? What purpose does it serve?

When I go into most scenes, all of these containers are already broken. When I occasionally break one of these items myself, it rarely has anything in it or serves any noticeable purpose.

I'm reminded of Donkey Kong more than I am having fun with this mechanic. Personally, I'd like it removed. But if not removed, I'd like it to be enhanced and more immerssive than it currently is.

The idea of having barrels of liquids like Ale is an attractive one. Being able to smash barrels and see all the Ale pour out sounds like fun. But in this example, it's only immerrisve if the barrels are more dynamic and have some purpose other than just casually smashing them. A purpose worthy of my time might be if the barrels were used in long distance trade or long term storage.

Please consider this feedback and request for change.

Thank you!

2. Ristra

Ristra Avatar

It's to scare the skin off of you when you have the volume too loud. Or at least that was how it was in R1.

3. Bowen Bloodgood

Bowen Bloodgood Avatar

It's very possible they're only place holders..

Chatele, Logain, Gaelis and 1 other person like this.
  4. Drocis the Devious

Yep, that's would be nice to know, as well as what they're place holders for.

I got the impression that someone on the dev team really likes these breakable containers though, and since they currently (we're in R17 now) lack in the purpose department, I thought I'd ask what the deal was.

5. Lained

Lained Avatar

Maybe the destruction of property negatively affects your virtue.

6. Bowen Bloodgood

Bowen Bloodgood Avatar

For other breakable containers? :) or actually usable containers that are also breakable?

So.. you planning on surpassing my post count today? ;) You're almost >< there.. I didn't think anyone was going to catch up. lol

7. Bowen Bloodgood

Bowen Bloodgood Avatar

Yeah but right now there's no other way to look inside. :)

8. Sir_Hemlock

Sir_Hemlock Avatar

Unfortunately i recently read or heard somewhere from the devs breakable crates/barrels are a permanent addition since some of them think 'hulk smash' is fun.

Either way, if we want to be pedantic you would realistically have to break open sealed crates etc (but not in the current explosive manner).

I'd prefer they just be used as regular containers and not smash or explode, but oh well.

9. Beaumaris

Beaumaris Avatar

Donkey Kong, brilliant idea. Add an ape pet with a two handed hammer, please!

10. Selene

Selene Avatar

I wish they would make them stealable instead of breakable... I could use some in my storeroom.

11. CaptainJackSparrow

CaptainJackSparrow Avatar

Captain Jack ponders, why are containers breakable in real life? Immersion?

Captain Jack believes if this is to be a sandbox game, not only are these a must but a lot more world interactivity on top of it.

Chatele likes this.
  12. Bowen Bloodgood

Bowen Bloodgood Avatar

It will be nice when they're also craftable. :)

SeleneNoctua, Acred and Gaelis like this.
  13. Quenton

Quenton Avatar

LORD BRITISH FORGIVE MY FRIEND

He did not intend to ignore the hierarchy and demand an answer from all the way at the top! I am sure he will be satisfied with an answer from any of your esteemed followers!

14. Lord Andernut

Lord Andernut Avatar

Also - Why do we have chairs we can sit in when they don't give us any loot?!

Really - it's just interacting with your environment. I'd like to see perhaps a virtue penalty for smashing up other folk's crates and barrels, but I don't mind that I can interact with my environment and break something if the mood strikes me. Having an NPC comment on it when you break one or call the guard if you keep breaking them would be a nice touch.

I admit I clicked this thread from just seeing Richard Garriott in the title, perhaps that was the intent, but a call to remove interaction with the environment was not what I was expecting. I know I've played other games where you can break stuff for reasons other than loot. Sometimes people run up and smash crates, there's no real reason to reward it or encourage it, it's just nice to have the interaction.

Is your issue that you don't want to smash crates and barrels - or is it that you don't like other people smashing them?

Chatele and Amber Raine like this.
  15. Drocis the Devious

When you sit in a chair there is purpose.

When you break a crate there is not. But unlike sitting in a chair, crates change the scene permanently as if to say "look at this pointless interaction!"

Sir_Hemlock likes this.
  16. Lord Andernut

Lord Andernut Avatar

I see this the same way as I see skeletons - I like evidence of other players in the game and leaving their mark on the world. Sure, you and I think breaking stuff is pointless - but people break stuff all the time and some people find it fun. I think it's a bit amusing because MMO's and a lot of games in general encourage players to break every crate on the offchance (or greater than offchance) there is loot - in SotA we don't reward them with loot - people will figure it out. And obviously despite thinking breaking a crate is pointless, there are certainly those who are breaking the crates - and they're the ones writing them off, so they must know why they do it.

I do prefer a herd of dead boxes to a herd of dead sheep. But I like to think there are future consequences to busting up stuff or murdering someone's livestock.

Consequences will hopefully lead to less of this rampaging behaviour. Or quicker respawns.

Chatele and Sir_Hemlock like this.
  17. Katrina Bekers

Katrina Bekers Localization Team

The rationale is to find mimics.

18. Amber Raine

Amber Raine Community Ambassador (FR)

Pointless interaction to whom? Sometimes it just feels good to get your aggression out on inanimate objects. . They don't whine when you smash them and they don't kill you. . Although that would be a fun idea!

Death by splinter!

19. Lord_Darkmoon

Lord_Darkmoon Avatar

I, too don't like breaking crates. Maybe we should get the option to either break or open them.

Sir_Hemlock likes this.
  20. Duke William of Serenite

Duke William of Serenite Avatar

Well at least you got a straight answer. The devs like 'HULK SMASH and you have breakable containers.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.