Riding / Mounts early on

Discussion in 'Skills and Combat' started by Araminus, Dec 12, 2013.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Rufus D`Asperdi

Rufus D`Asperdi Avatar

I can hear O'Sullivan screaming "FREEDOM!" already. ;)

(Apologies for conflating the scotsman and the irishman. ;) )

2. Sundews

Sundews Avatar

I want to fly on a dragon.

3. Dorham Isycle

Dorham Isycle Avatar

The plan has always been, Get the game playable as soon as possible & add content later.

4. Golem Dragon

Golem Dragon Avatar

we don't need a game with every aspect of things we like from other MMOs in this game... the whole point of the overworld map/dual scale map system in general is to speed up travel time and avoid the need of mounts and fast travel, etc.... this game is to be a reinvention of previous elements in games as well as creation of new things... With the ease of getting around the towns in the first 3 pre-releases i see no need for mounts within a town itself to get around and we have no testing yet of the overworld map.... why not try this great concept of actually trying a feature when we can test it before already judging it as a failure and demand changes.....

Time Lord likes this.
  5. Crikey

Crikey Avatar

I don't mind waiting till Episode II, for the arrival of mounts. It gives us something extra to look forward to.
    If the Overworld map means we don't need mounts at all, I'm happy with that too.
    I agree that there must be a lot of programming, to get mounts 'right', so if Portalarium spend those man-hours, polishing the basics of the game instead, I think it will be time best spent.
    Then, Portalarium could have a little sub-group of designers spend 6+ months working on mounts, to include them later, as a polished piece of programming.
    -

Time Lord likes this.
  6. Wagram

Wagram Avatar

After R4 and seeing the overland map, I think horses would be a pointless waste of design time and resources.

Time Lord and fumblefingers like this.
  7. Duke Gréagóir

Duke Gréagóir Legend of the Hearth

I think the mount coconut shellswill fit the bill for me for Episode 1!

I have physical pair of the coconut shells from the Monty Python and the Holy Grail Musical National Tour!!! I HAD to get that as a souvenir of that fine musical!

Time Lord likes this.
  8. Sundews

Sundews Avatar

Dragon mounts, Episode 2 = Happy Camper

9. Floors

Floors Avatar

Combat Pet : Daemon

Time Lord and Hati like this.
  10. High Baron O`Sullivan

High Baron O`Sullivan Avatar

"One of the features we all wished we had enough time and budget for was the addition of mounts in Episode 1, but it just isn’t in the cards. However, we have raised enough funds to give all backers the next best thing: coconuts that sound like horses when banged together! You even get to pantomime trotting around like a horse while you bang them!"
    [​IMG]

I hope this is an April Fools joke, and we are getting Episode 1 mounts. Either way this is ridiculously funny.

11. Hati

Hati Avatar

Just throwing this out there, the Polar Bear as a mount ( yes i know it was a statue) is still hands down the coolest mount on any game. I personally would want mounts the same reason everyone does, more speed and something else to deal damage. ------If you didn't read between the lines, Im saying give us murderous bears for mounts!!!!

Time Lord, DimwitTheWise and Bure like this.
  12. Bure

Bure Avatar

I like the idea of having mounts that go into your backpack when you enter a town/instance because there is not really a need for them there. I also enjoyed that anniversary gift from UO when you could select a new ethereal mount

Time Lord likes this.
  13. Senash Kasigal

Senash Kasigal Avatar

No, thats a thing that i dont like.
    No ethereal mounts, please.
    Unmount and attach to a hitching post or stable.

Time Lord and DimwitTheWise like this.
  14. fumblefingers

fumblefingers Avatar

I personally like most of your post, down to earth in funny way. I don't seem to have that gift. As much as i have always loved having a mount in other games and Ultima, I can't see the point here. In R4 it was banged home a mount would be pointless. No over land exploring. Each hex will be like jumping from one fish bowl to the next. Some say get the game playable then add content. I guess i'm not seeing the bigger picture, how or what does one do if there isn't any content to begin with.

Time Lord likes this.
  15. Atticus Gryphonheart

Atticus Gryphonheart Legend of the Hearth

Why do I now feel like I should name my Character Robin and have a yellow rubber chicken as my charge on a green field.

Time Lord and herradam like this.
  16. Fireangel

Fireangel Avatar

Shroud of the Avatar has that overland map, and hexes. I wish it didn't, but it does. I understand why it does right now, but that doesn't mean I like it. Things like this are about budget, unfortunately, and that can be a Catch 22. "We can't get funding because the overland map puts players off" versus "We have to keep the overland map because we have a low budget".

Players want to just travel across a 'world'. We don't want hexes or loading screens -- and we didn't have those even as long ago as Ultima Online. We certainly don't want to go from a 'world' view to a map view to move around that world. Players want to just be able to go freely where they want to go. That means, for those of us who so fondly recall the Ultima games and UO, that we have exploration with danger but no loading screens, mounts, Mark, Recall, and Gate spells, moongate aka Lunar Rift travel, flying carpets other possibilities from the mind of Richard Garriott.

Can we get there? I certainly hope so! What will it take? More money, and people who can build it. When will Shroud of the Avatar be that game? It could never be soon enough.

17. DimwitTheWise

DimwitTheWise Avatar

People should be able to ride into town. Not into the outskirts of town, dismount, and then walk their ride throughout the city. You don't see westerns where people hop off at the outskirts and walk in. They ride their mounts, hitch them to something as Senash said, and then walk around the main part as they see fit. Or ride to lower, middle, and center town, but hitch at each location.

And yup, I love the idea of polar bear mounts and the like. Variety is good. But there needs to be a reason or way to get it (only for tamers, special quest in the mountains, etc)

Time Lord and Lord Baldrith like this.
  18. monxter

monxter Avatar

Well, I couldn't resist.

Time Lord likes this.
  19. Sundews

Sundews Avatar

Agreed. People should be allowed to fly into town on their dragons.

20. DimwitTheWise

DimwitTheWise Avatar

...and to a designated landing zone so they don't squash other people, mounts, pets, livestock, or Smith.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.