Sadly I had high hopes

Discussion in 'General Discussion' started by MagiK, Jul 26, 2016.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. MagiK

MagiK Avatar

True and true, one of the things IM doing here and with Star Citizen is that I have not been spending any real time in the game as I want it all shiny new and fresh when it goes live. I had not anticipated the running arounb and trying to grab a plot, perhaps had I sp[enmt more time reading the forums I wouldnt have been so suprprised.

Time Lord likes this.
  2. DarkStarr

DarkStarr Executive Producer SOTA Developer

I am so very sorry to hear about your accident. That is horrible! I totally hear you on there are other ways we could have handled this but those methods would have been one off systems we would have never used again that when we looked at them were actually going to be intense to implement because of having out of game systems communicate heavily with in game systems.

3. Magnus Zarwaddim

Magnus Zarwaddim Avatar

That is not a golden loo. Poor guy.

Budner, Time Lord and Cassandra Corax like this.
  4. Magnus Zarwaddim

Magnus Zarwaddim Avatar

Hey, @MagiK, don't be down. I just joined here in the last month (after R30) and just this past weekend upgraded to Edelman. @Time Lord may have the right of it. I found a nice guild and I might be able to place in there PoT (just not confirmed). Plus, you can place anytime after. Do not give up!

5. Time Lord

Time Lord Avatar

Thank You @BluntedJ , I truly mean what I had to say... :) friends are the power of our successful commerce's future.

More on Our Coming Player Driven Economy...
    We truly don't know anything about what gold is and what our economy will be like. But I can tell everyone that it sounds to me as if we will be seeing echoes of Ultima Online's Siege Perilous Shard, because some of our Portalarium's Producers were the same people that invented and worked on the shard. This was a place where gold meant nothing in it's early days, because commodities were far more valuable. They were more valuable because the NPCs stopped selling anything other than the very basic of tools that were cheap and would break extremely fast. The NPCs also didn't buy any commodities other than possibly 1gp ridiculous pricing, yet only to buy and never to sell back to any player. Gold was valuable, yet when used, it was between players, which became friends when a good supply line from both were established at any price. Vendors full of over priced items were there, yet those who made money always needed more because of deterioration and decay through their usage. Here in our SOTA, we have seen that our game's Producers have even taken decay a step further where items won't last forever without COTO, unless those were add-on or pledge items. We will see items sold by our NPCs dry up, as those items become available to be made by our players in support of our player driven economy.

Certainly, our new players and people un-use to a player driven economy will traffic through the NPC towns, yet when there's no reason to enter them, then that high traffic dries up very quickly within only a few months. We've seen this happen throughout our releases between wipes. We've also seen more players connecting with other players that bonded together and thus ran as far as was necessary to visit "their friend's vendor", rather than search through all the mostly empty vendors within our NPC towns and POTs.

We who have pledged to the game high, have little needs for making gold because our tax burdens and equipment burdens can be totally avoided if we wish to. This is where it's not the cost in gold, it's the value of the friendship that drives that individual trade route between them.

All POTs aren't the same...
    Our greater POTs have events that gather friends and thus cause such trade routes to open. A few POTs have taxes through demanding gold (shame on them), while other invite your taxes be paid through supporting that POT's events and encouraged community involvement (bravo to them). Some POTs will have an advantageous location for easy back and forth hunting and drop off, which is the other attraction that any POT can have which will stimulate vendor traffic.

Our Forums here... this is the greatest beginning trading platform we could ever have, because our map is so small that going anywhere takes only a few minutes. Those players that are actively updating what they have to sell here in our forums will have a great way of making friends, which would then eliminate the need to advertise here in our forums once those friendship connections are made and thus individual trade route opened.

Gold, who needs it? Certainly not our Nobles with tax free living. Don't look for my vendor, I'll be trading in bulk commodities, because it's bulk commodities that will have true power.

Our SOTA game developers that did work on developing Ultima Online's Siege Perilous Shard know well how powerful "The Fellowship" (TFS) was during that first year of that shard's first opening... Not just as some large guild, but as the "rulers of that shard in every way", both through commodities, PvP Order Guild, and through our embrace of multiculturalism through befriending all nationality's and differing languages. The fighters protected our gatherers, our gatherers fed our crafters and our crafters fed our fighters... Those that were with us became those most prosperous through our undying friendships, not through gold, but through commodities traded between friends. Gold was just a conduit, as it should be and will be within our SOTA.

Ultima Online's Siege Perilous was that game's producer's greatest works, yet they are now here and all saying the same things about "our coming economy being the most player driven". Thus here in our SOTA is their "Mona Lisa" of such a player driven economic system.

Now you who have read all this dribble, know more clearly why I say what I have said, because I, along with all my grand friends made "The Fellowship" as I was known there as "Hamlet", the right hand to my leader... My leader was known as "Thunderlips" the most powerful PvP player of that shard, who always preferred to be left alone to what he did best, which was killing everything between him and what he wanted :D I was just the guy who built the guild around him ;) and called him "M'Liege Lord".

But most just know me here as a friend, because I have yet here to meet my Liege Lord, "The Avatar"...
    Yet I have met my friends :) and hope to gather many more! I don't want a guild, I want trading partners...
    and even more friends :D
    ~Time Lord~:rolleyes:

6. Mykll

Mykll Avatar

Wow great posts Time Lord. Made me miss my good old UO days and the friends I met both inside my little guild "The Espers" (don't suppose anyone was in that too? Forgot server...) and outside in the community. Something to think about.

Tiki Pirate and Time Lord like this.
  7. Asclepius

Asclepius Avatar

Just another thought @MagiK - I and quite a few others that I know of (like Time Lord) will be settling exclusively in POTs. This effectively means that we will be excluding ourselves from the landrush - by arrangement with the benevolent governors of our chosen towns, our lots are waiting for us:D Now, Portalarium has promised that there will be sufficient lots for all pledges, without taking POTs into account. So I think you should find there will be a general surplus of lots over hungry avatars, at least initially.

So, as a fellow Baron, I am freeing up another city lot in NPC or PRT towns for general use. I suggest you take the first few days to run around and find a number of "acceptable" lots, in reasonable locations. Then make sure you are camped next to your favourite one as the clock counts down, or as soon afterwards as possible.

Best of luck!

Lord Baldrith, MagiK, Budner and 4 others like this.
  8. Tiki Pirate

Tiki Pirate Avatar

Hang tough. On your bad days ahead you'll be able to log in - bash some heads and sneak into someone else's hot tub. :D

9. Beaumaris

Beaumaris Avatar

Glad you are in one piece, MagiK! Had an unfortunate fender ended myself not long ago. My baby was whacked. Remember it's just a car. It can be fixed or replaced. You can't. Lots to be thankful for here.

:)

Time Lord and MagiK like this.
  10. scruffycavetroll

scruffycavetroll Avatar

you may want to read up on SC or at least try it a little bit and provide feedback then unless you really like surprises.

Time Lord and MagiK like this.
  11. MagiK

MagiK Avatar

Yep al;ways remember things can be replace (most of the time) people cannot...nor can arms or legs or kneecaps etc

Time Lord likes this.
  12. MagiK

MagiK Avatar

For the first few months I did but I was also a founder over at Star Citizen which also took up time but then I really want the games to have some of that new game feeling too :) Thanks to all you wonderful people I am once again sure that there will be some place for my little cottage that I intend to call home.

Hell between SOTA and SC I have about $20k invested in the games Im very satisfied with SC to date and I like what I see of SOTA It just got under my skin that my plot selection had to come during the work week when I will either need to be sleeping or doing work.

Bow Vale and Time Lord like this.
  13. scruffycavetroll

scruffycavetroll Avatar

jeez.

if i had that kind of throw away money i'd burn mine.

14. Retro

Retro Avatar

Dude your probably in group somewhere between 19 - 24...You'll have TONS of lots to choose from....
    https://www.shroudoftheavatar.com/?p=60540#ANCHR5

There are only like 225 people that get to pick before you??? That's NOTHING... relax.

Time Lord likes this.
  15. MagiK

MagiK Avatar

so earn it and burn it. I dont work the crazy hours I do to sit on my money. It is worthless if you do not spend it on things you like. Im old, my kids are grown and on their own so now I get to play ...well ion about 5 or 6 years

Wintermute of CoF and Time Lord like this.
  16. MagiK

MagiK Avatar

Naah Im in group 20, quite a few ahead of me it looks like. I spent the big dollars in SC and ended up coming here because Chris Roberts and I were chatting and he mentioned SOTA

Time Lord likes this.
  17. Retro

Retro Avatar

Group 20?! (You lucky bastard) and you're worried?!?...trust me you'll get a great lot, even if you wait 12-24 hours or so before picking. (wouldn't recommend)
    Assuming the list is still mostly accurate... https://www.shroudoftheavatar.com/?p=60540#ANCHR5

You only have 239 people ahead of you and and 61 at the same time....my friend you're right in the sweet spot.

As soon as the game launches, just start leveling as fast as possible, find a few lots that you like ...and try to get one...you will, good luck.

This helps alot... http://sotamap.com/

P.S. I'm a HUGE SC fan also

MagiK and Time Lord like this.
  18. MagiK

MagiK Avatar

Thanks for the info. Work will have me out till probably Friday evening at the least.

Retro and Time Lord like this.
  19. Roycestein Kaelstrom

Roycestein Kaelstrom Avatar

Don't you need to get a time off to go check with a doctor for whiplash? That is a serious condition that come with auto accident.

Time Lord likes this.
  20. WrathPhoenix

WrathPhoenix Avatar

Im in like group 22 or 23, so i get what youre talking about but trust me youll find a good place. There's always the player owned town route too :) But I too have backed star citizen and get where you're coming from about working crazy hours and spending the $$$.

I hope you stick around, seem like a cool sort. We'd probably get along well :) Really sorry to hear about your car accident! Sometimes when it rains it pours... ugh.

Retro and Time Lord like this.
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.