Salvage & Patterns

Discussion in 'Feedback' started by kaeshiva, Feb 8, 2022.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. kaeshiva

kaeshiva Avatar

While I still think there's improvements to be made with salvage system in general (esp. considering the amount of return you get when salvaging crafted goods being like, less than 1% of the invested materials) - specifically I wanted to give some feedback about patterns.

Now, back in the day you'd haul all the stuff onto the table and you'd get the expected metal/wood scraps and very very rarely, a pattern. This made some patterns particularly on rarer drop items that you might only have 1 or 2 of (such as cabalist robes, etc.) nearly impossible to get. At some point, this was buffed so that the patterns dropped a lot more often, well and good.

But then something else happened, where if you DID get the pattern, you got nothing else from the item.
    This makes zero sense from a logical perspective (I took this bow apart, and all the wood bits just magically disintegrated?) but over time, it has also resulted in a bit of hilarity.

I salvage elven bows, for example, because I'm after the bowstrings on them. I accept that in the process I wont remove every bowstring without problems, despite having done so to countless thousands of times with a base salvage level of 140+ I still manage to screw this up more often than not. But if I don't get the bowstring, I should at the very least, get a pile of wood scrap for my efforts. Instead, I get a pattern. Again. I have enough elven longbow patterns to probably pattern the bow of every player that uses bows for the foreseeable future, and I know I can't be the only one. I could carpet an entire city lot with these things and I would run out of deco limit before I run out of worthless patterns.

Now, I'm not suggesting we reduce the pattern drop rate - because this would adversely effect the ability to acquire desirable patterns on items you don't get as many of like cabalist robes or steam hammers or whatnot. But as someone who is probably never, ever going to use 1000 rusty weapon patterns or dirty clothes patterns for anything other than a poor-man's eternal pattern remover, it would sure be nice when I'm after metal scraps or components, that I'd stop losing hundreds of pounds of metal/wood to the magical disintegration fairy.

To summarize:

Too many useless patterns, getting patterns INSTEAD of materials sucks/makes no sense
    Suggest either:
    • Put it back like it was (get materials too ...papers are still just clutter but whatever)
    • Create a separate process to extract patterns if that's what you are after
    • Add a toggle when salvaging, tick this box to ignore patterns
    • Give us something else to do with the thousands of junk patterns, such as turn them in somewhere for producer xp or make them a decent sell value or let us dye them so we can use them as colored wallpaper blocks/carpet swatches ...just something :x:x

Wilfred, majoria70, Time Lord and 3 others like this.
  2. Alley Oop

Alley Oop Bug Hunter Bug Moderator

elgarion mentioned a plan to make patterns and recipes salvageable for neat stuff.

3. Cora Cuz'avich

Cora Cuz'avich Avatar

I have made this argument several times. (For the same reasons; I am mostly after bowstrings, though since this change happened, I've found metal scrap a bit tougher to come by in my normal routines.) Unfortunately, the dev takeaway always seemed to be "too many patterns = bad" no matter how I tried to explain that quantity is not the reason we're complaining about it.

Patterns are fine, they sell for okayish gold to NPC vendors. Salvaging them would also be a nice addition. But the real issue is the lack of anything else when you get a pattern, since usually "anything else" is the whole reason you're not just unloading it all to a vendor. Last time I brought this up, I also asked for clarification as to how the loot rolls worked- since we only ever get one thing, is it one roll, and patterns are diluting the table? Or is the roll for materials like elven strings separate, such that you roll for a string; if you don't get one, then you roll for a pattern. No pattern, roll for how much scrap. I never got an answer.

As for when it changed, I think it was in the R50s. When they started adding patterns for all the rusty crappy items, I recall (in a live stream, sadly) them also saying that they had linked pattern odds to your salvage skill level. I would bet that was when whatever else got broken happened. Of course, this is a 4-5 year old memory of a livestream, so grains of salt for everyone. Though, it mainly stands out because it was a change I was initially excited about, until all the side effects became apparent.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.